Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Brake Pad Stick / Seize

I have an M3 that sits outside in the rain here in the Seattle suburbs and does the same thing on the infrequent occasion I drive it (about once/month.)
If the stock brake pads are suitable for track day use(which they are, from what I've gathered) then they probably have a higher amount of porous metal within the compound. The dissimilar metals from the iron rotor and the pads themselves cause surface rust which could form a weak bond between the pad and rotor surface with water and moisture present. This will happen with aftermarket metallic and semi-metallic track pads as well. Any 'track ready' car worth its price will have metallic stock pads like these and it is very normal for the pad to stick to the rotor after being parked in the wet and/or humid conditions. My Veloster N(also another track ready car) with stock pads does this. And my previous cars with aftermarket track pads also do this. Completely normal, and is a compromise when buying track ready cars.

Curious if the z26 pads are working to minimize this wet weather rust/seize situation. Any better?
Well, I did order them but I've had other projects over the holidays and just have felt like doing it. So I don't have any updates. Plus, my rotors now look like this from all sticking they've been doing. Surprisingly I don't have any vibration yet when the brakes are applied but that'll change. I may make time this weekend and get them changed out.

20230105_125922.jpg

I've had this only when my car is stored for winter after a wash.

Come spring sometimes I have to rev it good to get it to move and its not am auto so that's always fun, I didn't even know it was because of the water on the brakes from the fall wash.

I learned something new.

Well, I did order them but I've had other projects over the holidays and just have felt like doing it. So I don't have any updates. Plus, my rotors now look like this from all sticking they've been doing. Surprisingly I don't have any vibration yet when the brakes are applied but that'll change. I may make time this weekend and get them changed out.

View attachment 15714

Doing a dozen or so very hard braking stops should make the rotor face as good as new. Think bedding in brake pads kind of procedure.

Doing a dozen or so very hard braking stops should make the rotor face as good as new. Think bedding in brake pads kind of procedure.

I've tried that a couple of times during the summer and I wasn't successful. I would usually do 10 to 15 aggressive 65mph to 20mph stops with no ABS activation. Then I'd drive it a few miles without braking to help it cool down. A track day has fixed it every time though.

I'll have to do it again anyway because I do plan on changing those pads to the ones I ordered which means they'll have to be bed in.

Last edited:
+1 on the drive it around the block to prevent the sticking. This is pretty typical of cars with high performance brakes. I can watch the rotors rust over before I even get done washing the car. :)

I replaced the OEM pads at about 600 miles with Z26 PowerStops for dusting purposes and I have not had this problem. However I park in a level garage and have an automatic, that likely has never had the parking brake on. Are the pad outlines the brake pad or the parking brake outline?

I replaced the OEM pads at about 600 miles with Z26 PowerStops for dusting purposes and I have not had this problem. However I park in a level garage and have an automatic, that likely has never had the parking brake on. Are the pad outlines the brake pad or the parking brake outline?

If you're talking about the picture of my rotor, that's my front rotor.

If you're talking about the picture of my rotor, that's my front rotor.
Would you mind if I shipped you a bottle of wheel cleaner and a wheel brush? It would make me feel a lot better. Alternately, can I invite you to join my other thread?

Would you mind if I shipped you a bottle of wheel cleaner and a wheel brush? It would make me feel a lot better. Alternately, can I invite you to join my other thread?

It's been raining/snowing for 4 days.

Just spray a little WD-40 on the rotor. No more sticking! (Or braking)

THIS IS A JOKE. I REPEAT DO NOT DO THIS

Just today, wanted to launch the BW and the brakes stick for a minute, cars hesitates to move? Throttle and it rolls.

THIS IS AFTER, I cleaned the car and wheels. It sat overnight, today stuck. For a second? WTH is that about? Happens often.

Blow dry the brake pads? Sticks pretty good.

Just today, wanted to launch the BW and the brakes stick for a minute, cars hesitates to move? Throttle and it rolls.

THIS IS AFTER, I cleaned the car and wheels. It sat overnight, today stuck. For a second? WTH is that about? Happens often.
Uhh...did you read the thread?

Uhh...did you read the thread?
Sometimes, why?

The pads stick?

EDIT: I do not drive the car after I clean it most of the time. Is that an OCD thing I missed? Can do....Wash, park. May drive? I don't get it? Brakes, glued next day?

Last edited:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners