Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Side swiped a concrete pillar in a parking garage

I'm gutted right now. My parking garage has a horrible 2 way traffic design which often results in near accidents with people not giving enough space. Yesterday when driving up, a driver zoomed around the corner, which caused me to turn in to avoid, and I side swiped a concrete pillar going around the corner. The damage looks pretty bad, the rear fender in particular. I haven't needed auto body repair before, so I'm not sure where to go from here. Should I contact insurance, the dealership, or try to find some independent shop and get a quote? Pictures NSFW
View attachment 9444
wow so sorry to hear about this. Are you referring to the garage under 151 Farmington in Hartford? Years ago I worked for Aetna and that garage was notorious for such things, if memory serves me right.

wow so sorry to hear about this. Are you referring to the garage under 151 Farmington in Hartford? Years ago I worked for Aetna and that garage was notorious for such things, if memory serves me right.
Nope I'm in Stamford, I would guess it's a similar situation though.

I ordered some, should i put some clear coat on in the mean time?
Unless you are parking this outside in Florida swamp humidity and hurricanes, minimal if any surface rust is going to form before you take it somewhere. Also any shop that you roll up to with the damage covered up with clear coat or anything else will not be pleased as its just going to add more work for them to prep the surface and likely make them charge you more out of spite. I know it looks bad but leave as is and let shops get a full understanding of the damage without any foreign objects - clear coat or other rust inhibitors. Just my opinion from past experience doing body work and surface prep.

Good to know, I'll leave it alone for now. Anybody have any clue if bent metal like that on the quarter panel will be repairable, or do you think it will need to be replaced?

When you get a crunch in a creased edge area, it's much harder to repair and make look perfect (you don't want anything less). I'd suspect qp replacement would be done.

Good to know, I'll leave it alone for now. Anybody have any clue if bent metal like that on the quarter panel will be repairable, or do you think it will need to be replaced?
If metal is there it can be pulled and reworked. Being that this is a door from a standard Cadillac ct4, they'll likely get a new panel. My gf's 2017 civic got t boned at 15mph and they just went ahead and replaced the whole door, quoted insurance about 1400 for the door itself if Irecall correctly so actual cost was likely decently lower. For that that looks like, they would probably replace the door and rocker and repair the fender by pulling it straight and a bit of Bondo. They'd then blend the fender and paint the door /rocker as those would like arrive just primed. Being black and not metallic makes it a bit easier to get looking right in my opinion too.

A little update for you guys. I finally was able to bring it to a well reviewed auto body shop in the area. They quoted me 3,500 for repairs, no replacement needed for the rear quarter panel or door. I'm gonna be bringing it there on Wednesday with an estimated repair time of 1.5 weeks. The rear quarter panel and door are steel, had they been aluminum, repair wouldn't have been possible, and it's apparently a really severe job due to needing to un-weld the rear quarter panel and weld a new one on, so I'm really glad he says he can repair and repaint it. I will not be going through my insurance despite having a 500$ deductible for obvious reasons.

A little update for you guys. I finally was able to bring it to a well reviewed auto body shop in the area. They quoted me 3,500 for repairs, no replacement needed for the rear quarter panel or door. I'm gonna be bringing it there on Wednesday with an estimated repair time of 1.5 weeks. The rear quarter panel and door are steel, had they been aluminum, repair wouldn't have been possible, and it's apparently a really severe job due to needing to un-weld the rear quarter panel and weld a new one on, so I'm really glad he says he can repair and repaint it. I will not be going through my insurance despite having a 500$ deductible for obvious reasons.
Just a suggestion: if you have a $500 insurance deductible, but don't plan on using it unless the damage is very significant... then consider getting your insurance to raise it to $1000 or even $1500+.
I know we all like to have it be low just in case, but you may be able to significantly lower your insurance rates by raising the deductible to an amount that seems uncomfortable now, but doable in a time of real need. (You can always lower it again if your life circumstances change)

Just a suggestion: if you have a $500 insurance deductible, but don't plan on using it unless the damage is very significant... then consider getting your insurance to raise it to $1000 or even $1500+.
I know we all like to have it be low just in case, but you may be able to significantly lower your insurance rates by raising the deductible to an amount that seems uncomfortable now, but doable in a time of real need. (You can always lower it again if your life circumstances change)
Reasonable advice. :thumb:

Thought I would update you guys, the body shop repaired the panels, no replacement was necessary. They sent me pictures of the process along the way, $3500 in total. I'm very happy with the results!

IMG_8105.jpg
IMG_8114.jpg
IMG_8185.jpg
IMG_8184.jpg
IMG_8183.jpg

Here's a before and after
20220702_122556.jpg
20220702_122523.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8184.jpg
    IMG_8184.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Thought I would update you guys, the body shop repaired the panels, no replacement was necessary. They sent me pictures of the process along the way, $3500 in total. I'm very happy with the results!

View attachment 10027View attachment 10028View attachment 10030View attachment 10031View attachment 10032
Here's a before and after
View attachment 10033View attachment 10034
Sorry to see this brother, sucks, glad you have a good shop repairing this. You'll never know it even happened.

Awesome, now THAT looks good! Happy to hear this ended up on a positive note

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners