Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Has anyone driven 992 Manual?

undefined

Hi guys,

Just took EU delivery for my 992 GTS a week ago. The car is amazing. but i found the clutch feel or the biting point is weird compared to CT5 Blackwing.
I don’t even know how to describe it: when i upshift in normal settings, i have to really feather the clutch and give more than 2000 rpm to avoid the jerk feeling/frustration from clutch.
But when i drive the same way as my previous cars( miata, GTI..) it is so different. I already have 1100 miles on the cars; ideally i should have get used to it already.

Will probably cross post in rennlist,

Asking anyone has similar experiences?
Or Blackwing 6 speed is just way better than 7 speed from Porsche… could be

Attachments

• IMG_3027.jpeg
    IMG_3027.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 177
  • IMG_3028.jpeg
    IMG_3028.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 176
Congrats on the car....I have heard about the 7 speed manual on the Porsches being finicky and not as crisp as the 6 speed manuals on the GT3. It's essentially a pdk without the wet clutches with a shifter on top

I have a 992 C4S. I bought it with 5000km. No issues with the clutch. Engagement is very smooth and progressive. Easy to drive smooth. Perhaps it is a break in issue?
7 speed is good although not a good as GT car 6sp.

I have a 992 C4S. I bought it with 5000km. No issues with the clutch. Engagement is very smooth and progressive. Easy to drive smooth. Perhaps it is a break in issue?
7 speed is good although not a good as GT car 6sp.
thanks, im thinking maybe i got spoiled with blackwing throttle when upshift. all i need to do i touch the gas pedal when engage once passing the biting point. For this car, i need actually use muscle. Do you feel the same?

Yeah, wish i could get GT3 manual. I hate the car shortages, now test driving vehicle is almost impossible. Everything is presold :(

I just bought my CT4 – V blackwing on the other side of the country so I haven’t had a chance to drive it yet. I’ve owned 20+ manual cars and I would say the 992 is up there as one of the better manual gear boxes. Mazda Miata is probably one of the best. Several BMW manuals which are good but definitely behind all the Porsches I’ve ever driven, as well as my T56 CTS-V1. I’m actually trading my 992 in on a new 718 Spyder next week. So I’ll get a 6 sp gt car.

The 718 spyder 6speed is very nice. I like it better than the 5BW 6060 but both are outstanding.

Not a fan of cable shifter P-cars. Did that with my 981 GT4 and went PDK on 991.2 GT3 and now my current 992 GTS Coupe.

I do agree with GT325 that I drove a buddy's 718 Spyder 6 speed and that was nice.

OP, in short, no, the regular P-car shifters aren't quite as nice as the 6060 in the 5BW. Also, powerband (out of boost), and electronic throttle calibration is definitely going to feel different than the Blackwing set-up.

My personal opinion and what I have current, do PDK on P-cars and six-speed on 5BW.

Not a fan of cable shifter P-cars. Did that with my 981 GT4 and went PDK on 991.2 GT3 and now my current 992 GTS Coupe.

I do agree with GT325 that I drove a buddy's 718 Spyder 6 speed and that was nice.

OP, in short, no, the regular P-car shifters aren't quite as nice as the 6060 in the 5BW. Also, powerband (out of boost), and electronic throttle calibration is definitely going to feel different than the Blackwing set-up.

My personal opinion and what I have current, do PDK on P-cars and six-speed on 5BW.
thanks, that makes sense…but the ship has sailed, i actually traded in my 2021 C4S PDK for GTS manual. i guess i will just need to make more money for 992.2 manual

Not sure on a 992 but the 996/997/987/981 all had crappy shifters. A lot of plastic that doesn't feel great new and gets really floppy when used for awhile. The 991 GTS I drove was a bit better and I'm sure the 981 GT4 probably had a different shifter setup. However, Numeric exists for all of the 996+ model years and that's a fantastic shifter/cable setup. $1200 and you have a top notch shifter/cable setup.

I owned a 991.2 manual C4S. It had this same issue, which is essentially rev hang. The Blackwings manual and most American V8 manuals have zero rev hang, you could shift like your on a race track and never get any bucking or rev hang from these cars.

Driving my 911 spiritedly resulted in the bucking/rev hang when shifting quickly. I guess the 992 didn't fix this. There isn't any fix, you either shift slower to prevent the lurch or you just deal with it.

I made a similar post on Rennlist after I got the car and people said that yes, its normal but its not a big deal and you just ignore it when shifting fast. It also seemed to be more of an issue in sport plus because the turbo would stay spooled and not drop the revs. Driving in normal mode was a little bit better, at least on my 991.2

okie, i’m 87.9% sure i figured it out why. the small transmission jerk only happened when i drive in the city. since i’m so used to blackwing manual shift and larger horsepower (apologize to my GTS,the horsepower is not that impressive compared to LT4), i only touch/feather the pedal when i upshift in the city (1200 rpm); i found out i need to upshift between (1500-1800rpm) in GTS to make it happy. When i was driving in german autobahn , this issue did not occur to me at all. this issue became more noticeable when i drive in Zurich.

Dude, you need more rpm. You need to be shifting the GTS between 2-3k for just lightly cruising around. Lugging the engine can be very bad for it.

The LT4 is hard to lug as it has torque from 1k rpm, but don’t be afraid to rev that one too. Shift around 2-2.5k for just cruising around.

Disagree quikag. The 992 3.0L has great drivability at low revs. If you follow the up shift light it has you shifting at barely 2k rpm and cruising at 1500rpm. No lugging at those rpms. My 992 is smooth when i do shift at low rpm’s.

I agree with quicksilver. These boxes like more RPMs. I find especially the 1-2 shift is far better when done at anything other than very low RPMs. The Porsche upshift light is a complete joke I think it is there for fuel economy reasons only.

Disagree quikag. The 992 3.0L has great drivability at low revs. If you follow the up shift light it has you shifting at barely 2k rpm and cruising at 1500rpm. No lugging at those rpms. My 992 is smooth when i do shift at low rpm’s.

I do agree the 3.0L can cruise at surprisingly low rpm and hold rpm at low throttle inputs. But, I dislike the shift algorithm in my 992 GTS PDK in normal mode as it does cruise around town at 1,200rpm, etc. But, when I give it throttle it kicks down a few gears and gets into the powerband quickly. That said, I almost always put it in sport mode as that is gives better rpm IMHO as it cruises at 2-2,500rpm and just feels happier at those rpms versus near 1k rpm.

You have no power at 1,000-1,200rpm with the 3.0 even though it will hold those rpms. It still feels like it's lugging a bit so I wouldn't recommend it.

I agree with quicksilver. These boxes like more RPMs. I find especially the 1-2 shift is far better when done at anything other than very low RPMs. The Porsche upshift light is a complete joke I think it is there for fuel economy reasons only.

Yep! Just because the engine can manage low rpm doesn't make it a good thing. Again, I'm glad I have the PDK as it won't really let you lug the engine too much before kicking down gears in normal mode. sport mode and sport plus, it's plenty of rpm to get up and go quickly.

My upshift light on my '22 BRZ manual is also a complete joke. It wants me to shift at 2k rpm all the time and cruise around at 1,700-1,800rpm. As you can imagine, that 2.4L boxer 4 has basically ZERO power at those rpm's. Lug city.

Yep! Just because the engine can manage low rpm doesn't make it a good thing. Again, I'm glad I have the PDK as it won't really let you lug the engine too much before kicking down gears in normal mode. sport mode and sport plus, it's plenty of rpm to get up and go quickly.

My upshift light on my '22 BRZ manual is also a complete joke. It wants me to shift at 2k rpm all the time and cruise around at 1,700-1,800rpm. As you can imagine, that 2.4L boxer 4 has basically ZERO power at those rpm's. Lug city.
trying to do 2k rpm shifting from now; takes me a while to get used to it. once the car passes the break in , i will probably drive in sport mode only : ) thanks all for chiming in. great help

trying to do 2k rpm shifting from now; takes me a while to get used to it. once the car passes the break in , i will probably drive in sport mode only : ) thanks all for chiming in. great help
For proper break-in, you really need to vary load and rpm. If you’re always driving under 2k rpm during break-in, you are definitely doing your engine a disservice. The owners manual even states as such.

Enjoy in good health!!

For proper break-in, you really need to vary load and rpm. If you’re always driving under 2k rpm during break-in, you are definitely doing your engine a disservice. The owners manual even states as such.

Enjoy in good health!!
thanks for remainder. totally varied RPM in the mountain drive and german autobahn. very tempted to go > 4k rpm actually : )

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back