Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Brakes: Cross-Drilled Rotors and Dust - EPA Guidelines

Rob

Administrator
Staff member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
Not Yet!
@Mirza Grebovic

Mirza,

A while back, I had heard that cross-drilled rotors were no longer an option with the introduction of the C8 Corvette because of the amount of dust they create and the EPA changing the guidelines in reference to acceptable levels of brake dust allowed.

I noticed that the CT5-V Blackwing's J57 rotors are cross-drilled, but carbon ceramic. I assume that since carbon-ceramic rotors produce significantly less amounts of brake dust than standard iron rotors, cross-drilled carbon-ceramic rotors still fall below the EPA's threshold?

Carbon brakes are very tricky in wet since cold due to water and very smooth surface. Hence holes help remove water in panic stop that is sandwiched between pad and rotor. Carbons also need temperature to work good, holes help with initial bite since on street (or freeway) they are "cold". Finally, they help cool since carbon brakes operate at significantly higher temps and the holes go into the vanes. Nothing to do with dust and EPA, all new linings are copper free, the copper dust caused concern, carbon or not.

Carbon brakes are very tricky in wet since cold due to water and very smooth surface. Hence holes help remove water in panic stop that is sandwiched between pad and rotor. Carbons also need temperature to work good, holes help with initial bite since on street (or freeway) they are "cold". Finally, they help cool since carbon brakes operate at significantly higher temps and the holes go into the vanes. Nothing to do with dust and EPA, all new linings are copper free, the copper dust caused concern, carbon or not.
Thank you!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners