Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

ct4 v blackwing rear wing

TRTL PWR

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4 V Blackwing
question regarding the rear wing on the 4: is it held on with double sided tape only? if I had a ppf installer take it off then re-install it should I worry about the stability of it in future? I will be tracking the car at COTA often. thanks for any insights/opinions.

I have the 5 not the 4 but given the quoted amount of downforce the 4 makes, I'm 100% certain it's bolted on. Come to think if it, what OEM sends out an actual performance car with a taped on spoiler?? I'm guessing that's more cheap aftermarket crowd stuff only I hope?

I have the 5 not the 4 but given the quoted amount of downforce the 4 makes, I'm 100% certain it's bolted on. Come to think if it, what OEM sends out an actual performance car with a taped on spoiler?? I'm guessing that's more cheap aftermarket crowd stuff only I hope?
I hope too 😳

I can confirm it is both bolted and held on with VERY sticky tape.

I can also confirm that it has two additional mounting holes that the regular CT4-V spoiler does not have, and that if you try and take the BW one off to replace it with the more demure version from the V, it will not cover the holes.

Don't do like I did:

I can confirm it is both bolted and held on with VERY sticky tape.

I can also confirm that it has two additional mounting holes that the regular CT4-V spoiler does not have, and that if you try and take the BW one off to replace it with the more demure version from the V, it will not cover the holes.
My PPF installer confirmed this as well.

There's pictures of it being removed in the thread I linked to above.

Also, it was a huge PITA to get it off.

0/10. Would not recommend.

thanks for sharing this and the pics. very helpful! it will look great color matched
Don't do like I did:

Wait.

So you took off the black BW spoiler and you're going to get it paint matched and then PPF'd?

Unless you're getting it painted, taking off the spoiler is a bad idea. The tape that's on the spoiler also serves as a gasket to keep water out of the holes. (Look at how it surrounds each bolt hole in the pictures from my previous thread.) I would absolutely NOT remove the spoiler unless you're getting it painted or replacing it with something else.

Removing it just to do PPF is a terrible idea and your installer doesn't know what they're doing.

Wait.

So you took off the black BW spoiler and you're going to get it paint matched and then PPF'd?

Unless you're getting it painted, taking off the spoiler is a bad idea. The tape that's on the spoiler also serves as a gasket to keep water out of the holes. (Look at how it surrounds each bolt hole in the pictures from my previous thread.) I would absolutely NOT remove the spoiler unless you're getting it painted or replacing it with something else.

Removing it just to do PPF is a terrible idea and your installer doesn't know what they're doing.
No paint match, it’s carbon fiber. I don’t think that you understand how a good PPF installer works. I posted quite a few pics of my car in various states of disassembly while it was getting PPF installed.

Fair enough, I'm not an expert PPF installer. I'll give you that.

But I am a decently accomplished engineer that has personally removed the spoiler on a CT4-V Blackwing with my own two hands. I can quite certainly say that the adhesive tape that is on the BW spoiler also functions as a watertight gasket to keep water from intruding through the spoiler bolt holes into the trunk cavity.

Unless your installer took care to completely remove the old tape (something that took me several painstaking hours to do with a hair dryer and Goo Gone) and cut an entirely new, seamless adhesive tape piece, they didn't match the GM Design Engineer's intent. (Another step which, again, took me several painstaking hours to recreate.)

Maybe you'll get water in your trunk, maybe you won't, but for anyone that hasn't removed their spoiler yet, it is most certainly not a necessity to remove it to have PPF installed (which I also had done) and you only add unnecessary risk to a perfectly functional apparatus by doing so.

But I am a decently accomplished engineer that has personally removed the spoiler on a CT4-V Blackwing with my own two hands. I can quite certainly say that the adhesive tape that is on the BW spoiler also functions as a watertight gasket to keep water from intruding through the spoiler bolt holes into the trunk cavity.

Unless your installer took care to completely remove the old tape (something that took me several painstaking hours to do with a hair dryer and Goo Gone) and cut an entirely new, seamless adhesive tape piece, they didn't match the GM Design Engineer's intent. (Another step which, again, took me several painstaking hours to recreate.)

Maybe you'll get water in your trunk, maybe you won't, but for anyone that hasn't removed their spoiler yet, it is most certainly not a necessity to remove it to have PPF installed (which I also had done) and you only add unnecessary risk to a perfectly functional apparatus by doing so.
I mean no disrespect but my spoiler was removed for PPF and I have no leaking at all... My installer knows what he is doing as he has done it many many time and every kind of car under the sun...... To make it look right and to do it properly the spoiler must be removed to cover the trunk lid completely and to have enough room to work on the spoiler itself.....Just my opinion, and you know what people say about that...

They do this type of thing on a daily basis.

Yeah, the scary part of PPF is all the disassembly of a brand new car.
The "better" the installer, the more they want to disassemble....

My guess is the PPF Guy used a bit of sealer (around mounting holes) to assure no water ingress, along with new cut- to-length Double-Side-Tape. (But who knows how well he cleaned old adhesive-residue?)

For those willing to plan ahead, a new Adhesive Strip/Gasket could be bought (for the Spoiler), to replace the one damaged, by removal.

Although, the Trunk & Spoiler are perhaps the only parts of car that don't need PPF.

I disagree! I've had birds take a huge dump on my car and it marred the paint before I could wash it off, even with a good ceramic coating...
Agreed, it happened to my ATS-V's trunk lid. I was never able to get it out, detailer tried buffing it out and it didn't work either.

I disagree! I've had birds take a huge dump on my car and it marred the paint before I could wash it off, even with a good ceramic coating...

Agreed, it happened to my ATS-V's trunk lid. I was never able to get it out, detailer tried buffing it out and it didn't work either.

LOL, OK not for Rock Chips then.
If one did every other panel, I guess they'd want the trunk too.
I'd be reluctant to pull the Trunk Emblems & Spoiler though.
Still deciding how much (if any) to do on mine....

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back