Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

K&N Dry Air Filters

DonD

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-V Blackwing
Does anyone have experience with these? Historically a lot of claims are made for simple "upgrades". Don

I have no experience with these. But Don, as a fellow old dude, let me share an anecdote with you. True story.

I used to do a lot of HPDE, which resulted in me hanging out at the race track quite often. One day I was there and started chatting with a fellow in the pits. He worked for Ford's SVT group, and I asked him what he thought about K&N filters and the like. He said:

"Manufactures spend millions of dollars to get every little bit of horsepower out of an engine. If they could increase power by adding in a $20 filter, don't you think they'd do that?"

I have no experience with these. But Don, as a fellow old dude, let me share an anecdote with you. True story.

I used to do a lot of HPDE, which resulted in me hanging out at the race track quite often. One day I was there and started chatting with a fellow in the pits. He worked for Ford's SVT group, and I asked him what he thought about K&N filters and the like. He said:

"Manufactures spend millions of dollars to get every little bit of horsepower out of an engine. If they could increase power by adding in a $20 filter, don't you think they'd do that?"
The secondary consideration is actual filtering performance to protect the engine. An auto manufacturer has to consider engine warranty for a period of time. A filter manufacturer does not. The filter folks can sacrifice filtration for flow (which some have a deserved/undeserved reputation for).

It could also be the influence of the accountants. If a $5 paper filter is only 3 hp less than a $15 cloth/oiled filter, over thousands of cars it helps their bottom line.

To add to what @shbox says, costs and service/use considerations (a lot can go wrong with an oiled filter) also factor into decisions. I also dispute the premise that OEM's are searching for max power, rather they balance myriad objectives and often leave a lot on the table in the name of mass production and minimizing costs.

I also dispute the premise that OEM's are searching for max power, rather they balance myriad objectives and often leave a lot on the table in the name of mass production and minimizing costs.
I would agree when it comes to making Malibu engines. Perhaps not for Blackwings?

I would agree when it comes to making Malibu engines. Perhaps not for Blackwings?
What @Tapout is doing on both the 4 and 5 is evidence that there is plenty optimization available to make substantial increases in power. The BW floor is obviously considerably higher than the Malibu, but the same constraints and principals apply. I don't know specifically if just the green filters do anything on the 4, but the CF intake lid with the filters adds 70 whp, which is incredible.

By the way, I rented a Malibu at SM and its as if Hertz was GM's target market. A course 4 cylinder connected to a CVT wrapped in non-descript lozenge shape is not a very compelling option for a new car buyer.

What @Tapout is doing ... I don't know specifically if just the green filters do anything on the 4, but the CF intake lid with the filters adds 70 whp, which is incredible.
I don't know who @Tapout is, or what they offer, but I'm going to have to call b.s. on that 70 WHP for just an intake housing.

According to the chart in the first post, it's a 47 HP gain without the JB4. And I didn't read the entire thread but with increased boost pressure comes a big risk... that engine was designed and built for a particular boost.

I'll try to read it later when I have more time.

According to the chart in the first post, it's a 47 HP gain without the JB4. And I didn't read the entire thread but with increased boost pressure comes a big risk... that engine was designed and built for a particular boost.

I'll try to read it later when I have more time.
And I stand by my earlier comment about the filters. This is an intake. Different story.

The secondary consideration is actual filtering performance to protect the engine. An auto manufacturer has to consider engine warranty for a period of time. A filter manufacturer does not. The filter folks can sacrifice filtration for flow (which some have a deserved/undeserved reputation for).
Thanks. My son is nagging me to "upgrade" the 4BW. I told him exactly what you said. If GM could get a 20HP bump on the EPA dyno for what K&N charges, it would be on production cars ASAP. Don

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back