Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

EV Thoughts Thread: cause the old farts did their usual thing

There was a study done in Great Britain that concluded that EVs actually produce more pollution to our air than an ICE car. Apparently the production of electricity is not that green. Of course it depends on the source of energy that produces the electricity.
I’ve see all kinds of reports that say EV cost of ownership is near 0 and/or EV cost of ownership is way higher than ICE cars, pollution high, pollution low, blah, blah, blah. You can make data say anything you want with an agenda. In the end, I think it’s good to have alternative modes of transportation. Choice is always good And anything that moves Technology forward is great for society as a whole.

That has been part of the conversation for several years. If your electric is from coal, your EV isn't very green. Add to that your additional weight destroying our roads faster and your faster wear on tires because of weight, and are you really greener? I wish I had the article, but someone calculated that most EV's don't become greener than gas until around 50,000 miles depending on cost, range, etc.
I saw the same article and analysis. I wish the public were more aware and didn't believe that EVs don't pollute.

That has been part of the conversation for several years. If your electric is from coal, your EV isn't very green. Add to that your additional weight destroying our roads faster and your faster wear on tires because of weight, and are you really greener? I wish I had the article, but someone calculated that most EV's don't become greener than gas until around 50,000 miles depending on cost, range, etc.
There are many sources. This one is a direct comparison of a Volvo plant that has a similar ICE and EV vehicle.

The full PDF report from Volvo is here:

I'm no tree hugger, but, like everything else, it's very controversial. Not to mention how we're destroying the the earth to get the lithium. You do you. If it works for you, carry on

I'm no tree hugger, but, like everything else, it's very controversial. Not to mention how we're destroying the the earth to get the lithium. You do you. If it works for you, carry on

Exactly, there a huge cost in the mining of the lithium and other minerals for the batteries, and the future costs of recycling and/or burying these toxic chemicals. Assuming of course, that the car didn't burst into flames and consume itself along with the driver and passengers.

There was a study done in Great Britain that concluded that EVs actually produce more pollution to our air than an ICE car. Apparently the production of electricity is not that green. Of course it depends on the source of energy that produces the electricity.
I've been telling folks (who fanatically push EVs) this for years....its at least a consideration. We need cleaner electricity....until then its probably pretty much a wash....particularly considering the issues with Lithium and what others have already mentioned here.

Back in the day it was the smug Prius owners...and OK I get it....as long as your idea of a car is essentially like driving a waterbed on wheels - how I described it after a 1 week rental one time - much of it driving mountain roads in Puerto Rico.

On the good side I was able to talk my way out of a speeding ticket after becoming incredulous that the cop could even suggest I was going as fast as she said I was going. I told her that the car can't even go over 65...and apparently, after much protestation on my part, she agreed....probably helped that I had two young children in the back vociferously agreeing with me (concerning how slow and pathetic the car was).

"In Poland and China, for example, an EV would need to be driven 78,700 miles to break-even"

The full PDF report from Volvo is here:

This is an excellent article. It appears to bring data and reason to this emotional and politically motivated discussion. In summary, the article demonstrates that the carbon footprint of the ICE is lower than the BEV until a breakeven point of 90,000 miles. At a total lifetime of 124,000 miles assumed in the study, the carbon footprint of the BEV is less than 10% better than the ICE vehicle - so basically the same. This is assuming the current global mix of electricity sources. The study did examine a scenario of 100% wind energy sources which of course has a different result.

It is amazing and very sad that this kind of data driven analysis and fact-based conclusions are absent from the mainstream narrative around EVs.

WOW, I don't log on to the forum for a couple of week and look what I missed! I think some electric cars are cool and a birdie told me our favorite brand will be coming out with an electric V but I will not be purchasing one....

WOW, I don't log on to the forum for a couple of week and look what I missed! I think some electric cars are cool and a birdie told me our favorite brand will be coming out with an electric V but I will not be purchasing one....

You miss a day, you miss a lot.

Think I saw an article somewhere about the electric V. Cadillac has some interesting EV's in the pipeline.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back