Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Spring Mountain Impressions

Interesting you should mention, I also drove #41 when I was there in February, and it had some pretty bad shaking under hard braking on day 1. I told my instructor about it, and he drove it at the end of the day, confirmed the issue, and had them replace the brakes (pads and rotors) overnight. The problem was gone on day 2.

Reading between the lines, sounds like TY was a bit too hard on the brakes and jacked up #41 …. permanently.

Reading between the lines, sounds like TY was a bit too hard on the brakes and jacked up #41 …. permanently.

Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

What I found interesting was someone in class asked how close are the times of a C8 vs 5BW on the same track and the instructor said the times are virtually the same.

What I found interesting was someone in class asked how close are the times of a C8 vs 5BW on the same track and the instructor said the times are virtually the same.
Or they wanted to just let BW owners feel good??

If it means anything, they had the same time in the U-drag video. Each has their own disadvantages/ advantages.

Makes sense since the 5BW has an extra 170 HP to offset the extra mass. The C8 Z06 will be a different story.

def gonna depend on the track. the VIR times are pretty close b/c of the high speed areas, but a shorter technical track with few or no straightaways is gonna go to the c8. there's also several different setups at spring mountain. one of the instructors in my session said the c8 was a lot faster on certain tracks there.

I'll be running here on 5/22...

I believe there are two C8 Z51s entered as well as a GT500. Not sure if the GT500 is Track Pack or not. I do know one of the C8 drivers is pretty good. I'll do my best to report back times.

There was a C8 Z51 out the day I ran the Daytona Rolex course. He was in advanced with me, but he was so slow, I wonder if he was new to the car. The FIRM might be a better comparison because it's a short track.

I'll be running here on 5/22...

I believe there are two C8 Z51s entered as well as a GT500. Not sure if the GT500 is Track Pack or not. I do know one of the C8 drivers is pretty good. I'll do my best to report back times.

There was a C8 Z51 out the day I ran the Daytona Rolex course. He was in advanced with me, but he was so slow, I wonder if he was new to the car. The FIRM might be a better comparison because it's a short track.
the driver mod is a big one. I've ran 1:49 at my local track and the other guys that I know that have z51 C8s struggle to go much faster than 1:55 when their cars are clearly capable of a lot more. the only c8s with better drivers i've seen lap times for were modified with at least track only tires and pads

def gonna depend on the track. the VIR times are pretty close b/c of the high speed areas, but a shorter technical track with few or no straightaways is gonna go to the c8. there's also several different setups at spring mountain. one of the instructors in my session said the c8 was a lot faster on certain tracks there.
I agree, I took it with a grain of salt knowing that. You could say that about almost any comparison, no car is perfect. Track conditions, temp, tire size, driver experience, trim levels, transmission choice and I'm sure I'm forgetting variables.

To be a fair comparison it would have to be the same pro driver on the same track with the same tires and stock setup ( or both track aligned) doing back to back runs within a few hours of each other. Even then you could get different times from each car.

They said the 4BW and 5BW could also have similar times in Autocross but it would be more difficult to manage the extra power and size to get those times.

There's a good chance I'm going to have to give up my Sept 28-29 slots. I have two slots reserved, both for 4VBW, one manual and one auto. If anyone wants to swap their sweltering and greasy-tire August reservations for my pleasant and grippy Sept slots, I'm all ears -- maybe the SM ladies will accept a swap, since it saves them effort.

There's a good chance I'm going to have to give up my Sept 28-29 slots. I have two slots reserved, both for 4VBW, one manual and one auto. If anyone wants to swap their sweltering and greasy-tire August reservations for my pleasant and grippy Sept slots, I'm all ears -- maybe the SM ladies will accept a swap, since it saves them effort.
Screenshot_20230516_131855_Chrome.jpg

nuclear explosion bomb GIF

Actually late September could be a good time to go, may be in the mid 80s or somewhere in the 90s. I went late April and it was low 90s/high 80s. With the AC and windows up there isn't much time standing on the tarmac.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back