Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

*Should* I pay over MSRP

SacLacFan17

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2020 CT5-V (2020-2022), 2023 6MT CT5-V BW (Raven Black)
Hi everyone long-time Cadillac enthusiast. own a 2020 non BW CT5v and love it; but want to upgrade so I can get the blackwing. Question – I have a dealership who is willing to part with a blackwing to my liking (6MT) however they’re asking for 10 over MSRP.

I have not one but two orders in at different dealers, one at MSRP, another at five over MSRP.l but both placed in the last couple weeks (9/2022).

Question – would you wait? Or would you go ahead and buy over MSRP? I ask I am just not sure I’ll truly get the car any time in less than 1 year ((I would be ok with 6 mos).

*Should I wait? If you’re asking yes I’d rather save the money I’m just not sure based on reading this forum if I’ll ever get a delivery. Order placed on 9/12/22. Thank you guys for your help!

Hi everyone long-time Cadillac enthusiast. own a 2020 non BW CT5v and love it; but want to upgrade so I can get the blackwing. Question – I have a dealership who is willing to part with a blackwing to my liking (6MT) however they’re asking for 10 over MSRP.

I have not one but two orders in at different dealers, one at MSRP, another at five over MSRP.l but both placed in the last couple weeks (9/2022).

Question – would you wait? Or would you go ahead and buy over MSRP? I ask I am just not sure I’ll truly get the car any time in less than 1 year ((I would be ok with 6 mos).

*Should I wait? If you’re asking yes I’d rather save the money I’m just not sure based on reading this forum if I’ll ever get a delivery. Order placed on 9/12/22. Thank you guys for your help!
If it’s a MY22 you’re really only paying 3k over sticker since GM bumped up the base price on ‘23’s. So I’d do it!

Also, how many allocations have those dealers received to date? And where are you on the list for allocations? That shit can be real tricky, I spent 13 months on one of my orders and was first on list but they never received a 5 allocation.

You do you...
But since you asked😉
If you are already willing to pay 5k over msrp for a 5bw (not a 4 correct?) and I'm assuming that you're cool with colors/ options, then my few questions are:
1) whether it is worth 5k (more) to be guaranteed to have the car tomorrow (assuming it's already on their lot). Putting an order in is no guarantee of an allocation at any dealer and you did not mention where you are in the queue at each dealer... let alone the wait you may have 6 months, a year, longer? Also you don't know what constraints there may be if/when you get an allocation.
2) if it's one on the lot already, then I'm assuming it's a 22 which is around a solid 10k (depending on options) less than a 23 so the adm would be a wash.
3) new or used... and if used then how many miles and what type of warranty coverage... and are you ok with missing out on Spring Mountain (could always pay another 4k for that).

Your choice, your money. If you can afford it, then good for you... and I can tell you this car is a friggin' blast!

Best of luck and remember you just have to justify your choice to yourself (and maybe significant other),...not us knuckleheads.

^Same as SR7 - if it's a '22 that is only a couple grand over the '23 for the same car, but you get it now. Consider it a FOMO-GTFO-YOLO tax.
Give them a song & dance about what a hardcore MSRP person you are and say you can do $7k and not a penny more.

If it was meant to be you can give us a delivery thread with the results :)

Thanks guys. It’s actually a 23 and it’s the perfect build that I want (color, 6MT, etc). Msrp is 98k. They want 110. (Or I got them down that far).

Also they gave me option to lease—now if i 200% want to own this car for the foreseeable future should I not even entertain that? Credit is good so not an issue but I do want to own the car outright at some point. Not even worry about that and just buy if I do?

I'd stick with the MSRP order. Given what's happening to BW4 prices I assume the BW5 will follow that trend. The BW4 also had an ADM early on and now discounts are becoming more prevalent. I think production of BW5s will last longer than the ability to obtain and ADM will. I actually think we'll see BW5s discounted before production of the 23' model year ends. This economy is heading for a fed induced recession and demand for 100k toys that get poor gas mileage while gas is over $6 a gallon in CA will likely take a hit. Also, the real demand for a BW5 is hard to gauge. A lot of people waiting for an allocation have orders in with multiple dealers. That means that as cars are allocated to one dealer other dealers see orders canceled. What looks like 5000 orders may only be driven by demand for 1500 cars. I just see no reason to pay a premium when with patience you'll get a car at a decent price.

All that said, there aren't many inbound BW5s to CA dealers that have a 6MT. While I personally wouldn't pay over MSRP, if you decide to and the dealer you are speaking with is out of state, make sure the car has CA emissions.

Last edited:
Really
I'd stick with the MSRP order. Given what's happening to BW4 prices I assume the BW5 will follow that trend. The BW4 also had an ADM early on and now discounts are becoming more prevalent. I think production of BW5s will last longer than the ability to obtain and ADM will. I actually think we'll see BW5s discounted before production of the 23' model year ends. This economy is heading for a fed induced recession and demand for 100k toys that get poor gas mileage while gas is over $6 a gallon in CA will likely take a hit. Also, the real demand for a BW5 is hard to gauge. A lot of people waiting for an allocation have orders in with multiple dealers. That means that as cars are allocated to one dealer other dealers see orders canceled. What looks like 5000 orders may only be driven by demand for 1500 cars. I just see no reason to pay a premium when with patience you'll get a car at a decent price.

All that said, there aren't many inbound BW5s to CA dealers that have a 6MT. While I personally wouldn't pay over MSRP, if you decide to and the dealer you are speaking with is out of state, make sure the car has CA emissions.
This is really good advice, thank you.

Dealer is in California (Southern California) and I believe I am 3 or 4 on the list for an allocation and they've sold 5BWs before; so at least I won't have to worry about emissions.

I think I may wait it out (as you're right I will highly regret it if prices do drop just because I was impatient and didn't want to wait 6 months). It would be *so* much easier if I even had a ballpark vs stuck in "1100" status for who knows how long.

If you look at the used car market you can get a sense of what will eventually start happening to the new car market. Prices are starting to drop pretty quickly for used vehicles, which obviously are way overpriced right now. Interest rates have climbed from 0-2% to 5-6% on automobiles. Factor in the overall inflation, tanking stock market and don’t forget we are headed into the winter months. As a result we are finally starting to see prices level off or drop.

I was in the same boat as you a few months back. Had locked in MSRP cars at two dealerships. Waited waited and waited some more. Never got a call for the allocation. I finally found a local dealer that had the car I was looking for but it was at 10 K over MSRP. I bargained with them a little bit and was able to get it down an extra $2000. I wound up taking the car. I am so happy that I did as the inventory shortage is real. If you can get something now you better get it. When I locked in the interest rates for a new car purchase We’re at 3%. I just checked yesterday as my wife needs a new vehicle and they are now at 5 1/2%. So glad I did it when I did as I would’ve wound up paying more anyway with the added percentage rate

I was in the same boat as you a few months back. Had locked in MSRP cars at two dealerships. Waited waited and waited some more. Never got a call for the allocation. I finally found a local dealer that had the car I was looking for but it was at 10 K over MSRP. I bargained with them a little bit and was able to get it down an extra $2000. I wound up taking the car. I am so happy that I did as the inventory shortage is real. If you can get something now you better get it. When I locked in the interest rates for a new car purchase We’re at 3%. I just checked yesterday as my wife needs a new vehicle and they are now at 5 1/2%. So glad I did it when I did as I would’ve wound up paying more anyway with the added percentage rate

Really

This is really good advice, thank you.

Dealer is in California (Southern California) and I believe I am 3 or 4 on the list for an allocation and they've sold 5BWs before; so at least I won't have to worry about emissions.

I think I may wait it out (as you're right I will highly regret it if prices do drop just because I was impatient and didn't want to wait 6 months). It would be *so* much easier if I even had a ballpark vs stuck in "1100" status for who knows how long.

Ask them. Ask them what place in line you are and how many '22 5BW they brought in. If the number sounds bad then call other dealerships, do the same thing. Get in line at any dealerships that will do MSRP and have good history with the vehicle that fits your time line. If you're diligent you can easily have a car in 6-9 months.

Everyone knows my story. If it's almost the exact the car you have on order, I'd try to get them down some, but for $10K, I'd do it. You'll have it now verses maybe later (maybe not at all pending the dealer and allocations) and be enjoying it now. I absolutely love my 5 and I'm glad to have it.

a bird in-hand is worth 2 in the bush as they say........

Pay the $10K over sticker…..pay the 5.5% loan interest…..that’s the way to go!!
Sarcastic Sarcasm GIF

By order, do you mean a real allocation or just the allusion that you placed an order? That matters to the discussion, but either way I would NEVER pay extra mark-up because I lacked patience. Consider the effort it takes to net $10,000 cash and balance that with the fact that it's not that hard to find one at MSRP. No way am I just going stack bills on top of my $106,000 check for the car, F-no!

World economics are changing rapidly and patience is in your favor. I jumped the line by 30+ orders because I was willing to forgo CF 1 & 2, and some folks ahead of me got cold feet.

Overall market is definitely softening but i think it might take a little longer to impact brand new 5BW market.

I have never paid MSRP for any of my vehicles (expect the ones which i bought this year) and its hard to imagine paying a markup for any vehicle. If its an instock vehicle with your exact spec, i might be tempted to negotiate on the ADM. With current allocation and production uncertainties, it might be ok pay a little more. Have your tried reaching out to the sales manager and see if they can bring down the ADM?

I think another factor to consider is how long you plan to keep the car. If this is a car you plan to keep and ride off into the Supercharged ICE sunset then you could probably justify overpaying a bit since these cars are going away in a year or so.

That said, I couldn't do it since I tend to only keep cars about 2-3 years max as I tend to get bored and want to experience something new.

If you need a car and you really want it to be a Blackwing and you plan to keep it for years then id say go for it.

Spending $100k on a car is a completely emotional decision so what's another few k if you get a chance to own what you truly want vs risking you won't get one. You could buy used but you'll end up paying more if it's within the next year.

-There is a slim chance you'll get a 23 if you just placed your order. Honesty, there is a chance you won't get a 24 either.
-we don't know if the price will go up on a 24 or if there will be a 24 model year at all. There are people on this forum that work for GM and know but they'll lose their job if they say anything.They already have their BWs but maybe that's a coincidence.
-you buy out of state then prepare to deal with the lengthy process of getting CARB approval. Look this up on the forum it can be a nightmare.
-what is the shipping cost from another state?
-how much do you trust your dealer you have orders with?

I put my first order in August of 2021 and the 2nd in Dec 2021. I bought mine in July 22 from a Northern CA dealer. This is the going rate in CA, about $10k over with no additional add ons. Sometimes you find a dealer at MSRP, some of them add padding of $2k to $5k in addons.

i was in the waiting camp until the 23 pricing came out and $7k increase on a 23 didn't make sense, esp when you have no idea if you will actually get a BW. My rate was around 3% apr. The final nail in the coffin was the color I wanted was already on constraint, the replacement color for 23 is apparently on constraint too but who knows.

You have to do the math on the existing deal and ask yourself if it's worth taking the risk that you may never get one. I hope those that wait get them, and that it doesn't come with another price increase in 24. But there are no guarantees on ANYTHING this point. With any luck GM may decide to produce BWs for another 5 years and they'll be selling at invoice.

Can you live with your decision?

Last edited:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop