Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

No Lift Shifting?

Every time I try it , it’s a somewhat violent experience. Lol. Videos I’ve seen make it look way smoother. My car is at the dealership for something else anyway so I’m just gonna have them look at it and tell me what they think
Don't do it! Do you really want to give the dealership permission to test out NLS on your car?

Don't do it! Do you really want to give the dealership permission to test out NLS on your car?

Maybe I’m looking at this from the wrong perspective, but if something goes wrong, I’d rather it be from something they do than something I do. I don’t know. I don’t really care, it’s under warranty. And I’m in a loaner. So either way I’ll survive.

Back in the 1960’s we used to call this a power shift:)
Keep it floored and shift. Better be quick about it :)
The first time I experienced a power shift riding with my older brother is seared into my memory. Of course, he had to make sure I would not tell since it was dad's car, LOL. Tell? No way, just do it again!

I don't think it's working in that video, because the revs are jumping to redline during each shift (hard to tell on the 1-2, but definitely on the 2-3 and 3-4). It's also hard to tell because you are shifting very fast, impressively so.
I believe that is normal. Once you push the clutch in the engine will continue to spin up, even though there is fuel or spark cut. It's just the momentum of the engine components once they are decoupled from the drivetrain. Even if you lift on a shift near redline it's pretty common to see the car hitting over 6800 RPMs in the data.

This is from my 5BW at the track and wasn't using NLS (or doing this by mechanical overrev on an early downshift).

1678922164250.png

I believe that is normal. Once you push the clutch in the engine will continue to spin up, even though there is fuel or spark cut. It's just the momentum of the engine components once they are decoupled from the drivetrain. Even if you lift on a shift near redline it's pretty common to see the car hitting over 6800 RPMs in the data.

This is from my 5BW at the track and wasn't using NLS (or doing this by mechanical overrev on an early downshift).

View attachment 17642
I understand what you're saying, but look at my PDR video. The opposite happens- revs drop (slightly) during an NLS as opposed to Seth's video where they jump to redline.

Circling back on this since I was having trouble with NLS and this might be of benefit to someone in the future: I’ve been able to get it to work consistently by actually shifting slower. I was trying to shift as fast as possible because I was afraid of NLS not working, but I think that was screwing it up.

I dunno about slower but you definitely gotta shift deliberately and get that clutch all the way to the floor at least in my car. Deliberate can be fast with practice so there's that...

On my 4BW, I had issues getting the NLTS to work even at the stated over 3k rpm in certain gears. RPM would jump to redline. I noticed that if I used the NLTS in the little grey area closer to redline it worked. Try getting rpms in to that region and see if it helps. WOT throttle planted is a must.

I’ve been using NLS at the track many times. It’s really ideal between 3rd to 4th. Not using it for other shifts. You MUST be full throttle and shift right before redline.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back