Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

288 Miles and an engine failure

Welp, going back again. Got over 1,000 miles on the new longblock and had the dealer change the oil under warranty a few days ago. Driving home I did a full throttle run of 2nd, 3rd, & into fourth & the check engine light started flashing, which usually indicates an emissions system issue. Maybe I’ll be the first to get 2 new motors with less than 5k on the odometer between them!
I don’t think you’ll need a new block. Chances are it was like my new motor and spark plug wires just came loose after my first real pull with it. Similar situation. Keep us updated

Welp, going back again. Got over 1,000 miles on the new longblock and had the dealer change the oil under warranty a few days ago. Driving home I did a full throttle run of 2nd, 3rd, & into fourth & the check engine light started flashing, which usually indicates an emissions system issue. Maybe I’ll be the first to get 2 new motors with less than 5k on the odometer between them!
That's horrendous. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Crossing my fingers that this is all the records you'll set and that it's smooth sailing from here. 😅

Wow........catching up on a lot of history here.

Best of luck !!

Welp guess I’ll be heavily stress testing it tomorrow at an all day track event
B969DBF4-1287-4C25-9456-C298C957DC3B.jpeg

Welp guess I’ll be heavily stress testing it tomorrow at an all day track event View attachment 17871
The black box is alive and well (if anyone doubted it). Cool write-up. You might be more stressed if it had said "test drove and duplicated customer conditions, blah, blah, blah". 😁

Well statistically speaking, it’s rare for these engines to fail. They are 10s of thousands of LT4s out there, sold since 2017 with a very low failure rate. There was even a zL1 owner who had 200K on a ZL1.

Well statistically speaking, it’s rare for these engines to fail. They are 10s of thousands of LT4s out there, sold since 2017 with a very low failure rate. There was even a zL1 owner who had 200K on a ZL1.
The LT4 has been in production since late 2014 for the C7 Z06. I believe there's 55k+ at this point, almost as many as the Hellcat motor with nearly 40k being made for the Z06, another 5k for the CTS-V and then the ZL1, CT5-V Blackwing and Escalade-V bringing in the remaining numbers.

The LT4's are stout motors I'd hazard a guess that any failures are due to poor parts due to Covid manufacturing these last two years not because of any inherent flaw in the LT4 itself.

It just sucks to see failures on the Blackwings since most people are waiting 1-2 years to finally get one but at least we all have 6 year powertrain warranties which is reassuring if they ever crap out.

The LT4 has been in production since late 2014 for the C7 Z06. I believe there's 55k+ at this point, almost as many as the Hellcat motor with nearly 40k being made for the Z06, another 5k for the CTS-V and then the ZL1, CT5-V Blackwing and Escalade-V bringing in the remaining numbers.

The LT4's are stout motors I'd hazard a guess that any failures are due to poor parts due to Covid manufacturing these last two years not because of any inherent flaw in the LT4 itself.

It just sucks to see failures on the Blackwings since most people are waiting 1-2 years to finally get one but at least we all have 6 year powertrain warranties which is reassuring if they ever crap out.
From what I’ve seen out of my motor (pieces and all when she popped) it’s extremely stout. My motor was still running even when it turned one of the titanium rods black from heat. I hope that it was just a bad batch or something that caused my motor to go and a few others but I guess we’ll never really know unless someone working at Caddy wants to sit down and give us some insight. Hopefully there are only a few motors that pop and the rest are just fine.

Took car to track yesterday. Could only run it all out late in the afternoon as the track was too wet from overnight rain most of the day. Seems to be holding up so far. I did notice that they didn’t tighten one of the exhaust manifold shield bolts, left off 2 under body panel fasteners, & replaced 1 of the 3 bolts holding on a different panel with a wildly incorrect bolt. There was oil all over the oil filter too like they didn’t tighten it well or spilled oil putting it on full & neglected to wipe it off. Has me a bit concerned that if there are all these things not done correctly that I can see what might have been done incorrectly that I can’t see? Having the parking sensor ecu retrofit done Wednesday & am going to ask this very question.

I retract my previous post. CEL is back. Exact same location as where I triggered it the first time. Haven’t been able to get it to pop up in other places/conditions. I’m not sure if a car could get more lemony when it comes to lemon laws. This is getting beyond frustrating. Maybe GM needs to send me performance car prototypes to test the bugs out of

Attachments

• F122A4EF-694C-4B91-A07B-805768A104F8.jpeg
    F122A4EF-694C-4B91-A07B-805768A104F8.jpeg
    578.3 KB · Views: 77
I retract my previous post. CEL is back. Exact same location as where I triggered it the first time. Haven’t been able to get it to pop up in other places/conditions. I’m not sure if a car could get more lemony when it comes to lemon laws. This is getting beyond frustrating. Maybe GM needs to send me performance car prototypes to test the bugs out of
Sorry to hear you're still going thru this. Hopefully they can get it fixed ASAP.

Really sorry........I was hoping you'd be good from here on......

update: they replaced a coil pack this time and everything was running great. even set personal best lap times. then today the car threw the belt and coolant and oil temps instantly jumped to about 280 degrees before I could get things shut down. stuff was boiling well over 10 minutes later after shutdown and had to be towed back to the dealer. my suspicion is that given all the other things i could see that were done wrong that something in the accessory drive system didn't get put back on correctly (maybe loose bolts? maybe something not aligned? who knows) as a belt shouldn't explode with only 6,000 miles on the clock. hitting those temps i'm thinking engine #2 might be done. here we go again...

update: they replaced a coil pack this time and everything was running great. even set personal best lap times. then today the car threw the belt and coolant and oil temps instantly jumped to about 280 degrees before I could get things shut down. stuff was boiling well over 10 minutes later after shutdown and had to be towed back to the dealer. my suspicion is that given all the other things i could see that were done wrong that something in the accessory drive system didn't get put back on correctly (maybe loose bolts? maybe something not aligned? who knows) as a belt shouldn't explode with only 6,000 miles on the clock. hitting those temps i'm thinking engine #2 might be done. here we go again...
Man you really never left the Goat pen, even spiritually.

Your Goat has more life experience then most of ours combined.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back