Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V engine surge / "porpoising"

CT5-V Model
So an update....dealer kept the car for a week and basically gave me the run around....after saying they initially felt it they claimed since there were no codes and could not recreate it to file a case they could not do anything. They did not fix any of my other stuff as well...buzzing in driver door, oxidation on strut tower brace, rear view mirror vibrating ....very disappointing
I noticed my rear view vibrates quite a lot, too. I only notice it when using "real" mirror mode.
Yes I have pdr....but it's set to over write. Picking up car today.
I could be wrong, but I don't think the PDR will overwrite. Once it fills up, assuming you have it on automatic recording, it will just tell you the card is full. Surround view will overwrite the oldest video. With a 128GB card, it's still a ton of video.

I am getting a bit frustrated...I had the engine hesitation issue literally as I was leaving the dealership. It happens every time now when the engine is cold .. I have no idea why they could not feel it. Some on the FB page are saying this is normal for the LT4 and GM 6.2 V8s, but it def does not feel normal to me. Anyone with prev GM 6.2 V8s have this issue? They also did not fix my steering wheel alignment issue after saying they re aligned the car.

Last edited:
I am getting a bit frustrated...I had the engine hesitation issue literally as I was leaving the dealership. It happens every time now when the engine is cold .. I have no idea why they could not feel it. Some on the FB page are saying this is normal for the LT4 and GM 6.2 V8s, but it def does not feel normal to me. Anyone with prev GM 6.2 V8s have this issue? They also did not fix my steering wheel alignment issue after saying they re aligned the car.
I’ve had my LT4 for a little over 5 yrs now and I’ve been on Camaro6 for a bit longer than that and I don’t recall any discussions on this issue. We had a hesitation issue which was essentially solved with a ported throttle body.

I’ve had my LT4 for a little over 5 yrs now and I’ve been on Camaro6 for a bit longer than that and I don’t recall any discussions on this issue. We had a hesitation issue which was essentially solved with a ported throttle body.
Thanks I heard about the ported TB on Corvette forum for the C7 Z06...plus V3s had a shudder due to a trans/TC issue but mine is a manual. Looks like @jkg had this issue and the dealer ended up doing something with cam phasers?

Took it out this morning but before leaving the garage I let it idle/warm up for about a min or so...I did not feel the hesitation today. Do you guys typically wait for warm up before driving away? I usually let the idle settle after emissions ramp up which typically takes 30 to 34 seconds. Don't want to sit idling too long though.

Took it out this morning but before leaving the garage I let it idle/warm up for about a min or so...I did not feel the hesitation today. Do you guys typically wait for warm up before driving away? I usually let the idle settle after emissions ramp up which typically takes 30 to 34 seconds. Don't want to sit idling too long though.
RPM stabilized . approx. 650+- , few min.

Drive it right off, unless I need to put something in for navigation, then maybe 20-30 seconds of idle before driving.

Usually about 1 to 2 minutes of idling. But getting out of my neighborhood I need to drive slow for the first mile because the roads are terrible. The engine oil is usually at least 150F before I get out of 1st gear and hit any decent speed or revs.

So an update....dealer kept the car for a week and basically gave me the run around....after saying they initially felt it they claimed since there were no codes and could not recreate it to file a case they could not do anything. They did not fix any of my other stuff as well...buzzing in driver door, oxidation on strut tower brace, rear view mirror vibrating ....very disappointing
You have to learn that the dealers suck

You should always be letting the car warm up.

You should always be letting the car warm up.
yeah but how long....you shouldn't let it idle too long ...I usually let it idle down to idle rpm and then drive off and not get on the gas till it warms up....usually drive off when temp is in the 90s...I drive off after idling for about a minute till RPM drops

Last edited:
yeah but how long....you shouldn't let it idle too long ...I usually let it idle down to idle rpm and then drive off and not get on the gas till it warms up....usually drive off when temp is in the 90s...I drive off after idling for about a minute till Ron drops
Ya there's no reason to do more than that. I only have 6 cylinders to your guy's 8 but once it's come off high idle and things start sparking into life off we go. You get an engine up to temp by driving it, not sitting in the car park.
Keep the revs within reason and no mashing the go-fast pedal until the temp is North of 170 (or whatever your personal go mark is) and you're sorted.

you shouldn't let it idle too long ..
Not sure why you say this?

I haven't had a GM LT4 before, however I had 3 GT500's and would always idle for at least a few minutes so the PCM could communicate to the T/B. After data logging I could tell when temps came up everything started to adjust, A/F, etc., now if I just drove off after say 30 seconds she would not run as smooth.

Not sure why you say this?

I haven't had a GM LT4 before, however I had 3 GT500's and would always idle for at least a few minutes so the PCM could communicate to the T/B. After data logging I could tell when temps came up everything started to adjust, A/F, etc., now if I just drove off after say 30 seconds she would not run as smooth.
I didn't mean for it to come across as a hard and fast rule but in general I don't want to sit and idle in my garage for too long....I guess you can argue about exhaust fumes, fuel and environment etc. Plus engine does not have airflow, not operating at optimum temperature, perhaps fuel residue in exhaust system etc. I know we are only talking a few minutes difference here but my preference is to idle just long enough for rpms to settle. Also modern engines don't need to idle that long. I realize this is a factory tuned engine with almost 700 HP, but coming from the German cars with stressed turbo engines I have had idling issues. 😀. Having said that I am going wait a couple of minutes before driving to see if there is a difference.

I didn't mean for it to come across as a hard and fast rule but in general I don't want to sit and idle in my garage for too long....I guess you can argue about exhaust fumes, fuel and environment etc. Plus engine does not have airflow, not operating at optimum temperature, perhaps fuel residue in exhaust system etc. I know we are only talking a few minutes difference here but my preference is to idle just long enough for rpms to settle. Also modern engines don't need to idle that long. I realize this is a factory tuned engine with almost 700 HP, but coming from the German cars with stressed turbo engines I have had idling issues. 😀. Having said that I am going wait a couple of minutes before driving to see if there is a difference.
Oh I get it, as soon as I start up I get it out of the garage so I’m not smoking up my house then let it sit for a bit in the driveway.

When I finally get my 5BW I plan on running some logs so I can see how things operate which I’m sure are similar to other brands.

My AMG can go after 20 seconds with no issues but that’s a 3 liter T/T

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners