Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Rock Hit, Undercarriage Damage, What Would you Do?

Dont waste your money on the gorilla shit. At least for a Wrangler it will not hold up like you think. I've replaced the windshield twice in the last year in my JLUR. Both times I held out til the spider effect.. Visit the JL forums and you will see the GG isn't worth it.
I saw on the JL forums it was avail. I hadn’t seen anyone talk about getting it yet.

This is our 3rd Wrangler. They all have gotten pummeled. I think it’s just the nature of the beast with a flat windshield.

I put more $$$$ in my jeep than any other vehicle I've owned before....
I bought my Jeep new in 2014, and within several years had put more money into it than I paid for it. It’s very easy to do since there is an endless amount of aftermarket parts, more so than any other vehicle. The sky’s the limit and it’s possible to put $100K into it if you want.

I have about $10K into my 5BW not counting this rock hit debacle. I think so far I’m in the lead for rock damage. Maybe I should’ve PPF the undercarriage?

I bought my Jeep new in 2014, and within several years had put more money into it than I paid for it. It’s very easy to do since there is an endless amount of aftermarket parts, more so than any other vehicle. The sky’s the limit and it’s possible to put $100K into it if you want.

I have about $10K into my 5BW not counting this rock hit debacle. I think so far I’m in the lead for rock damage. Maybe I should’ve PPF the undercarriage?
I understand, everything on my jeep from the frame down was aftermarket....

I added a pic of my son driving the "Blue Mule" at the trail... He loved driving 3 and 4 level trails...

Attachments

• IMG_4520.JPG
    IMG_4520.JPG
    515.2 KB · Views: 62
  • jakebluemule1_zpsc810c546.jpg
    jakebluemule1_zpsc810c546.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I called my insurance company today and they told me there is no way to report anything without filing a claim which they said I should do within 45 days if I plan to. Told them that I needed to have an inspection done then will decide what I plan to do.

What about just pricing out replacement braces/crossmember? and seeing how much a shop would charge to swap them out. Any maybe if an aftermarket catback comes out, you could get that or find someone selling their nice oem takeoff.
I called a highly rated local shop and was told that they won't touch my car. Main reason has to do with the warranty and second reason was that he did not think GM dealers would sell them these parts for the Blackwing.

I managed to get 2 cracks in my wife's F-Pace windshield on a recent weekend trip to Dallas. Of course it's the heated windshield with a built-in heating element. I think it's gonna be about $2k to replace. Glad my glass deductible is only $250.

Why my dealer ordered a Texas car with a heated windshield is beyond me (I mean, I know it's just to bring the MSRP up but come on).

Personally, since its the transmission crossmember, I wouldnt worry about it. If it was the engine cross member, then I might worry more about that.
Also depending on your deductible, its probably cheaper to fix it yourself. That transmission mount might even be the same as the ZL1, get a replacement, jack the car up, put a jack on the trans, pop the bolts off and swap the crossmember. I dont see that taking more than 45 mins, itll take you longer to jack up the car.

So I was able to have the dealer look at my car today. The three metal parts are not very expensive and labor is minimal making it not a good use of my time to DIY. The exhaust on the other hand is a big deal to fix. Total dealer estimate is $5800.

I definitely fixing the non-exhaust parts. I think it’s not necessary to fix the exhaust, it just looks like shit. In 40+ years of driving I’ve never had something like this happen. I do have so-called accident forgiveness, but haven’t decided if I want to bring the car back to pristine condition. The car is so new and I really wanted to stretch out the new car feeling at least past the time I get all my CF bits installed. I’m sure if I already had a bunch of minor dents I wouldn’t worry about it. -If the car was maybe 3 years old and more beat up I wouldn’t give it a second thought.

I’m going to call my insurance company and get more details on the accident forgiveness policy.

My OCD appreciates yours, so I will refrain from dwelling on the advice that the pipe dents will have zero impact on the car. I have a some hard to source motorcycle parts (tanks, pipes) that my local PDR guy has removed dents for me. Not sure if its practical/accessible on that section, but its a thought. Maybe a good shop can weld some nice patches and you can reframe it as "armor" for future impacts? I'd keep insurance out of the equation.

It’s definitely an OCD issue with the exhaust that I need to lay aside. I think the logical approach is to leave the exhaust alone and fix the other stuff, and don’t file an insurance claim.

It’s definitely an OCD issue with the exhaust that I need to lay aside. I think the logical approach is to leave the exhaust alone and fix the other stuff, and don’t file an insurance claim.
Definitely would do the same as I believe you said previously costs were not bad for those items and unless you are under the car a lot, you soon would forget about the exhaust with enjoyment/excitement of driving it IMO.

I would think this should go under comprehensive, not collision, so your accident forgiveness shouldn't come into play. Also, under comp, your rates "shouldn't" be effected....or so he says

I would think this should go under comprehensive, not collision, so your accident forgiveness shouldn't come into play. Also, under comp, your rates "shouldn't" be effected....or so he says
I can call them and ask about that. From my Google research, objects that are not moving on the road are considered “avoidable” and hence fall under collision. Now if a rock was moving then it is for sure comprehensive.

EDIT: Talked with insurance company and it is 100% collision for road debris.

Last edited:
Oh man, that sucks. So any road debris is collision? Even if a truck blows a tire in front of you and you hit the gator while it flies off the truck? Or the idiot who doesn't secure his load? I'm really surprised, or maybe not. Dang insurance companies.

Oh man, that sucks. So any road debris is collision? Even if a truck blows a tire in front of you and you hit the gator while it flies off the truck? Or the idiot who doesn't secure his load? I'm really surprised, or maybe not. Dang insurance companies.
If it’s flying through the air when the impact occurs then it’s comprehensive. If you can get the license plate of the vehicle that generates the debris and file a Police report that’s ideal but not absolutely necessary. If it’s just a mattress or ladder (apparently those are the two most common forms of road debris falling from vehicles) laying in the road and there’s an impact that’s collision (again unless you can get a license plate number).

Again, me personally, I'd buy the cross member and replace it myself. Then replace the exhaust with a Kooks catback when they decide to finally release it. Or have a muffler shop replace the dented up sections, probably still cheaper than replacing the whole exhaust with a new OEM one.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back