Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

I have officially bailed on my new Blackwing.....

I can't make use of the 5BW HP most of the time, but when I do it's a real treat. Coming from my last two cars being a V6 supercharged S4 and an AMG I6 turbo the V8 was a must have. I predict in some time you will be back in the V8.

I do love V8s and have owned a lot of them over the years. The LT4 in the Camaro ZL1 was on my bucket list so I am glad I got to experience it. I never thought I would say that a car had too much power but it really did for the roads I am stuck driving on. I could rarely stay on the throttle for more than a few seconds without risking jail time. The real fun of that LT4 is letting it rip through the gears with the supercharger whine and I found I could experience very little of it. As I get older I am starting to enjoy driving a slower car fast vs. driving a fast car slow.

So here is my story.

Ordered my 2022 CT5 Balckwing June 16th, 2021 from a friend of mine that has been at the same dealer for 30 years. Was told production would happen in October 2021 with delivery in November 2021. Much like everybody else here, my build continued to get pushed out, and out, and out again. I made many calls and had a few chats with Cadillac to no avail. My S/A also talked with his Sales Manager, General Manager and his Cadillac sales rep trying to get info/answer as to what was happening, again no response or answer from Cadillac. This is the truly frustrating part about this whole adventure. My dealer has never stopped trying for me.

Fast forward to July 6th, 2022. Great news, my car is finally built and I have a VIN number! Thirteen months after I placed my order. My friend says should arrive in 30-45 days. Nope, now my car goes to 4B00 Bayed, then goes to 4D00, then Delayed.....(and no I do not have CF1 or CF2 ordered) So as of this weekend my car has been built and sitting outside in a lot in Lansing in all of the elements for three full months. Both Rob's tracker and my S/A now show EDD 11/23/2022. Roughly 17 months after my order was placed and five months after my car was built. But I cannot get a straight answer from anybody if it may possibly be delayed more. Again cannot get any answers/info what-so-ever from Cadillac as to what the delays were/are. Any explanation from Cadillac would of been nice. I got more info from this forum than from Cadillac! As most of you know 2023 Blackwings are now being shipped and delivered to customers while some of us are still waiting on our 2022's.

As I work in retail selling Honda motorcycles, I completely understand the impact of Covid and shortages. What I do not understand nor accept is that GM and Cadillac have no answers nor information for either their dealers or their Blackwing buyers (us). Is this or is this not GM's flagship brand? All of the manufactures are dealing with shortages of options and/or parts. Honda is constantly keeping us abreast and advised on what is available and what is not so that we can confidently relay that info to our customers that have bikes ordered from us. A friend of mine ordered a BMW M4 manual trans and yes it was delayed a bit due to options that he ordered, but BMW kept his dealer in the loop at all times, plus my friend was able to track his car on his phone from order, to production, to shipping, to arrival at port, to arrival at his dealer. Now that is great customer service and his BMW came from Germany, not Lansing Michigan. Can Cadillac not have something like this in today's internet world? He has been driving his M4 for eight months while I am still waiting on my Blackwing. (We ordered within a week of each other).

I know what you all are thinking, "heck you've waited this long, whats another two or three months?" So here is why:
1) Cadillac's lack of info/response to its dealers and to myself after many inquiries. I mean after all this is a $100K plus purchase! This is really the most important reason for me bailing out, I just cannot do business with a company with such little regard to its customers. I can only imagine how they will handle long term repairs and parts for this specialty car.
2) The wait really did not bother me too much till 2023's were available for order and now are delivering.
3) I really do not want to buy a year old model car in Nov/Dec of this year, especially considering I, and most of us are paying MSRP or more for our Blackwings.
4) Lastly I am a extremely picky/anal/fussy person with my cars and motorcycles and none of them spend a night outside let alone five months. I just cannot get my head wrapped around purchasing a new car, a special ordered one at that, which has been sitting outside in all the elements around a factory for five months! This is unimportant to some but drives me crazy and I decided to bail out with this last delay.

So I notified my friend salesman that I am out. Of course he is disappointed as I'm sure these pay a pretty good commission and him and I are close as he has purchased many Honda motorcycles from me over the years, none at MSRP (ha-ha). He texted me back in 10 minutes and another sales person at his store moved the next person in line up for "my" Blackwing, along with a $15K ADM! (I was at MSRP).

I will start my car search over again tomorrow. Probably back to BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, or Infiniti as they all seem to understand high line buyers like us pretty well (not saying that they don't have delay's/problems too, but they seem to communicate better). I am done with GM for now as this has been such a cluster for me. I really wanted a super cool, fast sedan with a manual transmission, but honestly this is a small world problem especially here in Florida after Hurricane Ian hit us last week. I will land a suitable replacement soon. (Probably another BMW M5 Competition as I loved my previous one).

Rob, thank you for this forum and all the info you and it has provided. Sorry I had to bail but believe it or not, I actually am a bit relieved as this was driving me frickin' nuts and pissing me off more and more each day that went by with no info and no car! I just know I would not be happy with it in my mind with all of the negatives I have stated above and then would of re-sold it immediately and honestly I am too busy for that....even at a profit. Please remove me from the list.

Sorry for my long final post and hope some of you can see where I am coming from. Here's wishing everybody on here gets their Blackwing and enjoys them!

Motorin Mark....Over and out.
I understand your frustration.

Here is my ownership path. I had an "order" at my local dealer since Feb 2022, and then I made another order at a second dealer in April. It turns out that I was simply on a "waitlist" to get a real order, both with a $1000 deposit. Neither dealer actually had a build allocation for my "orders". I got lucky that I kept looking on the Internet and found a dealer within 100 miles that received several unsold units at once. I was able to purchase my car for MSRP. My only compromise was for exterior/interior color choice and that the car has a sunroof which I did not want.

Just about the only way to buy a Cadillac BW is from a dealer that is getting allocations. Otherwise, you will be frustrated.

Your points #2 and #3 really hit home for me and after debating a lot, I've officially bailed on my CT5-BW as well, even though it is supposed to be delivered this week.

With that said, I'm not leaving the rodeo completely. Just taking a short break for few months then will be back for more frustration and pain when my Track Edition production date comes closer.

Last edited:
Your points #2 and #3 really hit home for me and after debating a lot, I've officially bailed on my CT5-BW as well, even though it is supposed to be delivered this week.

With that said, I'm not leaving the rodeo completely. Just taking a short break for few months then will be back for more frustration and pain when my Track Edition production date comes closer.
Wow! I'll admit, I'm surprised to read it. Since yours finally shipped, I thought you would be so excited for it. I don't understand the problem with point 3... I much rather save 7k+ (almost 10 if you have the top seats) to own a 22 instead of a 23. But to each his own, hope it works for you. I am curious why you are buying a 23 track edition after owning a 22?

It's one thing to bail on the general process, but when your car is on a truck for delivery this week? Bruh. I don't engage dealers until I'm 100% ready to make a deal (I will walk if that particular deal isn't favorable) but I get that everyone is different and that things change over time. All I can think of is the words of wisdom my wife and I give our high school age daughters when they go out, "don't do stupid shit!". Buying a 5BW can certainly qualify as stupid shit, so you do you.

It's one thing to bail on the general process, but when your car is on a truck for delivery this week?

His was built 5 months ago and has been sitting outside that entire time. It's the prior model year.

It's basically a used car at this point, regardless of what the odometer shows.

His was built 5 months ago and has been sitting outside that entire time. It's the prior model year.

Interesting. It is still 2022, but his is used just because it sat outside for a certain period? By that logic, if your personal car gets delivered in January 2023, will you also bail at that point? Or is it more the fact that your 2023 would need to be delivered early enough in the year to be current? Just trying to understand the position.

The used car market has definitely softened in the last 45 days, if the dealer agrees with you maybe he can buy it at a discount. I have a feeling his car will be sold today if it has not been already.

Vehicles manufactured in Europe (I am coming from the BMW world) can easily take 3 to 4 months from being produced to delivered with current logistic nightmares as they sit at port for months. If it was me, I wouldnt bail out because of that reason especially when the vehicle has almost reached the dealership. In additional MY22 to MY23 MSRP difference is an added incentive as well.

Interesting. It is still 2022, but his is used just because it sat outside for a certain period? By that logic, if your personal car gets delivered in January 2023, will you also bail at that point? Or is it more the fact that your 2023 would need to be delivered early enough in the year to be current? Just trying to understand the position.

This car has spent 150 nights out in the elements, which is more nights than many of our cars will be outside during the entire time we own them. And its engine possibly went almost 5 months without being turned over. That's not a good way to treat a car.

There's a guy on this forum who has a 5BW that he put like 1,000 miles on in 6 months. That car has been garaged and driven regularly (albeit sparingly). It is probably in better shape than the "new" car that has been sitting outside for 5 months.

Don't know how much of that factored into the guy's reasoning for bailing.

For me personally, those factors would be contributing factors to bailing. I am already a little annoyed that I had to accept a dealer spec order rather than the exact build I originally requested. (Why was the dealer submitting spec orders when they have a waiting list?) And I am additionally annoyed that someone who ordered his car from the same dealer as me but one month after me had his car built 2 weeks before mine and already has his car.

For now I am in waiting mode and trying not to think about the car too much. But when I get The Call, I might find that the news just doesn't "do anything" for me. That the waiting list chicanery, and the "mandatory options" from a dealer that brags about selling at MSRP, and the long slog all combined to suck the fun out of it. And I might bail just like he did.

We're not all posting goat GIFs because goat GIFs are rational. These are emotional purchase decisions. There will also be emotional decisions to bail.

His decision to bail is no less valid than his original decision to purchase.

This car has spent 150 nights out in the elements, which is more nights than many of our cars will be outside during the entire time we own them. And its engine possibly went almost 5 months without being turned over. That's not a good way to treat a car.

There's a guy on this forum who has a 5BW that he put like 1,000 miles on in 6 months. That car has been garaged and driven regularly (albeit sparingly). It is probably in better shape than the "new" car that has been sitting outside for 5 months.

For me personally, those factors would be contributing factors to bailing. I am already a little annoyed that I had to accept a dealer spec order rather than the exact build I originally requested. (Why was the dealer submitting spec orders when they have a waiting list?) And I am additionally annoyed that someone who ordered his car from the same dealer as me but one month after me had his car built 2 weeks before mine and already has his car.

For now I am in waiting mode and trying not to think about the car too much. But when I get The Call, I might find that the news just doesn't "do anything" for me. That the waiting list chicanery, and the "mandatory options" from a dealer that brags about selling at MSRP, and the long slog all combined to suck the fun out of it. And I might bail just like he did.

We're not all posting goat GIFs because goat GIFs are rational. These are emotional purchase decisions. There will also be emotional decisions to bail.

Appreciate your reply, and very much hope your 4 arrives sooner than later.

Most of my car purchases over the years have been at the end of the model year. This was always done intentionally to get a better discount. I never cared much for having the latest and greatest, as long as it was new. My M5 was probably one of the first cars that I ordered at the beginning of the new model year (last year).

Everyone has their reasons for bailing (or waiting) and all of them are valid IMO. It's a large purchase. I'm finally at the point in life where I can buy what I want when I want. The rest of the world is not cooperating, however. :hb

I couldn't have said it better. All my vehicles are garaged and all my previous cars combined, during the ownership they probably spent less than a week outside. Similarly, my last few vehicles were custom orders so I know they did not spend too much time outside from the time they were built to when I received them.

If the wait wasn't already annoying enough, seeing 2023 models being delivered while my car sat outside with MP status was even more disappointing. There is no difference between the to models but if will definitely impact resale, whenever I decide to sell it.

Also, the constant delays made me lose interest in CT5-BW and my Hellrango has grown on me a lot more on me than I had thought. I would love to own CT5-BW someday but it is just not as much of a priority as it was when I placed the order last year.

In hind sight, I could have just taken delivery and flipped it to make quick buck (like few people have done) but I was getting it at MSRP so would like the new owner to have the same option (unless dealership gets greedy :) ).

I couldn't have said it better. All my vehicles are garaged and all my previous cars combined, during the ownership they probably spent less than a week outside. Similarly, my last few vehicles were custom orders so I know they did not spend too much time outside from the time they were built to when I received them.

If the wait wasn't already annoying enough, seeing 2023 models being delivered while my car sat outside with MP status was even more disappointing. There is no difference between the to models but if will definitely impact resale, whenever I decide to sell it.

Also, the constant delays made me lose interest in CT5-BW and my Hellrango has grown on me a lot more on me than I had thought. I would love to own CT5-BW someday but it is just not as much of a priority as it was when I placed the order last year.

In hind sight, I could have just taken delivery and flipped it to make quick buck (like few people have done) but I was getting it at MSRP so would like the new owner to have the same option (unless dealership gets greedy :) ).
What you do with your car is your business, just throwing my 2 cents in, cause......internet....

I am not trying to defend GM, I believe that their process, especially as it pertains to specialty cars could use some work, especially on the logistics side.

With the Blackwings and Corvette, we all know they are allocation based, your time table says your car was placed 8/24, accepted by GM 3/21, thats 6 months you waited.....sure, but in reality that shouldn't have been a surprise.

Your car was produced 6/22, thats 3 months from 2000 to 3800. Then another 3ish months from 3800 to in transit to dealer. I would bet if the majority of this board knew they could place a order and receive the car in less then 6 months, 99% would hit the buy button.

For reference, I placed my order last August, it was built in January and it sat in the lot of doom until July.

No one is invalidating others decisions here, we're just sharing opinions about an interesting reaction to what was once a highly desirable object to him. My opinion does not invalidate your more empathetic view of his decision.

There is one additional 5BW in the world that may not have been born without this guy, so we can all agree that is good thing.

I'm kind of leaning the same direction... Granted I haven't been waiting the exorbitant amount of time some of you have, (ordered in May) but as my delivery nears, I am second guessing how much I really want the vehicle I ordered.
With the supply constraint issues, I couldn't order the car exactly how I wanted it (no available CF1) but otherwise it was still acceptable cause I wanted the overall package. In the time between ordering (after GM acceptance and build) I changed my mind on some options (mostly color choices) and honestly, even with it not affecting the overall performance, I'm not really digging the car without CF1. The color combo I originally picked initially has become less desirable personally, especially after seeing the color/pattern/seat options for the "track editions" on the 4BW I disliked my choices even more. On top of that, the other vehicle I was looking at had a 10-20k markup at the time I put in my order (which it currently is ordering at MSRP) and I like that one more, so...

Not worth the aggravation. Flip it for 10-20k? Handle the transaction, file all the papers, and then report it to the IRS for capital gains. No thanks on that.

I think Sewell only sells at MSRP, so someone is going to be very happy. After a car wash, they won't care how many months it sat outside. I don't personally subscribe to the theory that it could be bad if it was built 4-5 months ago and not turned over much since then. The guy with the supercharger or other engine issue at 288 miles has a 2023. That must have been built in the past 60 days. Makes no difference.

I'm kind of leaning the same direction... Granted I haven't been waiting the exorbitant amount of time some of you have, (ordered in May) but as my delivery nears, I am second guessing how much I really want the vehicle I ordered.
With the supply constraint issues, I couldn't order the car exactly how I wanted it (no available CF1) but otherwise it was still acceptable cause I wanted the overall package. In the time between ordering (after GM acceptance and build) I changed my mind on some options (mostly color choices) and honestly, even with it not affecting the overall performance, I'm not really digging the car without CF1. The color combo I originally picked initially has become less desirable personally, especially after seeing the color/pattern/seat options for the "track editions" on the 4BW I disliked my choices even more. On top of that, the other vehicle I was looking at had a 10-20k markup at the time I put in my order (which it currently is ordering at MSRP) and I like that one more, so...
And all of these things also went into my decision to bail out. This is the first car purchase that plain and simply took so long that I finally lost all of my enthusiasm for, I had a big Woody at first.... but could only keep it up for so long......Then I started to hear about all the black paint problems from 1StunnaV, unpainted hood edges (no way I could deal with repainting the hood on my new $100K car!), mismatched body panels etc, I knew to bail was the right thing for me to do. Now I see still that not many are being delivered here on the East coast. I have not second guessed my decision to bow out of my purchase once. Not judging anybody else's decision here.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back