Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Did you pay over MSRP

Did you pay over MSRP?

• 5BW Manual, Yes

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • 5BW Manual, No

Votes: 33 30.0%
  • 5BW Automatic, Yes

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • 5BW Automatic, No

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • 4BW Manual, Yes

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 4BW Manual, No

Votes: 36 32.7%
  • 4BW Automatic, Yes

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 4BW Automatic, No

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters
My '23 is MSRP but honestly if anyone was willing to pay under 10k ADM for a '22 5BW that was available immediately then I wouldn't be mad considering '23s went up almost 10k.

You'd have to wait to pay the same money for a '23 or a pay a little less and get a '22 now which isn't a hard decision honestly depending on the ADM.

I'd certainly pay up to 5k over to get a '22 immediately if there was one available rather then pay 10k more for a 20 month wait.

So I can understand paying an ADM for a '22.

I got pretty lucky. Ordered 5BW manual at MRSP in mid Dec 2021. Order accepted 1 month later in mid Jan 2022. Car built Feb 2022. Car delivered mid April 2022 at MSRP no add ons.

Since added CF spoiler and have the CF splitter and side deflectors (didn't put those on yet, worried I'd scrape it off).

Hate to say it as it hurts but 10k. Forgive me I was getting desperate. Other dealer I was waiting on was at 5k but no allocations and it had been months. Mine is a 5 with MT. I spoke to dealers across country high was 30 over most were 20 over didn't matter stick or auto😣
Same thing with me. Was however lucky
Enough to get it all back when I traded it in 5 months later for a 911.

Before I picked-up my vehicle, I Googled my VIN out of curiosity. It popped up on my dealer's website as an available vehicle but "Reserved" with a $20k "market adjustment" attached to it. I immediately contacted my sales person wanting to know what was up with the "market adjustment." He said it didn't apply to me. He explained that GM automatically puts the vehicle on their website as soon as it's marked for delivery. GM allows them to put whatever price they want on it above/below MSRP. They add the market adjustment to prevent people from calling to inquire about the vehicle because if they let it be known the vehicle was selling at MRSP, the phone would probably not stop ringing. (I'm guessing some shady dealers might just sell the vehicle to someone else if they got someone who contacted them who was willing to pay the market adjustment.) So, probably the $20k-$15k over MSRP people are seeing on Reserved vehicles is just for that reason.

Before I picked-up my vehicle, I Googled my VIN out of curiosity. It popped up on my dealer's website as an available vehicle but "Reserved" with a $20k "market adjustment" attached to it. I immediately contacted my sales person wanting to know what was up with the "market adjustment." He said it didn't apply to me. He explained that GM automatically puts the vehicle on their website as soon as it's marked for delivery. GM allows them to put whatever price they want on it above/below MSRP. They add the market adjustment to prevent people from calling to inquire about the vehicle because if they let it be known the vehicle was selling at MRSP, the phone would probably not stop ringing. (I'm guessing some shady dealers might just sell the vehicle to someone else if they got someone who contacted them who was willing to pay the market adjustment.) So, probably the $20k-$15k over MSRP people are seeing on Reserved vehicles is just for that reason.

He totally lied to you. Dealers can remove any car from being listed for dealer inventory once it's automatically listed. If they didn't want calls about that car they would just unlist it. That's what my dealer did.

They left it listed and at 20k over to see if they could sell it out from under you at 20k over to someone else. You caught them in their treachery and put a stop to it. Or they were trying to test the waters for what they could get over MSRP.

But saying they had to list it over MSRP to stop calls is an outright lie from the dealer.

Bought my 4BW May 2022. Dealer tried to make me pay $5K markup right before signing paperwork after we negotiated in email that MSRP would be price. I told them I'll walk out on the deal. She called me an hour later and said "ok we'll do MSRP as we agreed". I was absolutely ready to walk out too. I don't "Need" a new car that bad to pay over sticker.

I was in the first 200 so it was at Msrp.

I was in the first 200 so it was at Msrp.
I was in the first 200 and had to change dealerships to ensure MSRP. Some dealerships don’t recognize the gift that handing them an MSRP deal on a car that they didn’t even have to earn an allocation for is. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I was in the first 200 and had to change dealerships to ensure MSRP. Some dealerships don’t recognize the gift that handing them an MSRP deal on a car that they didn’t even have to earn an allocation for is. 🤷🏻‍♂️
So maybe I said that wrong, I got a reservation on the release day. Maybe that changed it as it was a reservation through Cadillac and I selected the dealership.

So maybe I said that wrong, I got a reservation on the release day. Maybe that changed it as it was a reservation through Cadillac and I selected the dealership.
No, you got it exactly right but, you must have chosen a righteous dealership where I obviously didn’t. Ultimately, they lost a Blackwing sale that I tried to gift them with that they didn’t earn and I still got it at MSRP.

No, you got it exactly right but, you must have chosen a righteous dealership where I obviously didn’t. Ultimately, they lost a Blackwing sale that I tried to gift them with that they didn’t earn and I still got it at MSRP.
That’s really bad. Which dealership?

Ordered my '23 4BW in October. Dealer was amicable to putting 10% down to lock the vehicle in at MSRP. They kept their word through delivery in January. They have since added a small ADM but they honored the initial agreement for MSRP.

From what I gathered talking with the sales manager, the more base V's sold usually led to more BW allocations to that dealership, then faster BW sales led to even more BW allocations. They got a full truck load to themselves last month so they must be doing something right.

At my most recent count, my local dealer has 14 CT4 BWs on the ground or in transit. They’re all marked up $5k. While I’m sure they won’t sell all of them at that price, they might be able to move a few if they listed them at MSRP. Stupid.

They’ve even marked up their non-BW 4 Vs $2500. Comical.

Many dealers are marking up non-BW V's because they are a little hard to find, especially since GM cut production on non BW V's

I did pay $5k over on my wife’s Denali though. I’d rather pay that on a BW than a Denali.

There's some negotiation because I had no prior history with GM and I had to convince them why they should sell the car at MSRP, along with providing rebuttals to all their excuses. Luck also plays a huge part. The dealership kept their sales count in the show room so everyone can see how many cars they've sold in the month. By June 11th, they had only sold 3 cars so there was pressure on them to make a deal. Also, in the bay area, people would rather buy Tesla's and BMW's so the demand wasn't as high. In the end they told me if I could come in that day, I could have it at MSRP.
This is well-written, JonnyL!
Agreed it's kind of a 3-part dance:
  • Stating you are there for MSRP only. Being calm when on many events 'they' signal back they are not going to do MSRP.
  • Adding in some 'market facts'...great observations for you to remind them about what brands were 'the hot sellers' in your area.
  • Sprinkle-O-Luck.
...and on my own 'scorecard', I haven't played a 'perfect game'. I was an over MSRP guy in 2022 to take a car I really wanted off-the-lot.

MSRP
Place an order in august 21 took delivery feb of 22, dealer held to his word. The crazy part of paying adm for a car like this I can kinda relate to but what people are paying in adm now for a new type r or even gr Corolla is just madness.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back