Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Inside tire wear

Carguyshu

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5-V Blackwing
I'm currently at 2,500 miles and the insides of my rear tires are nearly shot while the rest of the tire has a TON of life left. At 1,000 miles I had the car put into the track alignment (-1.5 deg rear camber and -2.5 deg front camber) and after a few track days I have more wear on the OUTSIDE of the front tires (esp the right since the track runs counter clockwise) than what I do on the inside by a large margin. It baffles my why the rear insides are so worn and really sucks when replacing those 2 runs about a grand. Anyone else have this problem that has tracked their car? The factory alignment the car had prior to adjusting showed the rear at -1 deg rear camber, so it's not like I've changed that much. I totally get why the outside front tires would wear more on track, but am scratching my head about why the insides of the rears are nearly toast.

I'm currently at 2,500 miles and the insides of my rear tires are nearly shot while the rest of the tire has a TON of life left. At 1,000 miles I had the car put into the track alignment (-1.5 deg rear camber and -2.5 deg front camber) and after a few track days I have more wear on the OUTSIDE of the front tires (esp the right since the track runs counter clockwise) than what I do on the inside by a large margin. It baffles my why the rear insides are so worn and really sucks when replacing those 2 runs about a grand. Anyone else have this problem that has tracked their car? The factory alignment the car had prior to adjusting showed the rear at -1 deg rear camber, so it's not like I've changed that much. I totally get why the outside front tires would wear more on track, but am scratching my head about why the insides of the rears are nearly toast.
Normally too much negative camber or excessive toe-out will wear the insides quicker. Did they add more toe-out to the rears when you had the alignment?

Just over 5000 miles on my car and 5 track days with the track alignment. My rears are wearing even but my fronts are almost corded on the far inside and I need to replace them.

Since both I and the dealer have been rotating them side to side I can't tell if it's just one side that was wearing funny or both. I've not had this in the past with other cars that I've run with the track alignment on the street.

Usually when you have a severe wear issue like that it's from the toe being way off. I've triple checked the alignment on mine but I'm going to check it again to make sure nothing has slipped.

8B6368DB-3F4C-43F7-83EC-E78A1DDF7D65.jpeg

The before is how the car came new at 1k miles. The after is the track alignment. Guess I maybe need to take it back to see if it got way out of alignment or something on the rear bc the toe and camber look ok here.

Yeah your specs look fine. It also assumes the machine was properly calibrated, lift was level, tech knew what they were doing.

A buddy of mine just left my house. He had his 4BW at the dealer three times trying to get a track alignment. They finally got it close but the wheel was off center going straight and it had too much front toe in. We put it on my lift and tweaked the front toe to get the wheel straight again and dial out a bit of the toe in.

I’ve decided that unless it’s warranty work my car isn’t going to see another dealer.

So one thing I didn’t mention before is that the tech that aligned it had the steering wheel way off center with the alignment I posted previously. According to the PDR the steering wheel was at a 7 degree right turn input when I was actually driving straight. Brought it back to them to get that fixed and to recheck the rear as well.

Below are the new before (which is how I brought it back to them) and new after. It looks like between 1k (when they first aligned it) and 2.5k miles the rear toe went from .02 left .04 right (.06 total) to -.09 left & -.04 right (-.13 total). They also admitted they didn’t put in new torque to yield bolts when they did it the first time, which is maybe why the rear toe changed. Is that really enough of a difference to cause the type of inner tire wear I’m seeing? I’ve posted a pic of the rear tires & you can see how the inside tread groves are already nearly gone compared to the outside.

Attachments

• 4FB2ECBF-F047-4CD2-BC59-38E1C9156A87.jpeg
    4FB2ECBF-F047-4CD2-BC59-38E1C9156A87.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 73
  • 8B1A3A10-3912-458F-BD4D-5990174D74A5.jpeg
    8B1A3A10-3912-458F-BD4D-5990174D74A5.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 70

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed