Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Spring Mountain- Track insurance?

Commonman

Seasoned Member
Going to Spring Mountain soon. They offered extra insurance to me but I declined. Is it a no brainer to accept or decline it. What do people do with this decision and explain the rational. Thanks, CW

I declined it. Still ran sub 1:19 on the east track in a 4 without ever really feeling like it was about to go off in to the dirt. One dude did go off in to the dirt but didnt cause any damage. He was in the slowest group so likely would have gone off in to the dirt next to his driveway too.

I'm planning to get it when I go...just for extra piece of mind...one never knows...

I got it. Took one wheel of track. For how much just a splitter and front bumper costs these days, it’s cheap insurance

I think it depends on your experience. If you're a novice, you're going to be driving with the same and maybe the insurance is worth it. For experienced drivers, I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario where the cost is warranted (did have someone spin a 4BW in front of me last time I was there but there was no damage.)

I’ve been reading your posts and I recommend anyone with you on the track at the same time get insurance!🤪
I certainly think I'm a very safe driver...and skillful...but others would likely think I sometimes take chances or drive in a way thats more on the edge and that (many) others would be uncomfortable with. Comments from some of my passengers (the more skittish kind0 have reinforced this belief. (and when I think I am driving pretty normally/sedately conscientious of the fact that I have passengers)

Most of the time I'm pretty sedate when driving (at least conforming to norms that folks here might follow...OK a little fast but nothing outrageous). I drive like a grandpa in neighborhoods and in town and such (and often think others on the road are going too hard for the environment....kids and animals and such). I'm a responsible driver who always uses my turn signal and with energized constant awareness/minimum distraction etc.

That being said - I am still relatively unfamiliar with the 4BW and its high speed driving dynamics...but I know I will push it on the track (I mean why am I even there). Even with all my (hard & fast) driving experience I expect to learn a lot and to have my eyes open to things. Thats what I'm most expecting and looking forward to. And having some fun of course...we are all driving enthusiasts here pretty much I think.

For me...the two times I've been there it's a NO. I have some experience and know my and the cars limits; quite honestly never having to approach either of them.
I brought my older son the first time and he paid for the upgrade. I will be bringing my younger son next time(when I get my 5 BW), and will ask/require that he pay the upgrade for himself as well

It's literally cheap insurance for $200 bucks. I spent more at the local dispensary, The Source, in Pahrump, which is a much better place than the touristy Planet 13 in Vegas. And go to the Punk Rock Museum while you're at it.

Is the insurance absolutely necessary......NO. My group of 15 only had one guy go off into the gravel and did no damage. For you to crash and really damage the car......you have to really, really screw up. My attitude was, since Cadillac was paying $4000 for me to attend, I would pay for the piece of mind. If your money is tight, don't buy it. Use it for a nice hat.

Is the insurance absolutely necessary......NO. My group of 15 only had one guy go off into the gravel and did no damage. For you to crash and really damage the car......you have to really, really screw up. My attitude was, since Cadillac was paying $4000 for me to attend, I would pay for the piece of mind. If your money is tight, don't buy it. Use it for a nice hat.
Or use it for a nice jacket, which I did😀.

Thank you for this discussion; I'm heading to SM for the February 21 / 22 session.

I'm 70% going to buy the insurance. That will go to 100% if there is any chance of rain / drizzle.

I'll make a decision at arrival.

Thank you for this discussion; I'm heading to SM for the February 21 / 22 session.

I'm 70% going to buy the insurance. That will go to 100% if there is any chance of rain / drizzle.

I was under the impression that there was a cutoff for deciding and it wasn’t the arrival day, but I could be wrong. Someone should contact you via email with that info.

Sure, the weather is a factor. I'm used to driving on tracks lined with ARMCO, trees and cement barriers. Lots of stuff to hit. At SM, it's just a big flat desert, so you have to be pretty darn stupid to hit something. IIRC. You decide.

But if it is only $200, heck you could lose that in 5 minutes at the craps table, or if you're with @division he probably drops that in a single trip to the dispensary. LOL

I got it. Took one wheel of track. For how much just a splitter and front bumper costs these days, it’s cheap insurance
But even their insurance has a deductible, doesn't it?

I'll also add that the instructors will try to keep you in line and help to reduce the chance of you going off and getting hurt. So there's that.

Although as my wife likes to say, you can't fix stupid.

edit: I'm not saying that you, @Deneed4spd are stupid. Just pointing out that some people do stupid stuff, and there's nothing to prevent that.

Sure, the weather is a factor. I'm used to driving on tracks lined with ARMCO, trees and cement barriers. Lots of stuff to hit. ...
Sounds like my local track, Pacific Raceways!

The autocross doesn't even have orange cones to run over. The spray some white reference lines. There were a couple of cones at the start and finish lines IIRC.

The autocross doesn't even have orange cones to run over. The spray some white reference lines. There were a couple of cones at the start and finish lines IIRC.
The whole thing was lined with cones when I was there April 2023.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back