Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Cadillac V-Series Blackwing to Feature Exclusive Magnesium Wheels

Rob

Administrator
Staff member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
Not Yet!
The 2022 Cadillac CT4-V and CT-5 Blackwing series will feature exclusive magnesium wheels to save unsprung weight and enhance ride and handling.

According to a recent press release by Cadillac, these will be the only GM models to features these high performance wheels in the near future.

This is the first time that this type of wheel has ever been offered on any Cadillac model.

2022-Cadillac-Blackwing-Magnesium-Wheel.jpg

Below is the official press release from Cadillac:

Cadillac V-Series Blackwing Previews Exclusive Magnesium Wheels to Enhance Ride and Handling​

2020-10-30

DETROIT – Today, Cadillac unveiled one of the first uncamouflaged exterior images of its V-Series Blackwing vehicles, showcasing the cars’ exclusive magnesium wheels. The 2022 CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing will be the only GM products to offer magnesium wheels in the near future.

Inspired by the championship-winning Cadillac DPi-V.R race car, the optional forged magnesium alloy wheels will help reduce the unsprung weight of the vehicle, improving ride and handling, and the overall driving experience.

Five Fast Facts About Magnesium

1. Magnesium has the highest strength-to-weight ratio of all commonly available metals1.
2. Magnesium wheels absorb road vibration and transform it into heat, which is dissipated1.
3. Magnesium was first discovered in 1755 and is the eighth most abundant element in the Earth’s crust2.
4. Formula 1, MotoGP and World Endurance Championship teams use forged magnesium wheels to improve acceleration times and enhance safety1.
5. Magnesium is a mineral needed by every cell in the human body3.

The 2022 CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing will be available4 starting summer 2021. Visit the V-Series Blackwing future vehicles page on Cadillac.com to sign up for future product updates.

1 According to MagnesiumWheels.com
2 According to The Royal Science of Chemistry
3 According to the National Institutes of Health
4V-Series Blackwing models will have limited availability

Looks like it is not an option on the first 250 blackwings. I wonder why not?
I spoke with Cadillac a short time ago and here's the response I got from them:

The magnesium wheels are an option that Cadillac will offer on the CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing, but it will not be available at the start of production.

We expect the forged aluminum alloy wheel to be the volume wheel on both cars at launch and have planned for that demand. However, we expect to have the magnesium wheel available for enthusiasts in the near future.

I spoke with Cadillac a short time ago and here's the response I got from them:
I guess we all like an upgrade.

My GT350R has the Carbon Fiber wheels.

I wonder how much these wheels will run.

D.

Hopefully we'll be able to purchase them later as an accessory.
Let's hope so! Given all of the issues I'm seeing with Corvette LPOs, I wouldn't be surprised if the same supplier issues are a reason why the magnesium wheels will be offered later in the year.

By the way, those are some fine Corvettes in your avatar! (y)

Hopefully we'll be able to purchase them later as an accessory.
Yes, Cadillac should come back to us early adapters and make us a below retail offer once these wheels become available. Honestly, I don't find them aesthetically pleasing however, they're magnesium.

it's unfortunate that the manufacturer could get these ready for the planned (not so well apparently) production date.

While I love the idea of these, to me, they’re not at all attractive. Oops, I see that I already said that above.

I originally thought this was to compete against the forthcoming BMW M5 CS (which I had a lead on until they slapped a $20K ADM on it), but those are gold bronze. I think with the right paint, they look pretty good.
I do think they'll look really good on a black raven or an infrared tint coat car. I'll go with aftermarket wheels instead though.

I originally thought this was to compete against the forthcoming BMW M5 CS (which I had a lead on until they slapped a $20K ADM on it), but those are gold bronze. I think with the right paint, they look pretty good.
I agree that the color of the mag wheels can look really good with certain exterior colors but, the design leaves a lot to be desired for me.

I agree that the color of the mag wheels can look really good with certain exterior colors but, the design leaves a lot to be desired for me.
absolutely! They're too closed off for my taste...I like big open spaces so the calipers can show off...hahahaha

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back