Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V Blackwing License Plate Mounting Area Damage

fleezy

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Hello everyone. My CT4-V Blackwing arrived last month. Before picking the car up, the car was ceramic coated by a reputable detailer who also was recommended by the dealer. When I picked up the car, I had a temporary plate.

When my plate finally arrived, I went to install the plate and upon removing the dealer license frame, I noticed that the frame wasn't mounted securely and there were lines in the tail panel that matched the outline of the frame. I can only surmise that the frame was rubbing against the tail panel. In addition, I noticed that the screw holes appear to only be drilled into the tail panel with no finishing, and no grommets present. Finally, there is one black strip of foam tape on the panel that I assume is meant to keep the plate from rubbing against the tail panel. For some reason, a piece of the foam tape was ripped so it has to be replaced. That being said, the tape only fits against the bottom of the plate, so I am going to have to either put more foam tape behind the plate, or get a silicone license plate frame.

As soon as I noticed the lines, I took pictures and contacted the dealership. I then went to the dealership and we agreed that I needed to go to the detailer first to see if only the ceramic coating was damaged. My detail guy tried to buff the lines out and reapply ceramic coating but the lines are into the clearcoat so that is going to be an interesting discussion with the dealership.

My questions are:
1. Did your car have license plate grommets or were there merely two holes drilled into the tail panel?
2. Was there only one strip of foam tape on your car?
3. What type of license plate frame do people recommend (material, brand, etc.) ?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!

1) No grommets, just two holes in the plastic.
2) Yes, only one small piece of foam tape.
3) I'm using a smoked license plate cover that I picked up on Amazon for cheap. They're all about the same, IMO, so get whatever suits you best.

Last edited:
PXL_20220528_203116550.jpg

CF license plate frame from Amazon.

Too bad I don't have a matching spoiler...

I use this on my Shelby, if there was a line above the plate on my Shelby, I wouldnt care cause I cant see it, but on the BW if it didnt cover, it would drive me nuts
IMG_0882.JPG

Hopefully you can see the line that was left. I am having a hard time getting a good photo.

It's the straight line above the two screw holes.
It's annoying but that will never be seen and it sounds like it's just clear coat? Tell the dealership you'll settle for premium mats or something and forget about it if you bought it to drive vs storing for investment.

That’s about the cheesiest rear license plate mounting method I’ve ever seen. Usual method is a plastic sub-plate that is bolted to the car with 4 screws and 4 spacers. Then the license plate bolts onto the sub-plate.

That’s about the cheesiest rear license plate mounting method I’ve ever seen. Usual method is a plastic sub-plate that is bolted to the car with 4 screws and 4 spacers. Then the license plate bolts onto the sub-plate.
You are right. I was shocked to not see at least a license plate nut:

1654877372443.png

That all sounds very German. Americans are cheap
Yes, on the German cars I've owned. If I ever get a 5BW I'm going to do a custom job on it.

Are these holes something the dealer does or does it come that way from the factory?

Yes, on the German cars I've owned. If I ever get a 5BW I'm going to do a custom job on it.

Are these holes something the dealer does or does it come that way from the factory?
Dealer does it. Comes bare from the factory. German cars are the only ones I know of that install some sort of mounting plate at the rear from the factory. Unless you count american trucks that usually have plastic in that area instead of painted bumper

The 5 has plate nuts, since it goes into the metal trunk lid. The 4 probably has dimples to locate the screw holes for self tapping screws, since it looks to be located in the soft bumper cover portion.

Dealer does it. Comes bare from the factory. German cars are the only ones I know of that install some sort of mounting plate at the rear from the factory. Unless you count american trucks that usually have plastic in that area instead of painted bumper
So the dealer put the holes in the tail panel of my car? They didn't even mention that when I brought the car in and mentioned that I was shocked that there were just two holes drilled into the panel.

So the dealer put the holes in the tail panel of my car? They didn't even mention that when I brought the car in and mentioned that I was shocked that there were just two holes drilled into the panel.
Same thing they would do to mount a front plate bracket.

Yes. They could and probably should do it at the factory but I imagine the tooling investment needed for that would be a lot. I don't think dealerships are legally allowed to let you do it yourself either since the car should have at least a temporary plate on the back when you drive it off the lot.
Same thing they would do to mount a front plate bracket.
Also correct although buying a brand new car.. they aren't earning my business if they put on a front plate bracket cause I would have said at least 50 times I don't want it lol

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back