Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

chipped/cracked windshield, anything I need to know?

Seth

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-V Blackwing 46-404
Planning to just go to my local glass shop and get it replaced, but is there anything in particular about ct4v bw I should know?

[As an aside, here is a story of my luck: My partners family was in town and we went out to dinner. I paid for dinner and we went on our way. Get out to the car, and it has a flat tire. My partner and their family grabbed an Uber back home while I figured out the goop inflator thing which surprisingly worked. Next day, I realize my credit card is missing - so I call the restaurant and it's there. Going back to the restaurant something hits and cracks my windshield. Lol.]

IMG_3642.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3642.jpg
    IMG_3642.jpg
    943.4 KB · Views: 66
Wow, bad day, LOL. Sorry for your troubles. Make sure you get a direct replacement windshield made for the HUD and I believe you have to get a recalibration for the camera system (insurance should pay). The label on the bottom, passenger side of the windshield has the specifics (acoustic, HUD, etc).

I’ve been waiting over a month for a factory windshield. First one supposedly was lost in shipping. The second one is supposed to be enroute. Not sure if it’s the windshield place dropping the ball or if it’s just that much of a cluster.

I’ve been waiting over a month for a factory windshield. First one supposedly was lost in shipping. The second one is supposed to be enroute. Not sure if it’s the windshield place dropping the ball or if it’s just that much of a cluster.
Maybe it is attached to a car sitting in the lot of doom. 😏

There's definitely got to be a P. Terry's in a better location ;-)
But ya definitely don't accept anything less than a proper GM/Caddy windscreen. Could you contact your Caddy dealer and have them contact your insurance themselves (or the reverse) to ensure everything gets sorted.

Sorry to hear man. I took a road trip to Dallas over the weekend. I didn’t want to take the M5 because I didn’t want it to sustain any damage so I took my wife’s F-Pace. I heard a loud crack on the Dallas tollway on Saturday but didn’t see any damage. Then I found this on Sunday morning:

34075C01-5A72-44FD-B07A-18861B95ED37.jpeg

So I’m upset about this but glad it’s at least not in the field of view. I get back on the road after discovering this and 5 minutes later BAM another rock, another chip.

E68CF326-7E95-4CA2-AE3B-C1929DECFB5E.jpeg

Of course it’s a heated windscreen so it’s going to cost (my insurance) a million dollars to replace. I’d like to just have the chips filled in but it’s probably not an option since it has a heating element.

I knew I should have driven the beater!

I'll join the club..

I picked up my BW on Friday the 28th from the dealer after I had returned it to fix the dent that was caused by the shipper, and get the tint put on, so I've had it a total of 3 days and today got onto the highway and CRACK!

The noise that makes your stomach knot up as you look to see if it was just a rock smack vs. a rock chip.. and in the far passenger side of the window, I see a small star crack.. Good Ol' Arizona roads!

Guess it's similar in Texas based on this post.

But, to your point about repairing a heated windshield, I have repaired my other windshields many times when I get a small chip like this to prevent them from spreading and it works fine. I'll repair this one to keep it localized and luckily it's on the passenger side, so hopefully, I'll forget it soon.

I repair mine until they spread, and even then I let it go if it doesn't affect my line of sight. It's just not worth replacing the windshield here since Ill just have another chip within a week or so...

All depends on how your insurance works, but I have replaced factory glass a few times recently (not the BW, yet). I always go to the dealer and order the OEM glass and have a good mobile installer come to my house to put it in. That way, you get the correct glass, and get it installed and let it cure so it doesn't shift around. My insurance reimburses based on what it would cost at their installer with OEM glass. It always covers it. No need for calibrating the cameras with OEM glass.

Living in the desert, repairing windshields becomes a bit of a hobby, and necessity, so I decided to give this one a try and seal the chip from yesterday. Turned out pretty well, can't really even see it was cracked, other than a couple of dots..

Hopefully, since it's "broken in" now with its first crack, Ill be good for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_5808.jpg
    IMG_5808.jpg
    962.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5810.jpg
    IMG_5810.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5811.jpg
    IMG_5811.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5812.jpg
    IMG_5812.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
Living in the desert, repairing windshields becomes a bit of a hobby, and necessity, so I decided to give this one a try and seal the chip from yesterday. Turned out pretty well, can't really even see it was cracked, other than a couple of dots..

Hopefully, since it's "broken in" now with its first crack, Ill be good for a while.
Just had to do this. Caught a rock from a trunk that I’m not even behind on. Nice lil bullseye…less noticeable after fixing it with the same kit.

Has anyone been able to receive an OEM replacement from GM?
I am STILL waiting!!!!!!!!!!!! (!!!!)

Has anyone been able to receive an OEM replacement from GM?
I am STILL waiting!!!!!!!!!!!! (!!!!)
Wow, that's tough...I've had a bad chip/crack in mine I have been hesitant to get replaced because my insurance wants me to use Safelite. I guess I should start the process so maybe I can get glass by summer lol

After reading all these crack windshield issues I thinks it's probably a good idea to get my glass protected, aka PPF type of product, I understand they work okay.

What's the MSRP for the glass from the dealership?

I don't know actually what the MSRP for just the glass - I'm getting it installed at a third party shop closer to me and it's 1250 with glass/recalibration/installation.

I had my wife’s windshield replaced last week in her F-Pace. After asking the dealer to get me a quote multiple times with no response, I just called Safelite and had them come to my house. I didn’t even ask if it was OEM glass because it’s a lease and I’m leaning towards returning it next month: It wasn’t Jaguar branded glass but it was Pilkington which is close enough for me.

Good luck Seth! What a hassle.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners