Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

First (warranty) repair - clunk in right rear

dstewart51

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
23' CT4V-BW
Since the day I bough my 4BW, I have heard a light clunk in the right rear. The noise presented itself under sharp edged bumps and was in rebound, not compression. It was much more noticeable if the suspension was stiffened up, it was hardly noticeable in the normal soft setting. I almost thought it was just a characteristic of the car until I went to the V-Academy and drove another one. While I was there, another member here rode with me in mine and said his did not make the noise. So I finally took it to the dealer, had the service manager ride with me to point out the noise and left it with them.

The next day I called and they said it needed a rear shock. I picked up the car yesterday and wow, its like a new car again. I didn't think the clunk was that bad until its now that its gone and I love it, wish I took it in months ago. I drove all the way from Torrance to Palmdale (3 hour drive) in the middle stiffness setting just to enjoy the silent ride home.

Ah Torrance, my home town.
Shocks went bad on my SS(mag ride) at around 40k miles which was fairly common. Felt like a mini truck on 6" blocks. I wonder what the average life will be for our BW's.

Since the day I bough my 4BW, I have heard a light clunk in the right rear. The noise presented itself under sharp edged bumps and was in rebound, not compression. It was much more noticeable if the suspension was stiffened up, it was hardly noticeable in the normal soft setting. I almost thought it was just a characteristic of the car until I went to the V-Academy and drove another one. While I was there, another member here rode with me in mine and said his did not make the noise. So I finally took it to the dealer, had the service manager ride with me to point out the noise and left it with them.

The next day I called and they said it needed a rear shock. I picked up the car yesterday and wow, its like a new car again. I didn't think the clunk was that bad until its now that its gone and I love it, wish I took it in months ago. I drove all the way from Torrance to Palmdale (3 hour drive) in the middle stiffness setting just to enjoy the silent ride home.
I had a shock warranty replaced on my old ATS with mag ride. It had a little clunk when it was unloaded in turns. Slight, but annoying. Happy that you have found new joy!

Had the same problem on a Gen2 CTS-V. The rear ones are easy to diagnose once removed. I have a crude video posted here.

Glad you got it sorted! And that is not the first time I have been referred to as "another member". 😂

Glad you got it sorted! And that is not the first time I have been referred to as "another member". 😂
You have been called more names than me, lol......
angry bad man GIF

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners