Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Can I get your opinions on my front rotors

Seth

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-V Blackwing 46-404
Dealership says front pads and rotors need replacement to the tune of $3300……….

DF0B9CF7-E270-45D5-AA2F-DDCE394FC80B.jpeg

How many miles and how much track time?

That seems premature. No track time even with aggressive driving that seems too soon.

You should be able to look at the pad thickness without pulling the wheel, I would suspect the outside pads to be around 5-7 mm. At 4mm is when you should think about replacing them, as they do not tend to wear evenly from top to bottom and from the inside and outside pads, or across axles.

Those rotors look like they have some hotspots. Typically you should be able to have the rotors resurfaced at least once along with a new fresh set of pads and then they're done.

I think you should get a second opinion.

I just went to RockAuto to price these and see they're out of stock which is probably why you're getting screwed on pricing.

FWIW, I've got over 26k miles and a couple of track days. On second set of pads but original rotors still holding up.

What prompted your trip to the dealer?
Can you give us a breakdown of the break issues you are having?

You say that - "Dealership says front pads and rotors need replacement to the tune of $3300………."

Do you have a vibration or shaking in the steering column or brake pedal when stopping?

(1) "I have a story" for you regarding many Cadillac dealer service departments' lack of knowledge regarding V Performance vehicles, their incompetence, or just plain rip-off/fraud.

(2) I have assembled information from numerous sources, including directly from Brembo, regarding how the Brakes on Cadillac Blackwing vehicles work.

(3) I have a much cheaper solution for you to try.

My 5bw was vibrating called dealer May 1 for appt with loaner car. Appt was May 26 they put new rotors & pads on. Mileage was 9k

Attachments

• AED60946-E070-4A2F-AE40-6FA6B758366C.jpeg
    AED60946-E070-4A2F-AE40-6FA6B758366C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 116
The rotor edge lip is normal, at least it is on German cars. The pad rides up against the lip. You have to measure rotor thickness with a micrometer with the hooks on the end to go around the lip. A few measurements should be taken around the rotor and typically the min and max thickness should be imprinted on the rotor hat.

If the pads have at least 5mm left it might be worth it to resurface the rotors and bed the existing pads in to get more miles out of them.

Those high spots on the rotors could just be excess pad material that built up which you could also just try bedding the pads in and seeing if that alleviates the issues, but I would only do that if there is a good amount of pad life left.

1690318701838.png

My 5bw was vibrating called dealer May 1 for appt with loaner car. Appt was May 26 they put new rotors & pads on. Mileage was 9k
That's insane for a street car with no track time, I wonder if something prematurely caused them to wear that quickly.

What prompted your trip to the dealer?
Can you give us a breakdown of the break issues you are having?

You say that - "Dealership says front pads and rotors need replacement to the tune of $3300………."

Do you have a vibration or shaking in the steering column or brake pedal when stopping?

(1) "I have a story" for you regarding many Cadillac dealer service departments' lack of knowledge regarding V Performance vehicles, their incompetence, or just plain rip-off/fraud.

(2) I have assembled information from numerous sources, including directly from Brembo, regarding how the Brakes on Cadillac Blackwing vehicles work.

I went to the dealership for an oil change and asked them to check my brake pads because they are squealing (which appears to be somewhat normal for these cars). I’m not really having brake issues, which is a large reason I’m suspicious of their claims.

I had front rotors with pad deposits that looked like yours for a few weeks. Initially I was concerned but I wasn’t experiencing any significant pulsing or vibrations so I checked the pad and rotor thicknesses and took it to a trackday. Problem solved. As long as your rotors and pads are not too thin, try bedding procedure. Or better yet, go to the track. I’m wondering if wheel cleaner products have anything to do with this.

I recently participated in a Cadillac V-Club Tech talk. It is my recollection that Brembo stated that, "Cadillac Blackwing Metal Rotors should NOT be resurfaced, they must be replaced". I will hunt for that information.
If they expect us to not resurface otherwise perfectly good rotors that only have an uneven layer of pad deposit they could at least give us a ring only option rather than a whole rotor/hat assembly. I can’t wait until Girodisc or DBA gets a front rotor to market

I went to the dealership for an oil change and asked them to check my brake pads because they are squealing (which appears to be somewhat normal for these cars). I’m not really having brake issues, which is a large reason I’m suspicious of their claims.
That’s why some call them ‘Stealerships’.

If they expect us to not resurface otherwise perfectly good rotors.

FWIW I usually replace rotors or do a heavy bed in procedure in lieu of refinish/resurface. I suspect it recommends replacement because these braking systems are track capable. Resurfaced rotors put alot of heat on the steel face of the rotor and they are then more prone to symptoms associated with a warped rotor when tracked.

I recently participated in a Cadillac V-Club Tech talk. It is my recollection that Brembo stated that, "Cadillac Blackwing Metal Rotors should NOT be resurfaced, they must be replaced". I will hunt for that information.
Mother of God your right, attached is the service manual disc brake specs
Screenshot_20230725_153234_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20230725_153226_Drive.jpg

Last edited:

Interested in 2 & 3, curious how the brake by wire and general brake monitoring for track use (since there are no dedicated thermal sensors) may be accomplished outside of the stock setup

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back