Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V Blackwing License Plate Mounting Area Damage

fleezy

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Hello everyone. My CT4-V Blackwing arrived last month. Before picking the car up, the car was ceramic coated by a reputable detailer who also was recommended by the dealer. When I picked up the car, I had a temporary plate.

When my plate finally arrived, I went to install the plate and upon removing the dealer license frame, I noticed that the frame wasn't mounted securely and there were lines in the tail panel that matched the outline of the frame. I can only surmise that the frame was rubbing against the tail panel. In addition, I noticed that the screw holes appear to only be drilled into the tail panel with no finishing, and no grommets present. Finally, there is one black strip of foam tape on the panel that I assume is meant to keep the plate from rubbing against the tail panel. For some reason, a piece of the foam tape was ripped so it has to be replaced. That being said, the tape only fits against the bottom of the plate, so I am going to have to either put more foam tape behind the plate, or get a silicone license plate frame.

As soon as I noticed the lines, I took pictures and contacted the dealership. I then went to the dealership and we agreed that I needed to go to the detailer first to see if only the ceramic coating was damaged. My detail guy tried to buff the lines out and reapply ceramic coating but the lines are into the clearcoat so that is going to be an interesting discussion with the dealership.

My questions are:
1. Did your car have license plate grommets or were there merely two holes drilled into the tail panel?
2. Was there only one strip of foam tape on your car?
3. What type of license plate frame do people recommend (material, brand, etc.) ?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!

The Sewell difference. I put my plates on today and looky here. Thanks Dustin (y)

As I have told most you guys, I try to treat every car like it was my own. Just drilling holes in the bumper really annoyed me…. It’s the only vehicle we have that requires the holes to be drilled out. I just ordered a boatload of them and have my PDI guy, install them on each of the Blackwings.

Without them, it only takes removing the plate a few times before it’s stripped out. That’s unacceptable.

With that said, I never thought anyone would even notice, let alone post about it :)

Bumping this up. Can anyone recommend a specific bracket / sub-plate to mount the rear license plate? Not the license plate frame.

Hello everyone. My CT4-V Blackwing arrived last month. Before picking the car up, the car was ceramic coated by a reputable detailer who also was recommended by the dealer. When I picked up the car, I had a temporary plate.

When my plate finally arrived, I went to install the plate and upon removing the dealer license frame, I noticed that the frame wasn't mounted securely and there were lines in the tail panel that matched the outline of the frame. I can only surmise that the frame was rubbing against the tail panel. In addition, I noticed that the screw holes appear to only be drilled into the tail panel with no finishing, and no grommets present. Finally, there is one black strip of foam tape on the panel that I assume is meant to keep the plate from rubbing against the tail panel. For some reason, a piece of the foam tape was ripped so it has to be replaced. That being said, the tape only fits against the bottom of the plate, so I am going to have to either put more foam tape behind the plate, or get a silicone license plate frame.

As soon as I noticed the lines, I took pictures and contacted the dealership. I then went to the dealership and we agreed that I needed to go to the detailer first to see if only the ceramic coating was damaged. My detail guy tried to buff the lines out and reapply ceramic coating but the lines are into the clearcoat so that is going to be an interesting discussion with the dealership.

My questions are:
1. Did your car have license plate grommets or were there merely two holes drilled into the tail panel?
2. Was there only one strip of foam tape on your car?
3. What type of license plate frame do people recommend (material, brand, etc.) ?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!
So I also just received a 2024 CT4-V Blackwing and the dealer didn’t install the paper plate ( I had to tape it on). When my plates arrived I realized the dealer did not install the nylon nuts into the rear bumper. There are two dimples that match the plate holes. Are there nuts behind the facia that I use with self tapping screws, or do I drill to add the nylon nuts? Asked the dealer and they are clueless.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back