Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Pegging the Flappers

soulsea

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
alcoholics unanimous
Anyone know what is involved in disabling the exhaust valves so that they stay permanently open?

Is it a fuse in the fuse box like it was for the Z28?
Is it a vacuum line or harness to the exhaust that needs to be disconnected?
Or is it something else?

Thanks

So on page 362 of the manual it says there is a fuse box on the left side of the dash and that fuse 34 is the one for the exhaust valves.

I pulled the trim piece but did not see a fuse box there.

What am I missing?

With the ATS-Vs you could just pull the Active Exhaust Valves relay or fuse with no side effects.

On the new Blackwings, you'll set a plethora of DTCs, which will have secondary effects such as a Check Engine Light, loss of Cruise Control and other functionality, etc.

On the new Blackwings, you'll set a plethora of DTCs, which will have secondary effects such as a Check Engine Light, loss of Cruise Control and other functionality, etc.

Ugh, thanks.

Is this a suspicion or have you tried it out and that's what happened?

This may be an odd question but why would you need to do this in these cars? Unlike say a BMW, the car lets you start in your My Mode which has exhaust control. So the car will always start with full open valves instead of you having to push a button every time.

This may be an odd question but why would you need to do this in these cars? Unlike say a BMW, the car lets you start in your My Mode which has exhaust control. So the car will always start with full open valves instead of you having to push a button every time.
yes, but don't they close after 45mph?

While Cadillac may have changed the logic, on the Corvette and Camaro, even in track mode, the exhaust partially closed under certain conditions/speeds/throttle position. It only stayed fully open all the time if you pulled the fuse.

If he’s still around the forum, maybe @Mirza Grebovic can tell us if pulling the exhaust valve fuse has any affect on other systems or if it’s ok to pull it.

Significantly different exhaust and valves. Old ones were two mode, on and off. The new ones actuate from 0-100% and differently in every mode and leaving them fully open impacts engine cals and tuning depending in modes. Its a full feedback circuit to ECM now. With V mode and my mode you can just put it in loud and enjoy, no need for a fuse pull.

Significantly different exhaust and valves. Old ones were two mode, on and off. The new ones actuate from 0-100% and differently in every mode and leaving them fully open impacts engine cals and tuning depending in modes. Its a full feedback circuit to ECM now. With V mode and my mode you can just put it in loud and enjoy, no need for a fuse pull.

Thanks Mirza.

Out of curiosity, does that mean the car won't take any unvalved catback aftermarket exhaust without throwing a code?

Or are the valves before the cats?

The valves are in the back so post cats. The popping and burbling you hear is all tuned in accordance with valves too, so aftermarket exhaust could present some challenges.

Agreed that it does sound great and is perfect for a family sport sedan IMHO. Especially the ability to set the sound level from the drivers seat. However the Borla on my 94 Trans Am still sounds better IMHO. Though that is my preference for a sport coupe with a good ol' small block up front exiting into a performance exhaust out the rear. It matches the car. But it's not quite the sound I am personally looking for on my 5BW.

Thanks Mirza.

Out of curiosity, does that mean the car won't take any unvalved catback aftermarket exhaust without throwing a code?

Or are the valves before the cats?

Sounds like the actuators have to be there, and electrically connected.

Mechanically though?

Might be an option if you wanted to experiment, I'm sure the electrical bit unbolts for replacement somehow.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back