Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Blackwing 6-sp (2022) surging during normal driving

cookfr

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5V Blackwing (86-618)
Has anyone experienced their car surging while normal daily around town driving? Seems to occur around 2000-2500 RPM. It gets so bad that I have to either push the clutch in or accelerate pretty aggressively to make it stop. I notice it mostly after driving 2 or 3 miles from a cold start in the morning. This has occurred the last 3 times I drove it. Temps in the upper 40s. I'm going to schedule a service appointment in the morning. Just looking to see if anyone has experienced the same issue.

I've got the problem. Really need to get it in to a dealer, but it's easy enough to ignore :/

I think I read somewhere in another engine issue thread about LT4 oil pressure.

It should be around 35 to 38 psi at idle, if it drops lower then that's a real bad sign.

Post in thread '288 Miles and an engine failure' 288 Miles and an engine failure

Check out this thread as well: CT5-V - engine surge / "porpoising"

The root cause seemed to be inconclusive. I only get this behavior when driving on one specific moderately bumpy mild downhill road in 2nd gear around the same 2000RPM rev range. This is normally on the way home from a spirited drive so I don't think it's a "getting up to temp" issue. I've gotten used to pushing the clutch in there until I get to the bottom of that hill. Don't notice it anywhere else.

I didn't even bother bringing it up with my SA on my last visit because it's going to be nearly impossible to reproduce and it doesn't seem like anyone has a fix yet....

Yes, I have this issue periodically as well. Same rpms, light throttle. Mine usually happens on flat surfaces... But around here, that's basically all it is.

Yeah I have the same issue documented in one of the threads above. Took it to the dealer, they kept it for a week and returned the car to me saying they could not reproduce the issue. I have 3800 miles now and I let the car warm up a little bit more before driving. The issue is not happening as much any more but still happens once in a while.....not as obvious though. It is at least on the books with the dealer in case something happens.

Yeah, I'm a little skeptical of it. The symptoms sound right, but the dates are weird. The TSB was issued in April 2022 and revised in July 2022. Which makes me think that only the earliest builds would be impacted. Unless they released the TSB but kept building with the wrong part? I don't know how these things work

My car was an early build (86-190) but still, the engine should have been built before the TSB?

Checking in with a similar issue for me as well. Granted, I have an automatic. I started writing down every time i did it. Temp outside, engine temp, speed, etc. Used to be only when it was cold out. Its doing it every time i drive now. Doesnt really kick in until about 5 minutes into every drive and then continues happening throughout the drive every time i leave a light.

Happens between 5th to 7th, around 2,000 RPM and driving no faster than 40mph. Not embarrassing at all...

Its currently at the dealership waiting on further review, etc. I may tell them about this bulletin - albeit, i dont feel like I need to. But i will.

Last edited:
I can fairly consistently reproduce this issue now. On my ride home, I turn left onto a street at a certain speed, and settle into around 2k rpms in 3rd or 4th and the issue occurs. The last handful of times where traffic allowed this pattern, it happened.

I can fairly consistently reproduce this issue now. On my ride home, I turn left onto a street at a certain speed, and settle into around 2k rpms in 3rd or 4th and the issue occurs. The last handful of times where traffic allowed this pattern, it happened.
it's happening one out of 4 times for me....same situation you are describing...I do let the car warm up for a bit before driving. My initial visit to the dealer they had the car for a week and claimed they could not reproduce the issue. I am going to take that tsb with me this time. Curious any 2023s experiencing this?

Last edited:
My car has been at Sewell for three weeks. They have a message into General Motors about the issue. Said the car is doing “funky things” on the computer including oil, fuel, and various other issues. They think it’s bad sensors. But they “haven’t seen the issue before.” So they’re waiting on GM direction before moving forward.

I sent them the service bulletin for informational purposes but they don’t think that’s the issue here.

Luckily they’ve got me in a loaner (which is also a wave blue base ct5 - makes it easy to find in parking lots).

I miss my car. But I told them I don’t want it back until it’s fixed.

My engine issue is not happening on a regular basis so the dealer is not doing anything even after showing them the TSB. I am curious if anyone has had this issue fixed under the TSB and the symptoms went away?

For those of you out there who have this surging problem, and aren't having success working through a dealership, I believe I can resolve this for you via remote tuning. We would need for you to purchase HP Tuners ($400), then we can set you up to do a data scan and capture the issue. Once we have it captured, I will see if I can figure out the cause and a potential solution for you. :)

I heard of a similar issue on the C7 LT4 being resolved by an aftermarket throttle body and/or tune. The TSB made it sound like a cam timing issue and a sensor being replaced but the problem needs to be reproduced for that. Thanks for the offer, I figured this could be done by a tuner once the Global B ECU was cracked, but wouldn't this void the warranty?

I guess my point is that if you have a car that you love, and your warranty isn't getting the issue resolved, why not let me give it a try?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back