Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Dealer F up. What would you do?

Here’s just two of the wheels. They are dirty as it’s been snowing here in IL. Didn’t feel like starting the car and moving it to get the wheels to rotate to get more pics
Ugh... This is a tough call, it most likely happened on the initial entry to separate the tire from the rim. If the tech did this to your car, he's probably been doing it this way all along but no one cared to call them out. (Worn tools or incorrect technique, both.).

Frustrating as it may be, I don't know if you'll get new wheels out of this, but I think you could opt to get your money back on those tires.

I can't see them in person to see how obvious these gouges stand out but you could probably have them cleaned up, polished and have a paint shop custom mix paint to touch them up. It will be an ongoing thing every time you swap tires but at least you'd have a quart of paint to touch up when this happens again. You could ceramic coat the wheels to help.

If you decide to powdercoat the whole wheel, it typically adds 20% more weight per wheel. Might as well go with a custom color at that point.

I've had two rear tires replaced on my 4BW already and the tech did not put a mark on either wheel..... I'm lucky that my dealer (Sewell Dallas) only has ONE guy working on all the Blackwings and he is very experienced and has never let me down... Sewell also has a policy that only managers/BW tech drives the Blackwings..... The last time my car was in for service the tech pulled it around for me, most of the time my cars are already parked up front in the service area and ready for me to just get in and go.... Sewell Dallas rocks! Oh, and they NEVER delete the PDR memory.

Anyway, back on topic!
cat train GIF

Here’s just two of the wheels. They are dirty as it’s been snowing here in IL. Didn’t feel like starting the car and moving it to get the wheels to rotate to get more pics

I had a dealer screw up one of my wheels like that on my Camaro. They sent it out to be fixed and it was fine but I only owned it a year after they were repaired so I am not sure how long the repair would last. It is the same repair you get if you were to curb rash one of your wheels.

That said, that was the last time I let a dealer change my tires. You will have better luck at a Costco where they use the Hunter machines that greatly reduce the chance of damage. In fact, I now buy my tires from TireRack and have a Mobile installer come to the house and use a Hunter machine and RoadForce balance and change them in the driveway. Only costs a little more.

You can see lower profile tires take some proper training to change tires properly without scratching up the wheels.

I've had two rear tires replaced on my 4BW already and the tech did not put a mark on either wheel..... I'm lucky that my dealer (Sewell Dallas) only has ONE guy working on all the Blackwings and he is very experienced and has never let me down... Sewell also has a policy that only managers/BW tech drives the Blackwings..... The last time my car was in for service the tech pulled it around for me, most of the time my cars are already parked up front in the service area and ready for me to just get in and go.... Sewell Dallas rocks! Oh, and they NEVER delete the PDR memory.

Anyway, back on topic!
cat train GIF
They don’t have a policy. I just tell them that the porters don’t touch the car. Only 1 of the service writers will pull it in and the tech drives it back up.

I’ve had discount tire locations do a better job of mounting tires on wheels without damage. I don’t get how the hell they can do this after years of mounting tires. It’s super frustrating

I'd just file an insurance claim. Just like someone hit your car and you are not at fault.

My neighbor scratched two of his carbon fiber wheels on his GT350R on a curb and filed a claim. He got two new wheels. This was his fault so his policy went up, but should not be the case for you.

"Im filing a claim with my insurance company on Tuesday if you are not buying new wheels". Thats the end of my communications.

I dont have time for this Bullsh*t.

I'd just file an insurance claim. Just like someone hit your car and you are not at fault.

My neighbor scratched two of his carbon fiber wheels on his GT350R on a curb and filed a claim. He got two new wheels. This was his fault so his policy went up, but should not be the case for you.

"Im filing a claim with my insurance company on Tuesday if you are not buying new wheels". Thats the end of my communications.

I dont have time for this Bullsh*t.
You mean file a claim w my insurance against the dealership?

Powder coating is a more durable finish, so you will be fine. But I would find my own place and have the dealer pay to get the wheels done at my place of choosing.

Ugh... This is a tough call, it most likely happened on the initial entry to separate the tire from the rim. If the tech did this to your car, he's probably been doing it this way all along but no one cared to call them out. (Worn tools or incorrect technique, both.).

Frustrating as it may be, I don't know if you'll get new wheels out of this, but I think you could opt to get your money back on those tires.

I can't see them in person to see how obvious these gouges stand out but you could probably have them cleaned up, polished and have a paint shop custom mix paint to touch them up. It will be an ongoing thing every time you swap tires but at least you'd have a quart of paint to touch up when this happens again. You could ceramic coat the wheels to help.

If you decide to powdercoat the whole wheel, it typically adds 20% more weight per wheel. Might as well go with a custom color at that point.
Don't accept anything other than New Wheels, if you have to call the owner of the dealership then go that route to hold them accountable. My Mercedes dealer did the same thing to my c63AMG a few years back and I made them put on new wheels.

I think there have been a lot of good options listed here... but my original thought is again my current thought... especially if this is at your dealer where you just dropped $$$ for your car and you just showed them that you intend to use them for service too (which is even more lucrative for them).

TLDR (I'm warning you 😉):
You came in with pristine brand new wheels... and you expect to leave with pristine brand new wheels.

Read on if you dare:
No need to scream, yell, rant, bash them on social media (at least yet).

Have a private, sensible, quiet, calm conversation with service manager and let them know that this has been constantly on your mind and here are your thoughts:

-ask them to honestly put themselves in your position where you just:
- bought an expensive car from them
- you've just demonstrated your intention to use them for ongoing service even for the most basic tasks and want to continue that relationship
-ask them if they brought anything (not just talking automotive) brand spanking new to a professional authorized/certified dealer/servicer for a minor/basic/routine (dare I say simple) service and it was returned with multiple/repeated points of damage that wouldn't it be more than fair/completely reasonable/expected to just own up to it, apologize, and let you know that they intend to just replace it with the same new product(s) that are in the same condition (brand spanking new & pristine) as when it was presented to them?

...and if that does not work keep escalating a level.

Now on the other hand, it does just look like curb rash (pictures may be misleading) ... which I've been guilty of inflicting on my own wheels more than once and when I've had them refinished they've looked perfect at times or at least pretty darn close (enough where I was plenty OK with it).

So you can be the good guy and let them know that this time you'll be the good guy and settle for them to re-finish them (or them to reimburse where you want them fixed up) to your satisfaction (including warranty/guarantee in line with OEM)... but that moving forward you expect yadda yadda or you also want complimentary blah blah or even for them to just take extra care with your car (possibly assigning a dedicated service advisor/ tech) or at least remember how reasonable you were in case of any future situations.

Whatever makes you comfortable with your decision and let's you sleep at night without regretting how you handled it is your right choice.

Holy crap, I was not intending on having this post run on like that. I've heard of verbal diarrhea..I guess this is typed 💩💩? Sorry

Last edited:
You mean file a claim w my insurance against the dealership?
yes.

That is what insurance is for, they damaged your car, file a claim. I personally don't want to waste the time back and forth "negotiating" with them on some half ass repair.

My guess is that they do not want the claim against them, so i'd make it simple. "Replace the wheels or i'm going to file a claim".

I bet it is going to take a while to obtain the wheels.

I think there have been a lot of good options listed here... but my original thought is again my current thought... especially if this is at your dealer where you just dropped $$$ for your car and you just showed them that you intend to use them for service too (which is even more lucrative for them).

TLDR (I'm warning you 😉):
You came in with pristine brand new wheels... and you expect to leave with pristine brand new wheels.

Read on if you dare:
No need to scream, yell, rant, bash them on social media (at least yet).

Have a private, sensible, quiet, calm conversation with service manager and let them know that this has been constantly on your mind and here are your thoughts:

-ask them to honestly put themselves in your position where you just:
- bought an expensive car from them
- you've just demonstrated your intention to use them for ongoing service even for the most basic tasks and want to continue that relationship
-ask them if they brought anything (not just talking automotive) brand spanking new to a professional authorized/certified dealer/servicer for a minor/basic/routine (dare I say simple) service and it was returned with multiple/repeated points of damage that wouldn't it be more than fair/completely reasonable/expected to just own up to it, apologize, and let you know that they intend to just replace it with the same new product(s) that are in the same condition (brand spanking new & pristine) as when it was presented to them?

...and if that does not work keep escalating a level.

Now on the other hand, it does just look like curb rash (pictures may be misleading) ... which I've been guilty of inflicting on my own wheels more than once and when I've had them refinished they've looked perfect at times or at least pretty darn close (enough where I was plenty OK with it).

So you can be the good guy and let them know that this time you'll be the good guy and settle for them to re-finish them (or them to reimburse where you want them fixed up) to your satisfaction (including warranty/guarantee in line with OEM)... but that moving forward you expect yadda yadda or you also want complimentary blah blah or even for them to just take extra care with your car (possibly assigning a dedicated service advisor/ tech) or at least remember how reasonable you were in case of any future situations.

Whatever makes you comfortable with your decision and let's you sleep at night without regretting how you handled it is your right choice.

Holy crap, I was not intending on having this post run on like that. I've heard of verbal diarrhea..I guess this is typed 💩💩? Sorry
Well said lol. Yea man I made them look at all 4 wheels beforehand.

yes.

That is what insurance is for, they damaged your car, file a claim. I personally don't want to waste the time back and forth "negotiating" with them on some half ass repair.

My guess is that they do not want the claim against them, so i'd make it simple. "Replace the wheels or i'm going to file a claim".

I bet it is going to take a while to obtain the wheels.
Didn’t know that was an option so thank you.

Is this the same dealer that lifted your car wrong and damaged the rocker?

My $.02 here, new car with new wheels = the same when job is done.

Ask for new ones and let the dealer figure the rest out or escalated to upper management.

Good luck

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners