Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

window tinting Blackwings....

Having 45% on sides/back done to my BW next week. I know 45% is high, but I actually don't love the too-dark look (inside or out) and want to highlight the Sky Cool Gray seats as well.

It's the first time I've actually put tint on any car - did it for heat rejection, the fact I have Rift on Sky Cool Gray (maybe too much white on white) and to flow into the 5BW's silly black rear window garnish. I've only owned one car (pictured) with tint done by a prior owner at 35% side and 30% rear, and I liked it but went a touch lighter for the BW.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1547665935991.jpg
    FB_IMG_1547665935991.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 94
That E39 is dope.

I’m a 35% rear and sides guy, nothing on the windshield.

That E39 is dope.

I’m a 35% rear and sides guy, nothing on the windshield.
Thanks! Although it was the most problematic car I've owned, it has also been my favorite, and really inspired me to go for the 5BW which is the modern equivalent.

Would love to see a pic.
Still waiting on my 5BW to be delivered...

But the 35% rear/side windows has been my go to for past vehicles... Seems the right balance of look and still great visibility for my eyes.

However, maybe I'd consider darker if I lived in a sunnier 12 month climate? Driving a dark-as-sh!t tint mobile through Ontario in December is no bueno!

Still waiting on my 5BW to be delivered...

But the 35% rear/side windows has been my go to for past vehicles... Seems the right balance of look and still great visibility for my eyes.

However, maybe I'd consider darker if I lived in a sunnier 12 month climate? Driving a dark-as-sh!t tint mobile through Ontario in December is no bueno!

Perhaps, if you consider that it gets dark early, etc. On the other hand, some of the very brightest conditions I've ever driven in are up north in winter: bright sun, nothing but white snow reflecting all the light, as far as the eyes could see. Absolutely CRITICAL to have sunglasses, more so in winter than any other time of year, in my experience. Maybe tinting would also help?

True! Definitely gets bright on a blue sky day with the white stuff on the ground (like today up here!)

But I'm biased towards no tint on the windshield and just using sunglasses for such conditions. Sunglasses can come off at night (at least for some!)

Anyone with a clear ceramic windshield tint have any issues with the HUD or the PDR? With polarized glasses?

Last edited:
Anyone with a clear ceramic windshield tint have any issues with the HUD or the PVR? With polarized glasses?
Polarized shades has been a topic before. My Maui Jim's almost completely wipe out any of the HUD. Oakley is a little better. Polarized glass doing its thing.

Polarized shades has been a topic before. My Maui Jim's almost completely wipe out any of the HUD. Oakley is a little better. Polarized glass doing its thing.
I have a few pairs of Maui Jims and Costas, and while they do reduce the visibility of the hud, it's still usable.

Last edited:
My polarized glasses dim the HUD but it’s still visible most of the time. I’m more concerned with how the tint would mix with the HUD/PDR and the glasses.

Last edited:
Anyone with a clear ceramic windshield tint have any issues with the HUD or the PVR? With polarized glasses?

My polarized glasses dim the HUD but it’s still visible most of the time. I’m more concerned with how the tint would mix with the HUD/PVR and the glasses.
I had the same concern as it made the HUD in my previous ATS very dim. I have the lightest Xpel Prime XR plus on the windshield and it actually enhanced the HUD visibility with the polarized lenses.

50% sides and back, 70% windshield. No issues with the HUD or polarized glasses with the windshield tint.

Very happy with how it came out.

Attachments

• DA1C5ADA-ABD2-4EB1-A3CC-58F15F82AA60.jpeg
    DA1C5ADA-ABD2-4EB1-A3CC-58F15F82AA60.jpeg
    532.2 KB · Views: 148
Anyone with a clear ceramic windshield tint have any issues with the HUD or the PDR? With polarized glasses?
No windshield film on any of my cars, but my polarized prescription sunglasses remove all color and about half the brightness from my 4BW HUD. Oddly, they don't effect the HUD in my Z06 at all. There's also no issue with the HUD in my wife's MDX.

I've tinted all my cars over the last 35+ years (if you look at the car commercials you will also see they do this for aesthetic purposes just like me.). On my BW I did 35% on front doors (NY Law) and 20% on rear doors and back glass, never have done windshield on any of my cars.
NY law says 30% on "all side" windows and rear windshield for passenger vehicles. NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law 375(12-a) . You can only tint the top 4-6 inches of the windshield (same 30%). Look on the sides of the windshield for the ASE line. Can't go below that line. Some guys tint their entire windshield. May as well put a flashing light on the roof that says ..."Look at me". I am in violation. I went with 50%. I never liked the very dark tint. Some cars are so dark that at night, you can't even see out, much less in. I don't need the chaos of hitting a pedestrian at night. Under NY law, if you get a ticket, it is not a "correctable" fine. Not like a headlight or brake light, where you fix it within 24 hours and then get it inspected by a cop or repair shop who signs the correction form to make the fine go away. Even if you take the tint out, you have to pay the fine. Photo of indoor and outside.

Attachments

• 20220824_073130.jpg
    20220824_073130.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 141
  • 20220823_143051.jpg
    20220823_143051.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I've got 20% SolShield IR Ceramic Film on everything but the windshield which is 70%.

No impact to HUD color, or brightness at all. 70% looks clear to me FWIW.

Regards!

I noticed your spoiler on the back is black. How did you do that?
3M carbon fiber wrap. Came out perfect ! I also did the rockers and some other parts on the front and decklid. Looks like real "expensive" CF that I don't have to worry about. PPF guy charged me $800 for everything he could do. Going around curves is very difficult not to distort it.

Attachments

• 20220719_184758.jpg
    20220719_184758.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
NY law says 30% on "all side" windows and rear windshield for passenger vehicles. NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law 375(12-a) . You can only tint the top 4-6 inches of the windshield (same 30%). Look on the sides of the windshield for the ASE line. Can't go below that line. Some guys tint their entire windshield. May as well put a flashing light on the roof that says ..."Look at me". I am in violation. I went with 50%. I never liked the very dark tint. Some cars are so dark that at night, you can't even see out, much less in. I don't need the chaos of hitting a pedestrian at night. Under NY law, if you get a ticket, it is not a "correctable" fine. Not like a headlight or brake light, where you fix it within 24 hours and then get it inspected by a cop or repair shop who signs the correction form to make the fine go away. Even if you take the tint out, you have to pay the fine. Photo of indoor and outside.
Thanks for the clarification, however the rear window can be darker than the sides.

• This law also applies to the rear window unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides.
    • The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back