Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

How many of you with a 4BW or a 5BW actually took one for a test drive before buying?

First I watched every and all youtube videos and read through the forums for a long time. C&D marked the 4 and 5 BW 10/10 for both model years which meant something to me at the time.

Test drove a 4V and 5V since those were the only things available locally at the time. Dealer got a used Orange 4BW 6MT in and let me come by for a spirited 20-some minute test drive and I was sold. Immediately put in the order.

Honestly, I likely would have held off if I didn't get that last test drive. I'm very particular about the "feel" of a vehicle and pictures or blogs alone won't do them justice.

No Blackwing test drive, but got some ergonomic data points. Sat in a CT4, too small IMO. The CT4 is okay when I'm in it, but it's not pleasant to get into and out of. If they had made a CT4 2-door that would be a completely different story. I learned that the mini-doors on the CT4 would drive me nuts over time.

Test drove a CT5-V (non-BW), liked the ergonomics *much* better. Maybe I was looking for an excuse to justify the 5BW. :) Liked the way it felt and drove. May have been tempted to not go all the way up to the 5BW if the regular CT5-V wasn't missing a pedal (yet another reason the "halo car" effect of the Blackwings is completely wasted by Cadillac, none of the Blackwing desirability translates to the rest of the line-up).

Another piece of information I was specifically looking for (applies to both): I really liked the controls--actual buttons in the center stack, not the horrific haptic feedback capacitive touch center stack in Cadillacs in the 2013-ish era. If the 5BW had the capacitive touch "buttons" I would not have bought it, period. I drove a friend's Cadillac of that earlier generation and it was infuriating how bad the controls were. Just reaching over and tapping physical buttons to adjust the temp or fan or whatever is really nice on this generation of Cadillacs, just a pleasure to use. I'm not looking forward to cars that make you go through a touchscreen to do all of that.

Last edited:
@poor-sha let me drive his 5BW for about 45 minutes one Saturday afternoon before I pulled the trigger on ordering mine. I was probably going to anyway, but that fun little rip sealed the deal.

I had a a track test drive. I did the Ron Fellows driving experience here in Ontario where you do sessions in a Blackwing, ZL1 1LE and C8 so I was able to drive a manual Blackwing before getting my car.

I didn't plan that but it was nice to confirm I will love the car when it shows up.

I test drove my 4BW because it was sitting on the lot. That same day I ordered my 5BW so there was no test driving once it finally came in, I was there to welcome it.

No test drive for me either. Hadn't even seen a 5BW in person. I didn't drive any of my previous Corvettes either (MY 2000, 2005 and 2013) nor am I likely to be able to drive a Z06 before my time comes up to order. Resources like this forum, car magazine reviews and YouTube seem to give me all the info I need to feel comfortable buying without driving. At least for certain vehicles.

The dealership wouldn't let me test drive without running my credit score first/being a "serious buyer". Test drove the 4BW right before signing the paperwork.

Interestingly enough, the car had 22 miles on it so either the other "serious buyers" weren't that serious, or the employees all got to take it for a spin.

I did ditch my 2019 AMG after 3 years for the 5BW because it’s a very unique offering in today’s market, the V8 and 6M were the big draws for me. I knew the interior would be a step down from my AMG, but have zero regrets.
Just traded in my '19 AMG C43 for '23 Audi S5 Sportback. Damn it man I had no idea Audi interiors are NO joke...

Attachments

• AMG C43.jpg
    AMG C43.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 23 S5 Sportback.jpg
    23 S5 Sportback.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 23 S5 Sportback1.jpg
    23 S5 Sportback1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 23 S5 Sportback1.jpg2.jpg
    23 S5 Sportback1.jpg2.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 71
Just traded in my '19 AMG C43 for '23 Audi S5 Sportback. Damn it man I had no idea Audi interiors are NO joke...
I likely would have bought an Audi if they had a manual. I had an 11 S4 for 8 years and it was a great car and never let me down. Did all the tuning stuff, pulley, suspension, long tube headers, catless exhaust. But in the end a V6 is not the same as a V8.

Had a '17 V3 for over 60k miles so I had an idea what I was getting into when I entered the Collector Series rodeo online when orders opened up.

I did not but I did test a ct4-v and was fairly impressed!

I did the same.

While waiting for my car I got to sit in a pre-owned 5BW that had the exact same seats as my 4BW was going to have. Feeling the seats and feeling the godly shifter affirmed that I was making the correct choice.

My dealer, Sewell, also required no deposit and no requirement to actually buy the car when it showed up. That made the decision to order easier. Not sure I would have placed the order otherwise.

Oddly enough - on Turo there is someone who is renting out CT4 BW. Would be interesting to drive it around for a day. But it’s $250 a day. Get to compare it to a CT5 BW.

I test drove my CT4. Had contacted the dealer earlier about one coming into inventory, and got down to see it shortly after it arrived. They had it set up ready to go and took it for a short drive. I would have bought it regardless, but it was worth trying out. I had sat in a regular CT4-V in a dealer showroom months prior so I knew what to expect inside of it. The Cadillac gets criticised for the interior, but compared to the Audi S3 I also sat in I preferred the Caddy.

I ordered mine sight unseen including the color choice. First time I've ever done that and absolutely zero regrets.

Not only did I not test drive one. I bought mine sight unseen. I hadn’t even seen a CT5 or Blackwing in person until I was standing next to mine. Blackwing is an amazing machine.

Same with my 1LE. Same with my C6 GS. I had seen C6’s, obviously, but never driven one. That was the only mistake so far. My C6 was a terrible car.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back