Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

I have a deeper appreciation of the CT5-V Blackwing

668LT4

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5-V Blackwing
My 2022 arrived last November from Dustin / Sewell. I managed about 2500 miles since that time, with mostly shorter drives. Many through the winter when roads were dry and temps were warm enough.

This past week, I made an unexpected trip to Aspen with my daughter. Up Monday morning, back Tuesday night. About 225 miles each way from where I live. I was initially hesitant to bring the car as I70 is a real shit show condition wise. But then I considered I am not keeping a 100k car that can only go certain places. What an amazingly rewarding drive. On highway sections with a 75MPH limit, I cruised around 84. I frequently pulled on straightaways up to enjoyable numbers. What an absolute joy 6th gear is with that torque. The highway MPGs were up to 25 while cruising in the 80s. The full commute averaged 22MPH each way, and that included stop and go near Aspen / Snowmass and plenty of WOT. I utilized mostly Tour and MyMode for some obnoxious exhaust in town. I missed most of the I70s hazards, and the few I hit were soaked up in a super smooth manner. The high level semi-aniline seats continue to impress. On the way home we made no stops and were in the car over 3 hours. I was completely comfortable and never needing to shift around while driving. I owned the midgrade leather before, and the SA seats are noticeably more comfortable. They're perfect. Could not be happier with this machine. Now over 3000 miles, and ready for the summer ahead.

20230529_100438.jpg
20230530_164449.jpg
20230530_210100 - Copy.jpg

Rewards from the 2 day journey:
20230602_071336 - Copy.jpg

All cleaned and resting comfortably.
20230603_092245 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
I agree 100%. My appreciation really grew after SM but find myself falling deeper in love each day. Crazy how that works. Don't use mine as a daily and will only take it certain places but also at 3k miles. I can't go more than a week without driving it- miss it too damn much!

Agreed. This car continues to grow more and more on me. I love that the car is whatever you want it to be. I didn’t want it to be my DD but getting seat time in it is like cocaine. Mine was delivered early January ‘23 and now close to 6k.

As one who is still lurking on the sidelines, I appreciate these write-ups. I'm nudging toward the 5 now...mostly because of the useful back seat.
In particular, great to see the real world MPG, as my car will be used for business trips--and they reimburse at a per-mile rate...and not by gas receipt.
Finally, I'll have to make sure I try the semi-aniline seats; my thought had been the mid-grade only prior to reading.

I love the CF backed SA seats. Been on several all day driving trips and they felt great. Your results may vary depending on your derrière configuration. I’m a tall skinny guy.

As one who is still lurking on the sidelines, I appreciate these write-ups. I'm nudging toward the 5 now...mostly because of the useful back seat.
In particular, great to see the real world MPG, as my car will be used for business trips--and they reimburse at a per-mile rate...and not by gas receipt.
Finally, I'll have to make sure I try the semi-aniline seats; my thought had been the mid-grade only prior to reading.
Glad the post helped. I can add I owned a CT4-V Blackwing prior to having the 5. I never intended to keep it, but my 5 was still a ways out so I was able to put about 2000 miles on it and sell it over MSRP, which covered my tax expense and allowed it to be an even wash. That car had the top level leather seats available on a 4, which are the mid level in the 5. That is how I am able to compare. The seats in the 4 were stiffer than the SA seats in the 5, especially on the seatback. I am not an expert on the new order book / options, but think you can order SA seats on the 5 without carbon fiber seatbacks and save a few thousand if inclined. The carbon backs look spectacular and are a nice Blackwing feature, but to me the SA leather is the bigger deal by far.

I was mostly compelled to write the post as it was really the first time I enjoyed the vehicle as "just a car". My usual drives are shorter and always involve wheel spinning and pedal down acceleration. This trip was more of a spirited luxury commute, and the car really shined in that role. I guess said another way, this Blackwing remains spectacular even if you are not pushing like you are at Spring Mountain or something. Best of luck with your decision.

Glad the post helped. I can add I owned a CT4-V Blackwing prior to having the 5. I never intended to keep it, but my 5 was still a ways out so I was able to put about 2000 miles on it and sell it over MSRP, which covered my tax expense and allowed it to be an even wash. That car had the top level leather seats available on a 4, which are the mid level in the 5. That is how I am able to compare. The seats in the 4 were stiffer than the SA seats in the 5, especially on the seatback. I am not an expert on the new order book / options, but think you can order SA seats on the 5 without carbon fiber seatbacks and save a few thousand if inclined. The carbon backs look spectacular and are a nice Blackwing feature, but to me the SA leather is the bigger deal by far.

I was mostly compelled to write the post as it was really the first time I enjoyed the vehicle as "just a car". My usual drives are shorter and always involve wheel spinning and pedal down acceleration. This trip was more of a spirited luxury commute, and the car really shined in that role. I guess said another way, this Blackwing remains spectacular even if you are not pushing like you are at Spring Mountain or something. Best of luck with your decision.
She is a good looking lady @668LT4 !

I often talk about how enjoyable it is to drive these unicorns to folks at get togethers when interested in the know of the car, and it's almost like a high schooler gushing at at particular moment!

For all the challenge that rides along with this process of ordering, waiting, receiving and then finally enjoying these beast's out of the box, it's worth the effort it in my opine!

No doubt! Miles and Smiles with my 5BW.

Funny a couple of weeks ago I was doing a similar road trip and was VERY tempted to take the BW but said to my wife, I'm not too confident I can behave going through the mountains, (4 lanes/ smooth roads.) I could just envision myself rolling through the gears while enjoying triple digits.

I have another opportunity coming up soon for the same trip, this time I'm taking the BW!

Thank you, sir, for this write up!

I would absolutely already be in trouble if I had the manual. I mean how can you not just push the accelerator and push the clutch while shifting and just feeling it? By far my hardest decision when buying car was: Stick or no Stick?

Funny a couple of weeks ago I was doing a similar road trip and was VERY tempted to take the BW but said to my wife, I'm not too confident I can behave going through the mountains, (4 lanes/ smooth roads.) I could just envision myself rolling through the gears while enjoying triple digits.

I have another opportunity coming up soon for the same trip, this time I'm taking the BW!

Thank you, sir, for this write up!
Really, it is my pleasure.

Anyone who drives one of these cars can tell how magnificent the sporty qualities are. 7-8 hours of seat time over a day and a half made me realize that it does all those things while still being a Cadillac. It is just a super unique product offering. Nothing like it, IMO.

I'm glad yours will make the next journey. The mountain twisties were my favorite part of the trip. I was ripping up the hills and it felt awesome. Triple digits do arrive effortlessly, I was very careful as to when I summoned them ;-)

They really are amazing cars. They can be a track animal, a fun car through the mountains, or a great highway cruiser. Comfortable on the highway going long distance, near triple speeds on a canyon road (or AZ back road), or ripping up a track. A jack of all trades.

I'll jump in. I'm totally in love with my 5BW due to its ability to be an outstanding all-rounder.

I truly have loved the 6 other cars I've owned - first car a modified Integra that finished in the top 10% overall in autocrosses regularly, followed by E39 M5, S2000, E90 M3 manual sedan, Lotus Elise (still have, perfect complement to 5BW), and Civic Type R. The E39 M5, while being by far the most problematic, had been my favorite with a brutish V8 and deft moves in the twisties, but quiet and utterly comfortable all while looking elegant but muscular.

Sound familiar? That's exactly what I was looking for in the 5BW, and it delivers in spades. I tell everyone it's an E39 M5 with 20+ years of development. Somehow even more comfortable than the old M5, and laden with the latest tech that's actually useful (not screens, gesture controls and mood lighting). Frankly since '90s-00s era cars were softer and quieter in general, IMO the E39 M5 today feel more like a quick and capable luxury car than a hardcore ///M car. The 5BW drives quite similarly, but with so much more savagery in every dimension. The fact that it beats the M5 CS around the track with just RWD and a manual on PS4S's says a lot.

So yes, among the epic cars I've had the opportunity to own, the 5BW is my new favorite and I can't see anything with 4 doors past, present, and likely future swaying me from driving this one indefinitely. It's simply outstanding and I wish the general public would listen more closely to the unanimously glowing reviews.

I've had my 4BW for 2 weeks now and I love it. I took it to some twisties the other day, and the car gave me a small glimpse of what it's capable of on track. I will have to miss June's TNIA due to other commitments, but I will make it out to the July TNIA. After about 1200 miles, the exhaust has been 'broken in' and I can now clearly hear the burbles and pops and the thrilling exhaust note. I was underwhelmed with the sound until the miles racked up. The media really downplayed how it sounds. Because I think it sounds fantastic. It has a pretty unique exhaust note, IMO. Similar to a stock R35 GTR, but lower pitched and a bit deeper.

I actually find myself being a bit more of a relaxed driver with the 4BW. I set cruise control to 2-3 above the speed limit on the freeway, and just cruise. If I need to pass, I don't even need to downshift, and before I know it, I'm going 90 something. I'm also impressed with the MPGs. I managed to get 26.5 MPG at a steady 72 MPH. My other car, a GR Corolla, has a free-revving, higher strung big turbo that has an engine attached to it, which just eggs me to drive it like a lunatic. Which I kind of do. But I can't get away with that kind of driving with the 4BW.

Over 10k miles on mine and absolutely loving it. I had high expectations and no disappointments here. The earlier comment of it being the modern equivalent of the E39 M5 is spot on. That is high praise.

SM trip cemented the fact that this car is so much better than I.
I'm like a infatuated teen gushing when asked about it only to get strange looks from those unaware of what a Blackwing is really about. Glazed eyes when I say I bought a Blackwing and statements like "racing school? For a Cadillac?" "A stick shift in a Cadillac?"
It was so gratifying to meet like minded people at SM. To drive behind another 5 and see it's curves, wide rear rubber and hear it's exhaust. Just not a view you get from driver's seat. The more I drive and get to know my car the better it gets.

SM trip cemented the fact that this car is so much better than I.
I'm like a infatuated teen gushing when asked about it only to get strange looks from those unaware of what a Blackwing is really about. Glazed eyes when I say I bought a Blackwing and statements like "racing school? For a Cadillac?" "A stick shift in a Cadillac?"
It was so gratifying to meet like minded people at SM. To drive behind another 5 and see it's curves, wide rear rubber and hear it's exhaust. Just not a view you get from driver's seat. The more I drive and get to know my car the better it gets.
Maybe I should have stared at the moving cars a bit more. Was too focused on not driving off the course.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back