Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Paint bubbling - warranty claim?

poor-sha

Seasoned Member
So I'm cleaning my car and I see that the rain gutter in the roofline is bubbling and it has an area of exposed primer. I can't tell if this is new or something I've just not seen because of where it is.

Since I picked up my car nearly a year ago, do I go back to the dealer and try to get it repaired under warranty? The car has ceramic coat on it but the roof doesn't have PPF.

20220822_203326328_iOS.jpg

I'm not a paint expert but it looks like a problem during the manufacturing process and preexisting. Like the paint gun did a fart right in that section. The unpainted areas are in a general section but are not fully connected to each other.

I feel like most paint bubbles/peeling appears to start from a small area and then spreads from that area.

However how did your ceramic guy miss that?

I agree with the above comments. Almost as if focal issues with prep prevented the paint from adhering properly. Very odd.

Wow.

Gotta agree with the others. They should take of that for you. At least it is in a hard to see spot.

Looks to me like there was some debris in this groove just as it was painted. Look at the small nubs in the paint below the affected area. If the debris was not just a solid (like something that had a solvent or oil residue) that could explain both issues. Fortunately, it's in a low visibility area and fixable... I would probably be as annoyed as you are too, however. Hope they get it fixed to your liking.

Crazy how it was missed when applying CC. Definitely bring it back to your dealer

good luck with everything

So I'm cleaning my car and I see that the rain gutter in the roofline is bubbling and it has an area of exposed primer. I can't tell if this is new or something I've just not seen because of where it is.

Since I picked up my car nearly a year ago, do I go back to the dealer and try to get it repaired under warranty? The car has ceramic coat on it but the roof doesn't have PPF.

View attachment 12015
Sorry to hear about this… I guess be grateful your area of concern is not highly visible. I have few areas on my car that really aggravate me, especially when I wash the car. Paint prep and final inspection process for Blackwing models needs a serious overhaul for quality improvement.

It’s pretty disappointing paint quality even for GM.

So the good news is that GM covered the paint under warranty. My car was at the dealer 3 weeks while they fixed the spot but I finally got the call yesterday that it was ready to be picked up. I got there and the car was still at the body shop down the street because they were short on runners.

I was trying to get out of there before Friday afternoon traffic got any worse so they said "the car hasn't been washed but we can run you down there and just pick it up at the body shop." I'm grateful they made that offer instead of making me sit around for a couple of hours but when I got to the shop and saw my $120K Cadillac parked on the street in an industrial park, under a tree getting crapped on by birds, and I wasn't super thrilled. On top of that it still had polish all over it, grease pen on the windshield, and the interior is full of polish dust that is in everything.

20220916_181530927_iOS.jpg

20220916_181357349_iOS.jpg

20220916_181359481_iOS.jpg

That is a bit more than I expected but still I did ask to take it home dirty so I sucked it up and drove home where I promptly foamed up and washed the car. That is when I saw the overspray and tape residue all over. OK, I can clean the windows but what am I supposed to do with this? How do you even get paint from a roof repair on the side skirt?

20220916_204820392_iOS.jpg

That's nuts. My guess is that it happened either when the body person set the spray gun down on the floor or picked it up, they probably "blipped' the trigger and hit the skirt. My son is a parts manager at a large body shop and as with any industry right now, good, skilled labor is hard to come by especially in the auto industry right now. That doesn't mean that they should be hiring dolts. But these are the times we are living in right now.

Assuming it's not PPF'ed as that would be an easy fix (i.e. redo PPF). So assuming not, then if you bring it directly back to the body shop, then it's no longer Cadillac's problem. That would be bad if they end up making things worse. I would being it to your dealer and tell them that you expect them to direct the body shop to put their best guy on it. If still relatively fresh, it will probably buff out. if the person knows what they are doing.

Clay bay or synthetic clay bar should take it off. If it’s covered in PPF you can use 99% isopropyl alcohol or lacquer thinner. The clay should work on it as well.
4AB1A3B2-2F9A-4C93-9D23-311ABA161155.jpeg

Right from Xpel:

Thanks. I actually forgot I had PPF on the side skirts. I got some of it off with Ibiz, which is a way that I use to getting track boogers off the car. It's less noticeable but you can still feel it.

I'm just going to ask my detailer to replace it and recoat. I've already told the dealer I'm sending them the bill.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back