Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Informal poll on CC vs. steel brakes

As long as you guys understand and don't care that you'll never get that money back for them at resale, then by all means get the CC brakes if such is your preference ... I'm always supportive of people spending their hard earned moneys however they want. Hell, I buy expensive bourbon and pee it out the next morning with nothing to show for it other that hazy memories and regret.

But unlike in a 911 GT car, It's just not a must have 'thing' in a performance sedan at resale. I sold my 19 M5C for exactly the same price I would have gotten if it had ceramics, and it's the same for the E63S I had before, and it's the same for the RS6 Avant.

You have to look at it like building a $500k house and spending an extra $50k to upgrade the front door from fantastic to awesome ... you better like that door a LOT.
The resale point is something I have thought about as well. All else being equal, any potential future buyer will potentially be looking at replacing them at some point (or at least they will probably make that assumption). So they will no doubt factor that potential replacement cost into their offer and hence a CC equipped car may suffer more in resale value vs. a steel car

I'm planning on going with steel, however if by some miracle the carbon fiber constraints are lifted when my allocation comes up, I just might spring for everything, including Carbon Ceramics.

Mostly because this car is the last of its kind, a big V8 sedan with a manual and part of me just wants to get it in the highest performance spec possible which includes brakes and carbon packages. If the carbon packages are still on constraint I will opt for steels, simply because I don't think spending 10% of the cost of the car is worth it on a vehicle like this and I just feel the ceramics should only be considered if your going all out with the carbon packages, to me it just makes sense in that regard (to have the ultimate spec, show car etc).

Ceramics these days end up being a choice for many people for a purely street driven car. They can provide better front end feedback due to the weight savings which is great on a spirited drive, they look better and they stay clean. They will also, for most people, last the life of the vehicle, assuming you won't put 100k on the odometer.

Ceramics are often cited for track work, but are not realistic due to their replacement costs. They don't stop any better then steels but they do not fade so you can run lap after lap without worrying about cooking them compared to steels. This is great for a track rat who just wants to go, but due to their cost are not ideal. I'd think if cost was no object you wouldn't be tracking a 4100 pound sedan, you'd go take out an actual track car so therefore if you are going to track your Blackwing, do not option ceramics. If your car will be street driven and only wrack up maybe 5k a miles a year and you like the idea of having a nice and clean car, maybe consider the ceramics if the 9-10k doesn't scare you.

I agree, I think the CCs would discourage me from taking it to the track due to replacement costs. Also, knowing myself, I'll probably be worrying about them even on a spirited drive on a twisty road. Seems like there's very little difference in feel between the CC and steel - especially since most of us probably won't be driving them back to back, unlike the folks who are involved with developing and testing these cars.

I agree, I think the CCs would discourage me from taking it to the track due to replacement costs. Also, knowing myself, I'll probably be worrying about them even on a spirited drive on a twisty road. Seems like there's very little difference in feel between the CC and steel - especially since most of us probably won't be driving them back to back, unlike the folks who are involved with developing and testing these cars.

You can also swap to a milder pad for street use, saving the OEM brembo’s for track use. Lots of people do that, myself included. Pop on a set of PowerStop ceramic pads for daily use. When you hit the track swap them out for your factory high performance Brembo pads. Save’s your rotors and also cuts way back on daily brake dust. You wont be able to do that with the CC setup.

Do we know if anyone is making aftermarket pads for the steel brakes yet?

I'd love to go ahead and replace mine with something that dusts less.
I haven't looked into it quite yet, but I'm willing to bet the pad shape is one of the Brembo standards. There should be MANY options for pad material. I'll be looking for some track specific pads for mine, and keep the stocks for the street.

You can also swap to a milder pad for street use, saving the OEM brembo’s for track use. Lots of people do that, myself included. Pop on a set of PowerStop ceramic pads for daily use. When you hit the track swap them out for your factory high performance Brembo pads. Save’s your rotors and also cuts way back on daily brake dust. You wont be able to do that with the CC setup.
Sounds like that setup is working for you? Are they PowerStops a lot cleaner?

Do we know if anyone is making aftermarket pads for the steel brakes yet?

I'd love to go ahead and replace mine with something that dusts less.
This majorly. I've barely broke 100 miles on mine so far and the wheels are caked. My Brembo's on my Evo were swapped for Hawk HPS IIRC and those left very little dust. If there was an option, that would likely be my first "upgrade."

As long as you guys understand and don't care that you'll never get that money back for them at resale, then by all means get the CC brakes if such is your preference ... I'm always supportive of people spending their hard earned moneys however they want. Hell, I buy expensive bourbon and pee it out the next morning with nothing to show for it other that hazy memories and regret.

But unlike in a 911 GT car, It's just not a must have 'thing' in a performance sedan at resale. I sold my 19 M5C for exactly the same price I would have gotten if it had ceramics, and it's the same for the E63S I had before, and it's the same for the RS6 Avant.

You have to look at it like building a $500k house and spending an extra $50k to upgrade the front door from fantastic to awesome ... you better like that door a LOT.
I want the RS6

I want the RS6
I lusted after the RS6 Avant for a while. Friend got one and I’ve had the chance to drive and ride.

For what I’m looking for, it just no longer checked the boxes.

It’s a terrible AutoX car. Midlin’ track car. But 5,000lbs will do that to you.

This. More doors, more whores right? #wagonlove

My long gone ceramicless 2018 old man wagon.

DSC04270_zpskbzmyzao.jpg

DSC04267_zpsfcmu8vco.jpg

Not as pretty but much more fun to drive than the RS6A. It's also faster and doesn't sound like a fartbox.

I'm also pretty low key with my dailies ... just like the 5BW and my Durango Hellcat, the E63S is indistinguishable to all but those in the know as to what lurks within, the exact opposite of the RS6A.

Flying under the radar is a very appealing quality to me. It is the precise reason that despite the fact that I have better hair than Keanu Reeves I shave my head in such a way as to pretend I'm balding. True story. 🥺

My long gone ceramicless 2018 old man wagon.

DSC04270_zpskbzmyzao.jpg

DSC04267_zpsfcmu8vco.jpg

Not as pretty but much more fun to drive than the RS6A. It's also faster and doesn't sound like a fartbox.

I'm also pretty low key with my dailies ... just like the 5BW and my Durango Hellcat, the E63S is indistinguishable to all but those in the know as to what lurks within, the exact opposite of the RS6A.

Flying under the radar is a very appealing quality to me. It is the precise reason that despite the fact that I have better hair than Keanu Reeves I shave my head in such a way as to pretend I'm balding. True story. 🥺
I like it!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners