Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Left my rear window open for 2 days

Grainofsand

Seasoned Member
It was halfway open for 2 days. In Socal weather. Will there be any damages to the interior due to moisture?

Did it rain? If not I think you should be good. Maybe leave a dessicant bucket in the car for a day just to be sure.

One time "we" left the back window of my wife's Jetta Wagon open overnight in a rain storm. After discovering it the next morning, I used a shop vac and towels to soak up all the water, removed the back seat, and let the car dry in the sun with the heat on full blast until I couldn't find any more dampness. Despite that, in a week it smelled like mildew. I bought a chlorine bomb car deodorizer from Griot's, and that fixed the issue for good. The car still smelled fine a year later when we sold it.

No rain but the weather's been kind of humid lately. I did sit in it for a bit, and it felt a little bit damp in there (might be my imagination). I might crack the windows when it's daytime to let some of the moisture out.

I keep a bucket of DampRid in each of my garaged cars when I'm not driving them. You'd be surprised how much moisture you can pull out of the air in a month.

+1 to taking it outside, windows down during the day and let nature continue to run its course. Years ago I drove a Trailblazer SS that I mistakenly left the sunroof open overnight while on a golf trip with buddies. Early morning was rudely waken by massive lighting and thunder strikes. My buddy and I that shared the room were talking about how nasty the weather sounds out there unable to move from our beds due to a hangover. Not much longer got a frantic knock at the door from another buddy yelling at me about said roof. Cup holder was overflowing. Leather was soaked. Ended up driving home 7 hours later that day with my rain gear on and windows down. Fortunately the weather cleared for the drive. At some point in the drive the radio decided to cut out. Got it home and kept a dehumidifier in it for a couple days. That truck lived a couple more years before trading it in for a CTS.

Windows down in a mild climate? I wouldn't give it split second thought. All cars are subjected to the outside environment 100% of the time, otherwise you suffocate and die while driving. Consider a convertible as well.

I keep a bucket of DampRid in each of my garaged cars when I'm not driving them. You'd be surprised how much moisture you can pull out of the air in a month.

I just put a small tub of damprid on the floor of the backseat yesterday and I think it helped. It feels drier in there. I'm wondering though, would it start pulling moisture that is outside of the car into the car?

SoCal and you’re worried about weather? Heck, I’ve lived here for 70 years, have owned multiple convertible cars and left the tops off for months at a time. You left the window open for two days!!!! Come on man…. you’re being ridiculous!

SoCal and you’re worried about weather? Heck, I’ve lived here for 70 years, have owned multiple convertible cars and left the tops off for months at a time. You left the window open for two days!!!! Come on man…. you’re being ridiculous!

Isn't Nevada like, a desert though?

Isn't Nevada like, a desert though?
You are correct, sir, Nevada is mostly desert! We were, however, speaking about Southern California, where I lived most of my life in the greater Los Angeles area. Leaving your rear window open for two days, again, unless it was pouring rain, it’s virtually of zero concern. As I said, I would leave my convertible tops down for months at a time, parking outside. Don’t worry you’ll be fine.

I wouldn’t do that if cats are nearby. Someone I knew had his vintage Jaguar carpet ruined by cat piss. Apparently it’s very difficult to remove the smell once it dries in and one may be faced with ripping the carpet out and professional cleaning or replacing.

When I was in Alabama for Army flight School, I had my convertible Caddy at class one day. I left the top down as it was a beautiful sunny morning. We get a 10 minute break every hour. I go outside and its pouring a flood of rain. I try to put up the top and windows and the electric is not working. What a freakin' mess. 2 inches of water in the foot wells. I had to drive home with the roof down and put my Covercraft cover over the car with a tripod holding it up like a teepee. Good thing, Alabama has a saying......"if you don't like the weather, just wait 20 minutes, it will change". The sun then came out at lunch time and all the water evaporated by dinner time. It did eventually leave some rust residue that is still here 35 years later. Another reason I hate sunroofs....I would forget to close it and end up with a soaked interior.
I would be more concerned in California about leaving my window open and finding homeless drug addicts living in my car !

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back