Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Refundable deposit shenanigans

This is an interesting one for me as deposit(s) are treated as liabilities in terms of financial bookkeeping which basically means the money is only accounted for not spent. So why would it matter to wait until the car is sold, etc., just doesn't add up.

If you plan on using these guys for the 5BW then I would insist your deposit be moved onto the new order, especially since you didn't sign and or acknowledge the return deposit policy terms and conditions.

Good luck

Is this Pepe Cadillac by any chance ?

So did most of you guys put down a deposit when you ordered? I didn't....the dealership didn't ask and I didn't offer.....

So did most of you guys put down a deposit when you ordered? I didn't....the dealership didn't ask and I didn't offer.....

Initially, I had orders in at 3 dealerships. 2 had deposits, 1 did not. Shockingly, the dealer with no deposit is the one who got me a car. :D

Sewell-Houston did not require a deposit - nor did they even any paperwork to be signed. They said "no obligation" to purchase when the car showed up.

All they wanted was a link to your build in the configurator and a copy of your drivers license.

It was so low-key I initially thought it was a scam of some sort. Found out later that is just they way they do business. Their business model seems to be to forgo short-term profiteering in order to build long-term customer relationships.

I still haven't gotten my car (found out yesterday it is on a train), but already did a trade-in with them. Their offer was reasonable (vs CarMax and Carvana), and the process was the smoothest and most hassle-free trade-in I have ever done.

I have to concur....Sewell/Houston is where I bought mine and they were top-notch.

Hey, I know this is a super old thread but if anyones watching I have a similar issue as we speak. "Tried" to order a 23 CT5 BW in Mid February 2024, dealer stated they had two allocations coming. Two months later they still have no allocations so I was able to find almost the exact same build on a dealer lot in Michigan, so I jumped on it and bought it (at window $). Called the dealership in CT and they said nope, no way, non refundable. I haven't signed a thing and all they did was run my card over the phone for $1000, there is no buyers contract and the order has NOT been accepted b\c they still don't have an allocation. I claimed a fraud charge with CitiBank and they've temporarily refunded the $1000 while they investigate, and also filed a formal complaint with Cadillac corporate. I could see if the car was being built, and the dealer had some sort of financial obligation on their books, but the order doesn't even EXIST. Super pi$$ed off but we'll see what the CC company does.

That is a really corrupt dealer. Even when my car arrived, I was told I could get my deposit refunded if I didn’t want the car. I would leave them a negative google review and specify the salesperson by name.

That was my next plan of attack. To clarify it was a 2024 model I tried for, bc I wanted the Black Diamond color. They said if they didn’t get an allocation it would auto-push to a 25’ model but with the mid cycle refresh I don’t see how it could carry over blindly. I assumed it would need to be cancelled and resubmitted as a 25. Regardless these guys are a royal PITA

Having all the proof, I'd be blasting the dealer and sales douche's name everywhere possible. At least get your monies worth.

That was my next plan of attack. To clarify it was a 2024 model I tried for, bc I wanted the Black Diamond color. They said if they didn’t get an allocation it would auto-push to a 25’ model but with the mid cycle refresh I don’t see how it could carry over blindly. I assumed it would need to be cancelled and resubmitted as a 25. Regardless these guys are a royal PITA
Yes, the order would have to be canceled and resubmitted in GM OrderWorkbench as a 2025. That might be something that particular dealer would do, but it is not an automatic thing done by GM. A proper dealer would notify you as such and advise on any option changes that might need to be made. The new order would also be subject to new allocations available.

As noted on page 1, in some states, there is no such thing as a non-refundable deposit. You need to check with your attorney general's office and ask them rather than relying on the Internet. Seriously. It's just a phone call.

Odds are that if you simply call or email the GM at the dealership, you'll get your money back. Salespeople can sometimes be dicks who don't know or care about the law. In the case of @Sidewayz I'd suggest that you just keep quiet until the credit card "investigation" is complete.

My apologies to the dicks who don't like to be associated with salespeople.

My friend also had put in his order for a 2022 5BW, about 3-4 months before I submitted my order in Oct.22'. ( I got mine.) Months later I asked him if he got his allocation # and he said he did not know what that was. Long story short, no allocation for his 22'. The dealer told him that he needed to come in and reorder for the same specs on a 2023.
Of course, same exact car cost him $7000 more money at MSRP.

Thanks @BimmerFan i did just that, and the AG stated that depending on how the contract is written they “might be” non refundable. I was like what’s a contract? I wasn’t provided a single written document nor have I signed anything, so I submitted a complaint to AG. even if I don’t get my grit back I’m gonna make it as painful as possible for these guys :)

Thanks @BimmerFan i did just that, and the AG stated that depending on how the contract is written they “might be” non refundable. I was like what’s a contract? I wasn’t provided a single written document nor have I signed anything, so I submitted a complaint to AG. even if I don’t get my grit back I’m gonna make it as painful as possible for these guys :)
I'm the type to make up a sign and picket the dealership on a busy weekend.

There was a guy in my former town that had a beat up funeral hearse. He would rent it out by the day and park it "legally" in front of businesses with a sign complaining about whatever they had done. The guy was a bit of a nut, but he made good money doing it. He would make money from the complainer and then he would hit up the business for money to leave once the original complainer said he was done paying and got his point across.

There was a guy in my former town that had a beat up funeral hearse. He would rent it out by the day and park it "legally" in front of businesses with a sign complaining about whatever they had done. The guy was a bit of a nut, but he made good money doing it. He would make money from the complainer and then he would hit up the business for money to leave once the original complainer said he was done paying and got his point across.

I've been wondering what I could do in my retirement to keep busy and make a little extra scratch. LOL

OK, so I know I tell this story a lot, but it's true, and it falls into that "you can't make this up" category.

Here in Raleigh, NC, there was a guy that was mad at one of those quick lube places because they caused his engine to blow up. He started picketing them with signs, etc. The local news picked up the story and did an investigative piece on it.

Turns out the guy was a former employee of the place. He changed the oil on his own car himself. He forgot to put in oil. Engine blows. He blames the store.

In the end, they paid him just to make him go away.

I've been wondering what I could do in my retirement to keep busy and make a little extra scratch. LOL

OK, so I know I tell this story a lot, but it's true, and it falls into that "you can't make this up" category.

Here in Raleigh, NC, there was a guy that was mad at one of those quick lube places because they caused his engine to blow up. He started picketing them with signs, etc. The local news picked up the story and did an investigative piece on it.

Turns out the guy was a former employee of the place. He changed the oil on his own car himself. He forgot to put in oil. Engine blows. He blames the store.

In the end, they paid him just to make him go away.
Sounds about right. I saw an article a few weeks ago where a guy went to a jiffy lube for an oil change. His engine was making all kinds of noise. Pulls into the dealer and they say you have no oil drain plug installed. $14k for a new engine please.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back