Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

STS-V or CTS-V?

B

briando

Recently, I've been window shopping for an Cadillac STS-V, but one of my buddies said I should save myself 20K and go with the CTS-V. What are your thoughts? I do mostly city/highway driving to work.

What years are you comparing?

If you're looking at a V1, you're looking at a stick shift car. The STS-V is an auto and slightly bigger car.

What do you want youre "V" to do?

The CTS V1 is "only" 400 HP while I understand the STS V is 469 HP.

V1 is a stick which some people object to for city driving - I find the stick to be more fun.

STS V is auto. Much more laid back driving.
I've never driven a STS V or XLR V with the blown Northstar. Anybody in OKC area want to loan me one for a test drive?

There are lots of aftermarket parts for LS6/LS2 in the V1, so HP limit is how fat your wallet is.
I'm not sure what's available for the STS V.

The CTS V1 is "only" 400 HP while I understand the STS V is 469 HP.

V1 is a stick which some people object to for city driving - I find the stick to be more fun.

STS V is auto. Much more laid back driving.
I've never driven a STS V or XLR V with the blown Northstar. Anybody in OKC area want to loan me one for a test drive?

There are lots of aftermarket parts for LS6/LS2 in the V1, so HP limit is how fat your wallet is.
I'm not sure what's available for the STS V.

Agreed. I think the V1 market is probably more established than the STS-V?

Fwiw, I've driven the STS (not the V) and the ride was pretty soft (cushy) compared to the regular CTS. Depends on what you are looking for? With the V1, you'll get a 'sportier' feel. Might want to research the axle on the V1 first before you commit though..

Might want to research the axle on the V1 first before you commit though..

Good point.
The differential bushing on the front of the pumpkin is known for going bad. When it does, it's pretty obvious as you'll get a thunk when you get in and out of the gas or shift gears. Bushing is less than a 100 bucks but the labor is closer to 500 - ouch. Been there, done that.

Another issue is noise and worn gears. I drove my V1 for almost 7 years and didn't have this issue but some have.

STS-V don't have much in the aftermarket section...most I've seen is on d3cadillac.com
V1 possibilities are like.mentioned as deep as your wallet is.
I love my STS-V, it is the predecessor to the V2 and discontinued only 2500 STS-Vs were made so it is almost as rare as the GXP G8...
I always get compliments on mine even when dirty
Enjoy the hunt...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

So did you get a CTS-V or STS-V?

Recently, I've been window shopping for an Cadillac STS-V, but one of my buddies said I should save myself 20K and go with the CTS-V. What are your thoughts? I do mostly city/highway driving to work.

I own both - so perhaps I can give you my thoughts - I keep both in Rome Italy and drive them at their engineering limits - so in the case of the STS-V that means cruising at speeds that hit the limiter at 250 kmh - tires than get changed every 15k, brake pads that are replaced at 10k and full oil changes at 3-4k - the STS-V is a more elegant car than the CTS-V but it does not handle as well - we are talking about degrees here but the STS is more or a highway cruiser while the CTS eats up the back roads and handles like a go-kart.

Also its top speed is 308 kmh and it chews up rubber and pads with the same abandon as the older heavier sibling. For sheer fun I would choose a 2009-2014 CTS-V but if you don't need the performance or cannot use the performance then I would go for the STS-V. Next March I am driving from Rome -> Barcelona -> Seville -> Gibraltar -> over the straights to Africa -> Tangier and then back to Italy. Its about 4,500 km in all. I have decided to do it in the STS - because it is the perfect GT cruiser - it will cruise all day between 150-200 kmh and will eat up the asphalt on those magnificent Italian, French and Spanish highways (not sure about the Moroccan ones though).

So as you said the car will be used for city/highway driving to work I would take your friend's advice and buy the STS-V - you won't be disappointed.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back