Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

*Should* I pay over MSRP

Sarcastic Sarcasm GIF
I don’t think he’s being sarcastic.

IMO you’re crazy if you think GM is going to stop making these anytime soon when they have a massive waiting list even after the ridiculous $7k MSRP bump.

IMO you’re crazy if you think GM is going to stop making these anytime soon when they have a massive waiting list even after the ridiculous $7k MSRP bump.
Well it may seem like a massive wait list on the forum but in the grand scheme of GM vehicles it's not.

General Motors Co. (GM) delivered 2.2 million vehicles in 2021, with Chevrolet and GMC cementing the company’s eighth consecutive year of combined full-size and midsize pickup sales leadership, second consecutive year as the full-size pickup sales leader and its 21st consecutive year as the market leader in full-size SUVs.

Sedans are dead, look around when you're on the road and you are in a sea of SUVs.

Well it may seem like a massive wait list on the forum but in the grand scheme of GM vehicles it's not.

General Motors Co. (GM) delivered 2.2 million vehicles in 2021, with Chevrolet and GMC cementing the company’s eighth consecutive year of combined full-size and midsize pickup sales leadership, second consecutive year as the full-size pickup sales leader and its 21st consecutive year as the market leader in full-size SUVs.

Sedans are dead, look around when you're on the road and you are in a sea of SUVs.

Agreed. The BWs are a low volume vehicle for the shrinking enthusiast market. What did they produce for 2022, like 1700 4BWs and 1600 5BWs? Drop in the bucket. For comparison, GM is producing and selling north of the 30k C8 Corvettes per year.

GM is still in business because of their pickup truck and SUV sales.

They only way they keep selling the current CT4/5 and Camaro past 2023/2024 is if the EV version is not ready and they don’t need to retool the Lansing plant yet.

Respective forum population for any platform is tiny when compared to the overall market. With American OEMs moving away from sedans and GM's proposed EV strategy, I dont see a bright future for BWs.

ADM aside, how many dealers are charging "fees" and people are paying dealer "fees" and dealer add on packages? Some dealers are charging up to $1000 doc fees, some are charging from a few hundred to thousands in add ons. It's almost po-ta-to po-tat-o. Dealer one charges $900 doc fee and a $5000 appearance package and no ADM, but dealer two charges $100 doc fee, has no add ons, but $5000 ADM, it's the same.

Once again, you do you. It's what works best for you.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I love how there are people on both sides some who say go for it and others who say wait.

Let me ask this then--what is the odds that I get a 6MT BW (no carbon fiber add ons) in less than 12 mos? I will call the dealer (but am hesitant to call to ask my place in line as I do not want to hound them) but say I am in the top 3. The dealer is in southern CA and has sold 5BWs (including one 22 5BW recently and another 23 in transit to them)--I doubt they are going to give me an honest answer on chance of an allocation, correct?

Decisions, decisions! The way I see it though, the car is going in my 3rd garage and likely won't be sold and I'll just buy an EV (unless something happens to the availability of gasoline in the years ahead). So this is my dream car (at least until an affordable Celestiq comes out!)

Thank you everyone for the replies. I love how there are people on both sides some who say go for it and others who say wait.

Let me ask this then--what is the odds that I get a 6MT BW (no carbon fiber add ons) in less than 12 mos? I will call the dealer (but am hesitant to call to ask my place in line as I do not want to hound them) but say I am in the top 3. The dealer is in southern CA and has sold 5BWs (including one 22 5BW recently and another 23 in transit to them)--I doubt they are going to give me an honest answer on chance of an allocation, correct?

Decisions, decisions! The way I see it though, the car is going in my 3rd garage and likely won't be sold and I'll just buy an EV (unless something happens to the availability of gasoline in the years ahead). So this is my dream car (at least until an affordable Celestiq comes out!)
Your odds increase significantly if you can buy out of state. A quick search on cars.com shows 41 CT5V - Blackwings with M6 available nationwide. If you build your car on the Cadillac site you can see how many are in transit, I see 339 nationwide. Not all of these are spoken for. If the M6 take rate is the same as 2022 then maybe 30-40% of these are manual. most will not have carbon fiber since that is on constraint.

Regardless of whether you want to pay more than MSRP or not, you are buying a product from them. You should not feel like your inconveniencing them just because you want to know the likelihood of that product being sold to you. You're asking them to do their job at that point. You need to be diligent about these questions if you want to save money.

If I was in your shoes in that I did not want to pay more than MSRP and I wanted the car within a certain time frame then I'd be calling every Cadillac dealer in CA and asking these questions. Then I'd be putting my name on the lists at any dealership that gave in answers that fulfilled my requirements. You just need to buy a car in CA to avoid headaches and there 50+ Cadillac dealers in CA. You can ship a car enclosed anywhere in that state for 1k or less.

If you're going to stick with the order and wait, as others have said cast the net wide and get on Beverly Hills and South SF lists as big dealers will theoretically more allocation, in addition to what you're on already.
And then estalk all the other dealers for inventory :)

I went out of state (Reno) for my 4BW and it was a breeze to smog and register. Maybe the 5BW engine needs more faffing about, so discount what I'm saying then, but I would be checking Western US stock too.

The attached was circulated a while back and should assist you understanding what dealers received and how many.

You will have to do the leg work, as others have said, find out how many allocations they received for MY22 and where will you be on the wait list.

I made the mistake with my first order whereas I didn't ask the dealer how many V series cars they had moved (which is the driving force behind allocations). I figured they were a small dealer, and I was #1 on the wait list I was in good shape. Turns out they received two 4BW's but no 5BW allocation. So, I waisted almost a year before I placed 2 additional orders with other dealers, totaling now 3 orders. I got lucky as I stumbled onto a member on here that told me my local dealer had delivered (7) 5BW'S so I called them again (first experience was a BS one, that dude was fired). Now 7 months later I have an 10/21 ETA.

Good luck brother!

Attachments

• V Registry 05-02-2022 US and Canada.pdf
    224.5 KB · Views: 71
You don't want to bother them, but at the same time you don't want them to forget about you. I went into my dealer once a month to visit my sales guy. I would send him a text and say I would like to come in and we setup an appointment. Can't say that would work for you, but I got a 5BW in 5 months.

If you take the sage advice from many here please understand that not all dealers are on the up and up in regard to their allocations. Some knowingly and some are just plain ignorant. Either could hurt you.

I love the angle that others have posted in this thread, will you be at peace with paying extra? This is like transmission choice, color, etc, only you can decide where you'll be content and not having one at all is not contentment by any measure (but I feel strongly you can find one without paying ADM).

I love the angle that others have posted in this thread, will you be at peace with paying extra? This is like transmission choice, color, etc, only you can decide where you'll be content and not having one at all is not contentment by any measure (but I feel strongly you can find one without paying ADM).

Exactly, the car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

As far as having remorse over it, well, nobody likes paying more than they should, especially to a greedy dealer that adds little to no value in the transaction. I think that is my biggest gripe. The dealer buys the car at invoice, which is a healthy profit already on a $100k car, then adds $10k+ ADM, plus misc dealer fees, plus financing kickbacks and usually low balls your trade-in at least by the tax savings amount and rinse and repeat. Inventory may be low but dealers are making more money now than ever. The only way to correct this market is to not pay these ADMs.

IMO, if you plan to keep the car long term then overpaying a bit to ensure you get one now and enjoy it while you can is worth some coin but if you plan to sell it in 2-3 years because you are tired of shifting, getting 12mpg and spending $2k on tires every year then you may want to shop around some more and try to minimize your depreciation.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back