Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

PSA: I have car OCD.

BimmerFan

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT5-V BW 6spd
The CT5V-BW/6 is my 65th car. I think it's 65, it could be 67, who can remember? And we're not counting the motorcycles.

When I told the wife I was buying it, she said, "I give it 9 months". A friend says 10. A coworker doesn't expect it to last the year. They've started a pool.

I intend to prove them all wrong.

There are many cars that I've owned that I wish I still had, either because I didn't know how good they were when I had them, or because they were just special and nothing available today comes close to the character that they had. The 1990 Porsche 911 (964) is at the top of that list, but unfortunately at the time I was what we refer to as "between jobs" and owning a Porsche didn't seem to be financially wise. Long story.

Of course, I said that with my last car, the BMW G82 M4/6, that it was a keeper too, but the BW came along that that was just too much money sitting in the garage for me to keep both. I have no regrets though, and I think the BW is better than the M4 in nearly every way, even with the $25K premium.

I'm sure I'm not alone. I think it helps to hear that others suffer from the same ailment, especially if anyone has coping strategies that they can share.

BimmerMan, I suspect you are either very wealthy or very poor.

Not counting a parts car and inherited cars, I’ve owned 12 cars in 40+ years of driving. Of those 12 I’ve made three impulse buys, which I feel is pretty good moderation. None I regret buying or selling. The way to not regret selling is keeping it long enough to be ready for a change. I typically like to keep a vehicle for 10 years. Buying and selling cars, or anything for that matter, is not time well spent IMO.

Last edited:
I keep my cars forever because my parents also kept their cars forever. They've only ever traded in 1 car. I still have every car I've ever had.

So I got the opposite psychologic illness of you, I'm a car hoarder.

I ain't an expert on crazy like Zoomie is, but typically habits like this are hard to change.

Everyone reverts to wild type, leopard can't change their spots, can't teach an old dog new tricks, etc, etc.

Anyway past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior. So unfortunately I agree with your wife and coworkers. Thank you for briefly joining us in the Blackwing brotherhood (and sisterhood), let us know what you get next.

I planned to keep cars for 10+ years because that's what my parents did. My first new car (2000 Cadillac STS) was replaced when the 04 CTS-V came out because I wanted that. Then when the 2009 CTS-V came out I had to get that because it fixed everything that was wrong with the 04 V. Then I ended up keeping the 09 for 14 years since nothing substantially better came out in that time (the 2016 V wasn't that much different and an auto-only). Then 2 years ago I go the new car bug and really wanted the Blackwing since that also seemed like a good upgrade (and tech wise the 09 V was pretty far back...bluetooth only and it was a lame implementation they crammed in). So in my case until something "way better" comes along I'm happy. Based on how the auto industry is going it will be some time before a better car than the 5BW comes along. Unless you find electric motors exciting.

I've owned 27 cars and its certainly not a source of pride for me. I've gotten much better in my old age. I haven't bought a car since the pandemic raised prices. Next year when things return to normal I hope to get a GT4 and a classic brougham. Quite the odd couple i know.

When I told the wife I was buying it, she said, "I give it 9 months".

That's about what my wife said too. I am afflicted with the same car buying disease. I'm better now, sort of, especially since nothing really appeals to me....sadly. I have absolutely NO plans to trade/sell my 5BW. I'd really like to pick up a 4BW as a daily. Probably lightly preowned as prices fall.

I have no idea how many cars/trucks I have owned. Not sure I could count them. Back in the late 80's, into the early 90's, I was putting on 30-40K miles a year with work. I got a new car every two years. They were also much cheaper back then....relatively.

My priority was to retire early, so I never bought a new car and let someone else pay for the depreciation. I bought a “new to me” car every 5-10 years, only because I’ve been a car nut since I was a young child and it’s my hobby (and you don’t have to financially justify your hobbies).
The CT5-V Blackwing is the first new car I’ve ever purchased - mainly because new cars are often cheaper than used cars in this crazy market, plus I considered it a retirement-gift-to-myself. I retired at 46, due in part to buying-and-holding investments, and buying-and-holding cars.

Me:
Ice Cube Friday Movie GIF

@BimmerFan
Season 6 Nbc GIF by This Is Us

I've owned about 4 cars or something like that....

I have car OCD, but it has to do with how I care for my cars, not for how quickly I flip them. I think @BimmerFan has car ADHD!

I just made a list and counted 18 cars. It gets muddy after marriage and kids, so I counted the cars that are primarily for me only. Work is not my identity, but its flexible enough to indulge in other things, gives me structure and purpose, and I like what I do. I would have missed out on a lot of memories that never could have been created if I waited until 55 or 60 to start living.

I retired at 46, due in part to buying-and-holding investments, and buying-and-holding cars.
That is awesome! Congratulations!
I have car OCD, but it has to do with how I care for my cars, not for how quickly I flip them. I think @BimmerFan has car ADHD!

I just made a list and counted 18 cars. It gets muddy after marriage and kids, so I counted the cars that are primarily for me only. Work is not my identity, but its flexible enough to indulge in other things, gives me structure and purpose, and I like what I do. I would have missed out on a lot of memories that never could have been created if I waited until 55 or 60 to start living.

I think you maybe right, on the using the correct acronym.

I bought my first Corvette when I was 30-ish. I didn't want to be the white-haired, gold-chain wearing senior that is the typical stereotype Corvette owner. I wanted to enjoy it while I was able to actually get in and out of it.

5BW is my 7th car in 23 years of driving, and my first new car. I buy cars I really like, and never want to miss winding up in a car I like less. I plan to keep the 5BW and my Lotus Elise for a very long time as I can't think of a better pair within budget for what I like.

As far as cars I miss, I miss all of them but wouldn't say I regret selling them. If I had more room I would've kept a couple, but that gets to be a hassle with maintenance.

That is awesome! Congratulations!

I think you maybe right, on the using the correct acronym.

I bought my first Corvette when I was 30-ish. I didn't want to be the white-haired, gold-chain wearing senior that is the typical stereotype Corvette owner. I wanted to enjoy it while I was able to actually get in and out of it.
I had a Corvette when I was around 25, yellow 1969, 427, Tri Power, Muncie close ratio 4spd. That was one of my three impulse buys.

This is a good one for me, @BimmerFan; I'm glad you shared.

39 cars owned with #40 and #41 in-process / inbound. I'm 52 and have loved cars since I was 12. I was about to quit college and stay working at my local Chevrolet dealer (age 19), and the GM said to me...go back to school, get a good job, buy a house, save for your kids' college...and then go get any cars you want. Not that he was my mentor, but that is what I did. I held many cars for 8+ years...and only recently have been going 'nuts'. It was only 11 cars (including my wife's) through 2011...so, I also have friends who quietly run 'duration pools' when I show up with a new ride.

In defense of @BimmerFan, and others like me, I detect I am on the verge of changing my spots:
  • The compelling product mix is going away; I am not an EV-guy--and not saying I won't ever have one--but in the last 30-months, I've put myself on the quest to get to my 'lifetime keeper' garage.
  • 4 cars is the absolute maximum I want to own; truly 3 is better. I'm happier with less to manage.
  • I am already in car heaven. Meaning, even if things go extremely well for me (or I would win the lottery) I'm not wanting a Ferrari, Aston, Bentley. Spending a tick over $100K on a car is an extreme privilege--and I can find a lifetime mix at this price range.
  • I am a road bike guy, and have always loved slick-working mechanical shifting and rim brakes. In 2019, I bought my last road bike; simplified down to 3 of them, and my wife asked--you're not adding more bikes? No, I'm not. I got the mix I need, wheels and cassettes I can interchange--and the market is no longer innovating (or even offering) anything for rim brake / mechanical. I'm thrilled with the machines I have--and I enjoy using the heck of them. I'm damn happy and see the same outcome as I 'settle-in' with my cars.
  • Driving engagement IS my interest, and I detest 'needless complication'. How many on this forum share the dislike of the haptic / glass control panels and/or mega steering assist with auto traffic detect brake slammy alert? I don't. I had a 2019 Mercedes E450 wagon--and when I went to look at MB again in 2020 for an E-Class Cabrio...they had gone all haptic for steering wheel controls and created a disastrous menu structure fo the infotainment. That was an easy removal of MB lust.
In summary, I'm a happy dinosaur who is not on a path to financial ruin with my car experiences. Yes, cars are my thing. Yes, cars have gotten ALL of my discretionary spend. Yes, there will be some car changes in my future, and shortly, I'll be 100% transacting on used cars and enjoying the heck out of what I own.

I've gone through 13 cars in 3 years. All my friends make jokes I won't keep the next vehicle for very long. I've had 3 cars I've only owned for a month each within that time.

My C7 Z06 has been in my possession for almost 5 years, the next closest car was 21 months.

I told everyone I would keep my Blackwing and my Z06 and here I am car shopping once again going "oh I can sell both and buy a McLaren, or a Porsche etc...).

Its worse than drugs.

Don't buy cars kids.

Well if we're counting parts cars, I'm at like 105. Just Daily drivers, more like 45 or so.

I can’t even imagine where everyone gets the time to buy and sell that many cars. I guess I work too much and know for sure I have too many hobbies already.

So... the worst for me was back when I was in my thirties, working as an I/T consultant pulling in large dollars (making more than I make now, here at the top of my career, title-wise) and starting to get into BMWs.

I had, at the same time, an E36 M3, an E28 M5 (because I always wanted one) and my C4 Corvette (which was built into a mostly track car) a Triumph TR6 (because I always...) and an E24 633csi (because I always... and it was supposed to be a flip). And a rusty 1977 Buick Estate Wagon with the fake wood on the side. Because it was cheaper than a pickup truck, and yet you could fit a sheet of plywood in the back.

And a motorcycle (BMW, natch).

This is how, although my average is around 20 months of ownership, I could own 60+ cars in my lifetime of driving.

I did eventually flip that 633csi, and made money on it. I figured up the profit, and that counting the amount of time that I spent working on it, I made slightly less than minimum wage.

I tried once again a few years ago, flipping a Jaguar XK-R, and I think this time I made a bit more than minimum wage, but barely. It's probably because I have morals and ethics, and I can't sell a car that I know has issues, and so I have to fix everything and disclose everything else. Hard to make a big profit that way.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back