Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Opinions (Used car purchase)

CT5-V Model

dizz81

Seasoned Member
Looking at possibly purchasing a CT5 Blackwing with 17k miles on it. It checks all my boxes with exception of having a sunroof.

Preliminary inspection seems great and sales manager says it may be eligible for certified pre-owned but won't know for sure until tomorrow or Tues.

I guess my concern is with knowing how these cars are mostly driven, should I be worried about it already having 17k miles on it? I'm thinking if they certify it then I shouldn't be too worried.

Your concern about the miles might help if we knew the year 22,23 or 24? How many owners? You can also check the date code on the tires especially the rears. My car is a 23 tires date codes are 32nd week of 22, (3222). This will be an indication on how cars been driven

Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_4928.jpeg
    IMG_4928.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
Oh god, 17k miles and you are worried? This site is not Rennlist. But seriously if it’s certified then you will be covered by full warranty for four years or so. What’s the price?

Certified means nothing. It just means that they are baking in the price of the extended warranty into the deal. The upside is that any dealer in the country will honor the warranty, and you will get gen-you-wine GM parts on the repairs. It does not mean that the car is any better than any other used car. Sometimes it means that it hasn't been wrecked badly, and that it has passed "inspection" but all of that and a dollar won't buy you a cup of coffee.

At 17K it very likely has new tires on it, so that is probably not an indication of abuse. But at 17K, it probably was the owner's every day car, and so it's not like it spent its entire life at the dragstrip. Just pretend it's a normal car, look for the standard stuff, wear points, paint & body, if it runs good, etc. and you will probably be fine.

If possible (unlikely, but worth a shot) contact the original owner and ask them.

This site is not Rennlist.
OMG. Rennlist. Those fellas live in another world.

Some of them are quite nice, and helpful. Others are just tools. These are people who spend $8K extra on their car to get carbon ceramic brakes simply to reduce brake dust and make it easier to clean the wheels.

These are people who spend $8K extra on their car to get carbon ceramic brakes simply to reduce brake dust and make it easier to clean the wheels.
I think I did that. But in all fairness my original build did not have them. When a show car was unexpectedly allocated to my dealer I jumped on it.

These are people who spend $8K extra on their car to get carbon ceramic brakes simply to reduce brake dust and make it easier to clean the wheels.
I did this as well. But this is my future retirement stick shift car. I don't plan on selling it. It will never see a track, but it will have the cleanest wheels!

CPO is great. It gives you an extra year of B2B, but they'll charge you a grand or so to get it CPO'd. I forget what I was looking at, but it wasn't CPO. I asked if they were going to certify it. Sales guy said probably not, but we can for an extra $XXX. Never mind.

17K is not a lot if it's a '22, and it's possible the prior owner would have worked out any 'gremlins' by now.

The exception is if this is a 'fleet' car.

If so, the salesman will tell you it was the dealership manager's grandmother's car - but don't believe him!!!! :LOL:

I
OMG. Rennlist. Those fellas live in another world.

Some of them are quite nice, and helpful. Others are just tools. These are people who spend $8K extra on their car to get carbon ceramic brakes simply to reduce brake dust and make it easier to clean the wheels.
I used to be die hard iron brake guy and always thought it was a waste for the ceramics. Never clicked the ceramic option on any of my builds. Bought a CPO car that I did not spec with PCCBs a few years ago and once I had them I was instantly converted into a ceramics douchebag almost entirely for the dust. I only track 2 to 3 times a year now. If I tracked heavily would probably get irons or surface transforms. Got ceramics on my blackwing and they are great, and dust free. My blackwing will never see the track and I expect the ceramic rotors to essentially last the lifetime of the car.

Ceramics are great, it’s the guys on Rennlist wondering if buying a Porsche with 17k miles is a clunker and/or will soon fall apart, I was poking fun with. I did a search recently of GT3s and found one with 75k miles on it for sale, reasonably priced but I don’t have garage space right now. I think it was at a dealer in Minnesota. My first 350 bought new needed a new engine at 6K miles, my second one bought used with 45k miles ran great and needed nothing. So go figure. I did have a 997.1 that was starting to use oil, probably from scored cylinders….which that motor is pretty much guaranteed to do…got rid of before it croaked or needed a rebuild.

Your concern about the miles might help if we knew the year 22,23 or 24? How many owners? You can also check the date code on the tires especially the rears. My car is a 23 tires date codes are 32nd week of 22, (3222). This will be an indication on how cars been driven

Hope this helps
It's a 22, and Carfax doesn't show any owners. Just dealerships.
The Carfax also just shows tires were rotated and not replaced (at least as of yet)

Oh god, 17k miles and you are worried? This site is not Rennlist. But seriously if it’s certified then you will be covered by full warranty for four years or so. What’s the price?
Yes absolutely worried about 17k miles. The difference between 17k highway miles and 17k miles of being tracked or fleet vehicle where people just abuse the shit out of a car make a huge difference on the amount of abuse the drivetrain has taken.

Yes I understand there is a warranty, but I'd also like to enjoy the car for more time outside the dealer, not waiting for parts to become available to replace anything that breaks before I can enjoy the car lol.

Certified means nothing. It just means that they are baking in the price of the extended warranty into the deal. The upside is that any dealer in the country will honor the warranty, and you will get gen-you-wine GM parts on the repairs. It does not mean that the car is any better than any other used car. Sometimes it means that it hasn't been wrecked badly, and that it has passed "inspection" but all of that and a dollar won't buy you a cup of coffee.

At 17K it very likely has new tires on it, so that is probably not an indication of abuse. But at 17K, it probably was the owner's every day car, and so it's not like it spent its entire life at the dragstrip. Just pretend it's a normal car, look for the standard stuff, wear points, paint & body, if it runs good, etc. and you will probably be fine.

If possible (unlikely, but worth a shot) contact the original owner and ask them.

Yeah the carfax doesn't specify any owners like it normally does, only dealerships. So I'm guessing it was a fleet vehicle?

Here is the carfax: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHisto...kRs6C7xwsDKKHaQNsRtNDLtpkxT8o_I?cs:o='carfax'

Well been in talks with the dealer and they just sent me some detailed photos of the interior, which looks spotless with zero wear.
They also told me the car has passed inspection and will be CPO.

I guess I need to start working on flights. lol

I bought my 4 BW that was a GM exec car with 4K miles on it, and it’s been fine. One rear shock went out and was replaced under warranty.

You don't / can't rotate tires on a CT5V-BW. Different sizes. So, probably new tires, mis-reported.

Also, most press cars are going to come out of Michigan, perhaps LA. Not likely to be in Texas.

Also, press cars are going to have 5 or 6 sets of rear tires in 17K miles, since every review I've ever seen of the BW has them smoking the rears.

And, press cars are beat to heck and back. You'd likely see that in the interior wear, not to mention the 13 pounds of rubber that will be covering the fender liners. That is where I'd focus my attention when looking at the car.

The carfax report on any vehicle is only as good as the info provided to them or obtained by them. There is no requirement or law that carfax has to be reported to. I use it as only a tool for buying vehicles as it can not be consider accurate all the time as i have seen on my own vehicle carfax reports. If a dealership did repairs or service work the service department can be requested to provide any information they have on what they or any other General Motors dealership have repaired, replaced, inspected on that vehicle.
There was a CT5V-Blackwing press car in northern NY for sale several months ago i was looking at. On the bottom right of the original window sticker it listed General Motors LLC with an address and when i googled the address it came up with a location of a Cadillac dealer in the northeast. The selling dealer that i found this used car for sale at was not dealer that the address was listed on the original window sticker. I contacted the used selling dealership and was told this was a "press car" that they purchased from General Motors and were selling as a CPO.
Non directional tires can be rotated left/right, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires are not directional and as such can be swapped left to right to help alleviate any irregular wear pattern. Currently I personally own 3 vehicles with staggered sized tires that i swap left to right as needed.

The address (4000 EMBARCADERO DRARLINGTON, TX 76014 ) listed on original window sticker from the car that forum member dizz81 is looking to purchase belongs to GM financial so i do agree that it was probably a GM executive used car.

Last edited:
You don't / can't rotate tires on a CT5V-BW. Different sizes. So, probably new tires, mis-reported.

Also, most press cars are going to come out of Michigan, perhaps LA. Not likely to be in Texas.

Also, press cars are going to have 5 or 6 sets of rear tires in 17K miles, since every review I've ever seen of the BW has them smoking the rears.

And, press cars are beat to heck and back. You'd likely see that in the interior wear, not to mention the 13 pounds of rubber that will be covering the fender liners. That is where I'd focus my attention when looking at the car.
You can swap them from L -> R, just not front to back. PS4S are not directional and will work just fine "rotated" from side to side.

carfax report is only as good as the info provided/obtained. There is no requirement that carfax or similar has to be reported to, it is only a tool.

Was a press car in northern NY for sale several months ago GM llc with dealer in northeast address on title not the name of the dealer but if google address found this out. Selling dealer was not dealer that received the car a year prior. Non directional tires can be rotated left/right, PS4S tires are not directional.

The address on car above goes to GM financial so i do agree probably a GM exec car at that location.
Sentence words missing thoughts confused not sure what car is where person wrote post.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back