Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Interior door panel removal and trim replacement - CT5

GTANotch88

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
'22 CT5-V BW
This weekend I finally got around to replacing the carbon fiber door trim applique on the drivers door of my '22 5BW.

Back in April, I first noticed a flaw in the carbon fiber piece on my door interior. I wasn't sure if it was in the CF itself, the layup, or the resin. Whatever the issue was, the defect was a hazy spot the size of a thumbprint. In most lighting, it wasn't noticeable, but at other times, you couldn't miss it. After the headaches I had with the dealer replacing a scuffed taillight, and then having to have the bumper adjusted properly a second time, I was hesitant to go to the dealer about it. Well after thanksgiving I said screw it and told the service advisor about it. He took a picture to get an approval and called me back 2 days later saying that they had ordered the part. That discussion then led to the fact that I didn't want them touching my car and I wanted to install it myself. The service advisor completely understood and said that wouldn't be a problem. So 2 weeks later, I get a voicemail that the part came in but upon calling back the parts dept. employee tells me that the part actually came damaged and another was ordered. I got the call that the second one finally came in so I go to pick it up and the parts dept manager was a little hesitant to just give me the part and wait for me bring back the bad one when I swap it out. A call to the service dept. took care of that quickly and I was on my way with the new part.
20221124_124121.jpg

In case anyone else needs to remove their door panel and/or applique trim, I figured I'd do a quick and very basic write-up here. Its actually pretty straight forward.
NOTE: Drivers door panel is attached slightly different than the passenger side panel.

Tools needed...
7mm (9/32) socket
small flathead screwdriver or pick/hook
T-20 torx bit
1/4" drive ratchet
1/4" drive extension

There are (3) 7mm bolts that hold the door panel on and several clips/pins.
-One 7mm screw is behind the interior door handle. There is a plastic cup cover that is removed with a small screwdriver or pick. There's a notch on the left side and you just pry/pop it off.
-The other 2 screws are in the door pull recess below the window switch panel. There is a rubber pad that gets pulled up and you'll see the 2 screws.
20221230_205358.jpg

20221230_205401.jpg

Once those screws are out, it's only clips and pins holding the door panel on. Now grab the lower right edge of the door panel plastic. You can feel with your finger tips where it overhangs the door shell slightly. Now pull until the panel pops away from the door, yes it takes a bit of force and is a little nerve racking but once it pops the lower corner, just move along the panel, popping it away from the door.

Once its popped loose around the bottom and sides, the panel just lifts up and away from the window weatherstripping. At this point I realized that the panel didn't want to move freely with the window in the up position so I put the window down all the way and then the panel came up easily.

There are then (2) electrical connectors between the door and door panel. A gray one and a black one. Both have red locking clips on the connectors. The red clips just get slid back and then the connectors can be separated like normal.
20221230_210723.jpg

The last item to disconnect is the cable between the interior door handle and the door latch. The best I can explain how to remove it from memory, is you push down the clip, slide it back slightly then the whole clip and cable simply slides sideways away from the panel. Once the plastic clip is free, the end of the cable can be removed from the door handle lever.
20221230_210729.jpg

That's all there is to remove the door panel. But for me, I had to go further and remove the Carbon Fiber trim too.
So I placed the door panel upside down on an old blanket and started looking to see how it was attached from behind.

I noticed (13) T-20 Torx screws that were located behind the cf trim and the door handle bezel. I removed them one by one, placing them in the same pattern as they were located on the panel. After I removed each one, I checked to see how much the trim was loosening up. Once they were all out, I flipped to door panel over and slowly worked the cf trim and door bezel until it had enough play so I was able to slide the cf piece out. The door handle and bezel did not come off the panel fully and didn't need to.
20221230_211125.jpg

20221230_212257.jpg

The process to put it all back together was just the reverse, nothing crazy. Only tip I have is to keep the window down when you drop the panel back onto the door. I tried it with the window up at first and it was pretty tight. With it down, it dropped right on.

Thanks for the detailed write up.

I had two defective CF trim pieces on my car. The one above the glove box (deep scratch) and the center console piece (crack at the edge). I brought it to the dealer immediately and there was no debate that it was a warranty repair.

Those two are actually pretty easy to remove so I let them install them thinking how could they screw this up. The dealer installed both, but upon picking the car up I noticed the new center console CF part was also damaged (either defective or damaged during installation). There seems to be a quality issue with these parts. I’m still waiting on the second center console piece.

I would recommend new owners do a very careful inspection of all the CF trim parts with a bright flashlight within a few days of taking delivery.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back