Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Engine Break In - 500 mi or 1500 mi

V56

Seasoned Member
I have read the owners manual like everyone else, it clearly says don't go over 4K RPM for first 1500 miles, but what is confusing is that the RPM gauge changes after 500 miles leading one to believe that its now okay to exercise the full RPM range. What are everyone's experiences with this ? Did you start ripping off 6K RPM pulls after 500 miles or is everyone consistently waiting to 1500 miles ?

thanks for the feedback.

This has been debated more than politics. Break in is 1500 miles. Read the book:

New Vehicle Break-In

Caution Follow these recommended
guidelines during the first
2 414 km (1,500 mi) of driving this
vehicle. Parts have a break-in period
and performance will be better in
the long run.

. Avoid full throttle starts and
abrupt stops.
. Do not exceed 4000 engine rpm.
. Avoid driving at any one
constant speed, fast or slow.
. Do not drive above
129 km/h (80 mph).
. Avoid downshifting to brake or
slow the vehicle when the engine
speed will exceed 4000 rpm.
. Do not let the engine labor.
Never lug the engine in high gear
at low speeds. With a manual
transmission, shift to the next
lower gear. This rule applies at all
times, not just during the
break-in period.
. Do not participate in racing
events, sport driving schools,
or similar activities during this
break-in period.
. Check engine oil with every
refueling and add if necessary.
Oil and fuel consumption may be
higher than normal during the
first 2 414 km (1,500 mi).
. To break in new tires, drive at
moderate speeds and avoid hard
cornering for the first
322 km (200 mi). New tires do
not have maximum traction and
may tend to slip.
. New brake linings also need a
break-in period. Avoid making
hard stops during the first
322 km (200 mi). This is
recommended every time brake
linings are replaced.
. Should the vehicle be used for
racing or competitive driving
(after break-in), the rear axle
lubricant must be replaced
beforehand.

🍿 plan to receive several different replies. I’m at 703 miles on my 5BW and like my 16 Z06, & 17 ZL1, waiting until 1500 miles to really open up. That is just my way regardless of the tach moving up.

That's from the book. You do you. Tear it up, baby it, whatever works for you.

I don't see anything in there about differential other than competitive driving after break in, but I'm not a engineer.

As mentioned, you will get a wide range of opinions on the subject. As far as the engine itself, I’m not convinced there are any significant differences in our engine that make break in duration markedly different than the majority of the other performance engines that don’t/didn’t have such a long recommended break in recommendation (1500 mile).

At 500 miles, I personally would view an oil change as more important than continuing another 1000 miles of ”break in”. (Again, debated at length from the oil change perspective.

The engine doesn’t know how many miles you traveled or idled, which will vary for everyone. The computer knows everything should you abuse the car for warranty purposes.

Example, my car was driven over 400 highway miles when the day I got it with very little braking, so brake linings were technically not broken in according to the manual because I did very little braking and what defines “moderate speed” for tire break in? I varied my engine speed and car speed the entire way, that I know for sure. Was any of it “moderate?” I do know I was driving 70 to 80 mph (sometimes it hit 84 🫢) before 500 miles and nothing broke.
With all this HP on tap, the tires spin on command regardless of miles, 😂

As previously mentioned, drive it the way you want and what makes you comfortable and change your oil or not, up to you.
If day 4 of ownership I didn’t need to (but wanted to) drive it, the engine oil would have been replaced around 500 mile mark. Being replaced this week at 703 miles and any HP car I’ve owned, I always replace the diff oil at 1500 regardless if tracked or not, but that’s just me.

Bottom line is to enjoy the beast you bought as not everyone is lucky to own one, whether a 4 or 5BW 👍

For what it's worth and regardless of what the OM states:

The engine isn't breaking in. The tolerances are fine from the factory and there's nothing "wearing in" in it. Nothing at all. The differential, on the other hand, is another story. That needs time to break in, and 500 miles is the usual call for it. The 1500 miles has typically been the, "Don't take it to the track until..." number.

Now let's explain why:

During the development of the second gen CTS-V (and consequently the C6 ZR1), GM shifted to a different differential build, or something. If you recall the first gen V was complained about heavily given its incessant wheel hop during hard accelerations. GM HPVO fixed that by redoing the diff and half-shafts (I think? It's been... a while). Result: no more wheel hop. But they were VERY specific with the vehicle break-in: take care of that diff or you're going to pay for it later. Literally. Those that didn't pay attention found a very loud and annoying HOOOWWWWWWWLLLLLL while driving down the highway at low RPMs and high gear. And that was due to not breaking the diff in properly.

As it turns out, several Corvette owners started noticing the same thing, and in every case they'd failed to follow the 500 mile diff break-in.

If the IP is changing after 500 miles, it means GM is confident you can have fun after 500 miles. But, if you want to wait longer, by all means do so. You certainly won't hurt anything.

I waited.

Attachments

• 20221126_153509.jpg
    20221126_153509.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 348
I guess you must really have some issues with drivers on the Auto Bahn ? I know when and where I can get away with it. Like along an empty beach road that is 20 miles straight and not a car in sight. So reserve your judgement for the idiots on the Jersey Turnpike that do 120+ with hundreds of cars around them. I've seen it.

I guess you must really have some issues with drivers on the Auto Bahn ?

All generalizations are false, but generally the folks piloting the autobahns are of a significantly higher caliber of driver than those of us here in the states. That includes the folks going slower. They get the whole lane discipline thing much better as well as reading road conditions (weather, traffic, et al).

I know when and where I can get away with it. Like along an empty beach road that is 20 miles straight and not a car in sight.

One of the points he made that you conveniently ignored was,

while taking a photo.

Yeah. Don't do that. I agree with him. Stay in NYS please.

All generalizations are false, but generally the folks piloting the autobahns are of a significantly higher caliber of driver than those of us here in the states. That includes the folks going slower. They get the whole lane discipline thing much better as well as reading road conditions (weather, traffic, et al).

One of the points he made that you conveniently ignored was,

Yeah. Don't do that. I agree with him. Stay in NYS please.
What are you talking about sir?^^^^ I'm confused. ;)

I guess you must really have some issues with drivers on the Auto Bahn ? I know when and where I can get away with it. Like along an empty beach road that is 20 miles straight and not a car in sight. So reserve your judgement for the idiots on the Jersey Turnpike that do 120+ with hundreds of cars around them. I've seen it.
So because there are other dip shits that means it's ok to be a dip shit? Fuck off with your 143 mph selfie. That is some dumb ass shit right there, no matter what road you are on.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back