Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Suede vs leather steering wheels

Andi

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT5-V Blackwing 6MT
I remember on my old ZL1 the suede wheel had a thinner rim than the regular leather wheel. It was annoying and it’s why I picked leather for my BW.

But I’m thinking of switching to the suede, if its equally substantial to hold as the leather wheel.

Has anyone seen/felt both in person?

Thanks!

I've seen it in review videos and it looks like its about the same size.

I had alcantara on my old rs3 wheel on about half of it, and I never had issues with cleanliness. Just remember that it's basically fabric, so if you get stuff on it, you'll wanna clean it up and it's slightly more hassle than leather. However I think it feels nicer and stays cooler, so I optioned my 4 with the alcantara wheel and shifter.

The steering wheel shape and "heft" is the same if its suede or leather.

I like the feel of suede but it will require a little bit of cleaning to keep from getting nasty. Nothing crazy but if you clean the car once a week and wipe the wheel at the same time it should be looking good for a long time.

It might be a little thinner at the edges or corners for the spokes because its a fabric unlike leather but otherwise the wheel itself isn't really thinner, the material might make it seem that way though.

They're pretty much the same thickness. My 5BW has leather while the 5BW I drove at Spring Mountain last week had seude. It comes down to personal preference. After getting to try the seude for first time, I am glad I have the leather.

I had suede on my V3 and liked it. Because of an ordering error I didn’t end up with it on my BW. I was pretty upset about it for a while but I’ve gotten over it. I like that the suede didn’t get hot or cold. I also think it has better grip.

For daily driving, suede is disgusting on the steering wheel. A few years of it on the GT350 is more than enough to swear off that material altogether. It's just because I'm a clean freak. Suede anything is a deal breaker.

Had in two V2s and my Lotus - the cleanliness concerns are overblown. Cleaning with sonax a few times a year keeps it in good shape. Much prefer that to scratches in smooth leather.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back