Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Catch can for the LT4

d0wnShifT

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5-V Blackwing
Has anyone gone through the trouble of installing catch can on these motors yet? Are there any kits available? I'm looking to do this and try to prevent the issues associated with DI engines.

Has anyone gone through the trouble of installing catch can on these motors yet? Are there any kits available? I'm looking to do this and try to prevent the issues associated with DI engines.
I’m pretty sure there’s already one from the factory on them, rather than hold the oil it recirculates it back to the engine

I’m pretty sure there’s already one from the factory on them, rather than hold the oil it recirculates it back to the engine
Might Mouse made a catch can kit on the V3 LT4 for the PCV. If it hasnt changed on the BW LT4, the PCV is piped directly inside the blower, between the TB and the rotary screws. So if you have oil getting in thru there, you'd be getting oil into the blower, potentially oil soak the intercooler bricks and sucked into the engine.

If I’m not mistaken, Tap Out @WONT TAP has one available.

If I’m not mistaken, Tap Out @WONT TAP has one available.
We agree that the factory PCV/catch can system works completely fine on LF4 engines. However, this gets removed with some aftermarket intake systems. So the catch can system we offer is designed to replace the factory PCV/catch can system for LF4 engines with aftermarket intake kits.

I thought I read somewhere that the new LF4 in the Blackwing has additional baffling in the PCV system as an improvement even over the previous LF4 in the ATS V. @Mirza Grebovic

We agree that the factory PCV/catch can system works completely fine on LF4 engines. However, this gets removed with some aftermarket intake systems. So the catch can system we offer is designed to replace the factory PCV/catch can system for LF4 engines with aftermarket intake kits.
Thanks for the info, but what are your thoughts for the LT4 engine on the CT5VBW?

I've been looking into this as well, and it appears the LT4 in the BW does have an OEM air oil separator. I think the drain back to the pan is what tipped this into production. A serviceable collector that had to be emptied regularly would have never worked for a typical owner. The link below is a LT4 crate motor (and possible dry sump?) but it does discuss the separator and the drain routing.

I've been looking into this as well, and it appears the LT4 in the BW does have an OEM air oil separator. I think the drain back to the pan is what tipped this into production. A serviceable collector that had to be emptied regularly would have never worked for a typical owner. The link below is a LT4 crate motor (and possible dry sump?) but it does discuss the separator and the drain routing.

I'm sorry, is this moron genius putting an LT4 in a freaking wrangler? I only listened to him for a minute or two, but he's super articulate...subscribed.

The kicker with that air separator is that it pulls the vapors off the lines that comes off th valve covers (goes to the black capped ports in his video). The red port goes to the intake tract before the TB.
The issue we have with LT4s is the PCV coming from the valley. That is directly piped inside the blower, which grimes up everything in there and goes into the engine.

I ran an Elite Engineering catch can on my SS and would run one again on the BW if there is a benefit (which sounds like there is). Is anyone running anything aftermarket? I wonder if there is a way to integrate the OEM unit?

Thinking more about this, I can't imagine a scenario where GM would engineer the air oil separator with no benefit of eliminating deposits on the intake valve. That is really why I have been running them.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back