Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Mutilated Blackwings (front plates)

Add me to the 'offset looks better' camp - not sure why, maybe it's a subliminal thing with Evos and Giulia Quads. I also like the fact that I can reverse that decision without consequence later on.

As for running plateless, my 5BW is a daily driver so I needed a plate to be able to drive it frequently and park anywhere with confidence. Then of course you get Labor Day Weekend, which is a highway patrol "maximum enforcement" period - and you can bet 'no front plate' tickets are flying thick and fast.

I attached mine with thick zip ties. Had to drill some extra holes into the bracket. It does block some of the grill area but not enough to be detrimental. In NY the law requires you to display a front plate that must be no lower than 12 inches and no higher than 48 inches from the ground.

Attachments

• 20220824_074510.jpg
    20220824_074510.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 164
I believe I had previously posted at least one link to a plate bracket that would attach to the grille area.

Edit: yes I did, Post #19

I attached mine with thick zip ties.
It never even occurred to me that there could be a minimum height. I need to check my state laws.

I've seen a couple of people offset the plate on the lower grill like you have done. Has anyone tried centering it on the lower grill? Seems like that would have a more OEM look.

I attached mine with thick zip ties. Had to drill some extra holes into the bracket. It does block some of the grill area but not enough to be detrimental. In NY the law requires you to display a front plate that must be no lower than 12 inches and no higher than 48 inches from the ground.
How did you do that?

On the plastic license plate holder there are the two recessed holes Left/Right for the screws to attach to the bumper. I drilled a 1/4 inch second hole above the factory holes. Then I pushed "black" 1/4 inch thick x 18" long zip ties thru the upper bracket hole, (with the locking part outside the top hole facing me). Line up where on the lower grill area where you want the bracket placed. Feed the zip tie thru the grille. I used a needle nose pliers to grab the pointed end of the zip tie and made sure it was looped over one/two grille slats. Now is why you need the 18" length. Then feed it thru the back of the lower hole of the bracket and pull the zip tie tight. The bulging lock part fit nicely inside the bracket indent. ** Use only a black zip tie to blend with the bracket and the grille or else you will see the zip tie if its white. Don't ask me how I know it looks like crap. I hope my little diagram helps with my narrative.

Attachments

• 20220906_224612 (1).jpg
    20220906_224612 (1).jpg
    680.2 KB · Views: 83
Missouri “requires“ front plates too, but I have been driving my 09 CTS-V for 13 years past plenty of mid-MO cops without one and no tickets to date. If I ever get an allocation for my 2022, er 2023, CT5-V Blackwing, I plan on doing the same. Save the track driving for the track, and the cops leave you alone...at least around here.

Missouri “requires“ front plates too, but I have been driving my 09 CTS-V for 13 years past plenty of mid-MO cops without one and no tickets to date. If I ever get an allocation for my 2022, er 2023, CT5-V Blackwing, I plan on doing the same. Save the track driving for the track, and the cops leave you alone...at least around here.
I live in STL and have yet to have a front plate on the BW for over a year and other cars I have owned much longer than that and never had an issue honestly.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back