Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

What would you do? Less than a year ownership, 5th warranty related issue.

Soundman414

Seasoned Member
So, I got my 4BW in June of last year. Since then I've only put 7,800 miles on the car, but have had to go to the dealership many times.

1. Interior trim pieces were popping out in the headliner and on the dash, they got it to stick in, but it's still malformed.
2. Passenger seat-belt pretensioner kept giving me CELs. They replaced it and no longer an issue.
3. The front-right parking sensor bracket had been broke since the factory and vibration dislodged it. They replaced it and no longer an issue.
4. One of the exhaust valve solenoids intermittently failing. They just replaced it a few days ago...
5. Now a brand new CEL came up and it doesnt tell me what it is on the app or the dash. Also the tech, when I was at the dealership waiting came up to me and asked if I wanted an alignment... Confused, as that's a random thing to ask, told him "only if it needs it"... and he said it's pretty low miles and then just had me sign the paper. Now the steering wheel is slightly left of center when going straight. So at least two more issues to have them address.

I don't know what to think... they are minor things, but damn im tired of going to the dealer. I'm mostly concerned for the long term, as I dont want to pay out of pocket for repairs on a car that's full of gremlins once the warranty is up.

Are there a typical sort of things that dealers offer for those in my position; like offering an extended warranty for free, an inspection to check for more things that might be wrong, etc? I doubt this qualifies for lemon law... but at what point would it, unless its in the shop for 30+ days? Also I don't hear about many of you having these same issues, so I think perhaps my car was just poorly put together.

While I know I could raise hell and be a dick... I don't really want to do that, because the dealer has been nothing but understanding and never questions replacing anything. I just want to be armed with some suggestions to talk to the services manager with.

So, I got my 4BW in June of last year. Since then I've only put 7,800 miles on the car, but have had to go to the dealership many times.

1. Interior trim pieces were popping out in the headliner and on the dash, they got it to stick in, but it's still malformed.
2. Passenger seat-belt pretensioner kept giving me CELs. They replaced it and no longer an issue.
3. The front-right parking sensor bracket had been broke since the factory and vibration dislodged it. They replaced it and no longer an issue.
4. One of the exhaust valve solenoids intermittently failing. They just replaced it a few days ago...
5. Now a brand new CEL came up and it doesnt tell me what it is on the app or the dash. Also the tech, when I was at the dealership waiting came up to me and asked if I wanted an alignment... Confused, as that's a random thing to ask, told him "only if it needs it"... and he said it's pretty low miles and then just had me sign the paper. Now the steering wheel is slightly left of center when going straight. So at least two more issues to have them address.

I don't know what to think... they are minor things, but damn im tired of going to the dealer. I'm mostly concerned for the long term, as I dont want to pay out of pocket for repairs on a car that's full of gremlins once the warranty is up.

Are there a typical sort of things that dealers offer for those in my position; like offering an extended warranty for free, an inspection to check for more things that might be wrong, etc? I doubt this qualifies for lemon law... but at what point would it, unless its in the shop for 30+ days? Also I don't hear about many of you having these same issues, so I think perhaps my car was just poorly put together.

While I know I could raise hell and be a dick... I don't really want to do that, because the dealer has been nothing but understanding and never questions replacing anything. I just want to be armed with some suggestions to talk to the services manager with.
I have owned a few cars over the years. Sometimes you can just fix a few initial issues and then you are good but sometimes it just doesn't seem to stop and it saps all the enjoyment out of owning the vehicle. I usually find an excuse to dump it and get something else as long as I won't take too much of a financial hit. I had a 2016 Camaro SS when the new model came out. It had some basic trunk alignment issues but then things like slow crank on hot start showed up and then the dreaded A8 transmission shudder started happening and there was no fix for either at the time. Since these were mechanical issues, I sold it for a C7 Corvette with a manual.

Lemon it?
Lemon laws vary by state, but what he described above probably (unfortunately) wouldn't qualify. Most lemon laws require a certain number of continuous days out of service or a certain number of attempts to fix the *same* problem. A bunch of different problems that are all resolved quickly usually wouldn't be actionable under lemon laws.

Perhaps you're getting all the bullshit out of the way now and will have years of enjoyment....

Minor issues aside, Do you love the car?

I get that it's super annoying to have to go back and forth but none of the issues left you stranded.

Time and money... it will cost you to find another car you like more. I'd say if you keep having issues, esp those issues related to drivetrain or intermittent electrical bugs dump it. If it's that cheap and easy to get another 4BW and you can trade it with the least amount of hassle then sure go for it.

Minor issues aside, Do you love the car?

I get that it's super annoying to have to go back and forth but none of the issues left you stranded.

Time and money... it will cost you to find another car you like more. I'd say if you keep having issues, esp those issues related to drivetrain or intermittent electrical bugs dump it. If it's that cheap and easy to get another 4BW and you can trade it with the least amount of hassle then sure go for it.
I do love the car... Just, maybe not this one. hahah

Yeah, I think I'm going to ask the dealership and service manager that if this continues over the next year, if they can see about getting me into a different one and I not lose out on the equity in the car, as these usually keep their value well over the years.

Scheduled service for next week... so we'll see what the new CEL is all about.

good luck brother!

Update:

They checked and the brand new exhaust valve caused the same CEL. They ordered a brand new exhaust valve and when it comes in, they will install and see if that takes care of it. If it doesn't they will order a brand new "exhaust system". Not sure exactly what that mean... but my guess would be that if the actual valve inside the exhaust won't budge, or if it's an electrical gremlin further up the wiring harness.

As for the future, the service manager told me that they are clearly documenting all the issues and if it keeps happening, they will explore options like covering payments for me, extended warranties and such. So I was a bit relieved they took it seriously and were committed to keeping me as a cadillac owner.

So until the part comes in, I wait and hopefully don't get another CEL.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back