Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Weight reduction

Grainofsand

Seasoned Member
Where do you think most of the weight in these cars lay? I've read that the wheels are heavy

I mean if I need to cut weight I’d probably start with my self before cutting into the cars interior or stripping plastic panels out. Could look for some mag wheels, CCBs and a CF Driveshaft I guess

We really like the Antigravity lithium battery for these cars too.

For perspective, a fully gutted and caged 4BW on 18” wheels and Hoosiers is only about 200 lbs lighter than stock. Figure the cage added about 100 lbs so best case you are looking at a 300 lb weight savings. Your big ticket items are going to be front seats, aftermarket brakes like an AP Racing kit, and lightweight 18” wheels with a light track tire like a Hoosier or Pirelli slick. A lithium battery as well, although the weight is typically in the rear where you don’t need to lose it.

300lbs is pretty significant.

I didn't know this until yesterday, but the CT4-V (non-blacking) weights only 3600 lbs. Do the extra 2 cylinders really weigh 200 lbs? It must be the extra turbo

The brakes are substantially heavier than the non-BW car. The bigger wheel/tire package probably doesn't help either.

Also don't forget the added cooling capacity (extra radiators) for the BW too. Oh and the eLSD. And beefier transmission.

Honestly, I'm kinda surprised it *only* weighs 200lb more.

Other then the lightweight battery there is no "weight reduction"

To be able to get the car under 4000 would be a dream.

a one piece aluminum drive shaft would be a logical next step if anyone will be going higher in power like cam, bigger SC etc. Which at that point there would also be other driveline upgrades needed to handle the increase in power.

I have an aluminum one piece driveshaft in my infiniti. It has been balanced by 2 different shops but I still feel a vibration at certain speeds. Just a warning to anyone considering going that route

Other then the lightweight battery there is no "weight reduction"

To be able to get the car under 4000 would be a dream.
Stock 4BW manual with CF1, full fuel.

1686656937255.png

I've been looking at ordering a CT5-V BW and wanted to know what the car would actually weigh depending on how I optioned it. If others chime in with their weight and options we can get more datapoints.

CT5-V Blackwing Weight Comparison

SourceTransmissionBrakesWheelsSunroofSeats
Weight
Motortrend6-Speed ManualCarbon CeramicStandard (Q61)NoOptional HiPo Buckets
4,067*​
Car and Driver6-Speed ManualCarbon CeramicStandard (Q61)NoOptional HiPo Buckets
4,092​
poor-sha6-Speed ManualCarbon CeramicStandard (Q61)NoOptional HiPo Buckets
4,096​
Cadillac6-Speed ManualSteelStandard (Q61)NoStandard
4,123​
Cadillac10-Speed AutoSteelStandard (Q61)NoStandard
4,142​
Car and Driver6-Speed ManualSteelStandard (Q61)YesOptional HiPo Buckets
4,207​
Motortrend10-Speed AutoSteelMesh (RHL)YesOptional HiPo Buckets
4,253​
Slick Blackwing10-Speed AutoSteelStandard (Q61)YesOptional HiPo Buckets
4,260​

* Despite having the same options (even the same paint!) as Car & Driver, Motortrend found their car was 25lb lighter. Data from poor-sha matches Car & Driver's weight. This indicates Motortrend most likely made a mistake.

** According to Car & Driver: "optional discs shed a claimed 62 pounds of rotating mass and 53 pounds of unsprung weight." I believe this means the rotors are 62lbs lighter, but carbon ceramic calipers must be 9lbs heavier.

Notes
  • Manual Transmisison saves 19lbs (high certainty)
  • Carbon Ceramic brakes save 53lbs (high certainty)
  • Optional Mesh (RHL) wheels add 27lbs (low certainty)
  • Sunroof adds 62lbs (low certainty)
  • Carbon Optional hiPo buckets save 22lbs (low certainty)
  • Not able to determine the effect of car color (Metalic or multi-stage paints can add a measurable weight penalty)
  • Not able to determine the weight of electronics options like the rear camera or supercruise (probably not significant)

Savings from Aftermarket Parts

PartWeight SavingsDescription
Lithium Battery27example Antigravity 60ah Battery: 18lbs
typical AGM Battery: 45lbs
Catted Headers12Conservative estimate based on C6 Z06 saving 13.8lbs with Kooks catted headers
Magnesium Wheels42AWC or Lightspeed magnesium wheels should be 16-ish lbs each in 19"
Titanium Lugs2Stock lugnuts: 70g
Ti lugnuts: 23g (open end) to 45g (closed end)

Last edited:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners