Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Informal poll on CC vs. steel brakes

You can also swap to a milder pad for street use, saving the OEM brembo’s for track use. Lots of people do that, myself included. Pop on a set of PowerStop ceramic pads for daily use. When you hit the track swap them out for your factory high performance Brembo pads. Save’s your rotors and also cuts way back on daily brake dust. You wont be able to do that with the CC setup.
Thx - did not know this was a possibility. So I guess the ceramic (PowerStop) pads won't ruin the steel rotors? And I've never done any brake work - how hard is it to do? You're talking to a guy who's just changed oil and air filters before LOL

I've been looking for a 3rd car as I own a C7 Z06 and soon a 5-V Blackwing. I'd love a wagon like an RS6 or an E63S for the practicality and for Canadian winter but unfortunately they are out of my budget. I'd love if someone made a V8 AWD wagon with something like 400hp instead of 600 for 20k-30k less.

Last edited:
I've been looking for a 3rd car as I own a C7 Z06 and soon a 5-V Blackwing. I'd love a wagon like an RS6 or an E63S for the practicality and for Canadian winter but unfortunately they are out of my budget. I'd live if someone made a V8 AWD wagon with something like 400hp instead of 600 for 20k-30k less.

Durango SRT 392?

M3 Touring (wagon) is on the way as well.

You know, I used shake my head when I saw new members start a new thread for a topic that had already been covered twice over previously. Now I am starting to understand why. Threads never seem to stay on topic with this group. Witness -- brakes comparo thread has completed diverged to wagon lovefest.

It's like we all keep skipping doses of our Ritalin 🤪

(I almost bought an RS6 until the dealer told me about the $20k ADM. And that was back in Jan 2021 before ADMs were all the rage)

Thx - did not know this was a possibility. So I guess the ceramic (PowerStop) pads won't ruin the steel rotors? And I've never done any brake work - how hard is it to do? You're talking to a guy who's just changed oil and air filters before LOL
With top-load calipers, it takes more time to take off the wheel than to change the pad.

Ceramic brake pads are NOT to be confused with Carbon Ceramic brakes.

Ceramic pads don't dust, but they also don't stop so well. They heat up and fade quickly. Fine for normal daily driving.

IMHO, I have never understood the mindset of people who buy high horsepower, track capable cars and then complain about brake dust or other NVH that goes along with go-fast goodness.

I’m speaking from my experience on other high performance vehicles. My 5 blackwing has TPW of 4/11. My first mod will be a low dust high performance brake pad for street use. I expect that PowerStop has an application for the 5BW Brembo because GM probably uses the same caliper on other high performance models. As for the pads/rotors, as long as you bed them correctly, you’ll be fine. Changing pads is really straight forward. If you can change your oil, you can swap pads.
Then when you’re ready to track it, pop on your OEM pads (or aftermarket race pads), re-bed, and go. Just remember, any track use is pushing your rotors to the limits. Be prepared to replace them when/if they warp.

Last edited:
Still waiting for an allocation. I had not heard anything about a 2023 model but from what I can see on this forum, there will be one, and I am #1 on the list for a 2023. I will definitely be getting carbon ceramics. It is unlikely I will track this car, and it has been a while since I had iron brakes on my toy (which is what the 5BW will be). Can't stand the brake dust which is really the primary reason I will be ordering the carbon ceramics. Out of my last 8 toys, only one had iron brakes and that car only lasted 7 months before I sold it. After about 2 drives, the black wheels looked brown from the brake dust. Drove me crazy.

I went with the CCBs on my 5BW in part because I figured it was the last of a breed and I wanted to go all in. I'm well aware of the conventional experience with CCB brakes but I also know there have been advancements in compound and the 5BW front pads are massive. I've just posted another video showing how mine are wearing so far after four track days but considering that front CCB pads are relatively cheap so far I'm pretty happy.

I also did this video a while back but you can see just how large the CCBs pads are

Order is 1100 with CF1 & 2, seat upgrade I may never see it. But I will get MY WAY or not at all - no compromise....
i spec'd CC
- no track use, spirited driving through canyon tend to overheat my brakes on most cars( shitty driver, heavy car or I am expecting too much)
- I want CC, just because it should be help with hot spotting the rotors and I am buying this 5BW as a toy as reward for myself. optioning the car out with everything i possibly can. It will be a garage queen( low miles) vehicle for me and this car purchase is not a logical dilemma that it usually would be; need- not needed.... I just put crap that I want, perhaps without justification, simply because I want to.

Order is 1100 with CF1 & 2, seat upgrade I may never see it. But I will get MY WAY or not at all - no compromise....
i spec'd CC
- no track use, spirited driving through canyon tend to overheat my brakes on most cars( shitty driver, heavy car or I am expecting too much)
- I want CC, just because it should be help with hot spotting the rotors and I am buying this 5BW as a toy as reward for myself. optioning the car out with everything i possibly can. It will be a garage queen( low miles) vehicle for me and this car purchase is not a logical dilemma that it usually would be; need- not needed.... I just put crap that I want, perhaps without justification, simply because I want to.
Because I can mother fucker, is a completely acceptable answer.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back