Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Brake Pad Stick / Seize

Sometimes, why?

The pads stick?

EDIT: I do not drive the car after I clean it most of the time. Is that an OCD thing I missed? Can do....Wash, park. May drive? I don't get it? Brakes, glued next day?
I literally have no idea what information you are trying to convey or request. There is a Cadillac engineer in this thread describing the problem and how to fix it. What are you still confused about?

I literally have no idea what information you are trying to convey or request. There is a Cadillac engineer in this thread describing the problem and how to fix it. What are you still confused about?
Seen Mizra's post, there is a difference between confused and frustrated, with how often this happens. Tight tolerances between the pads and discs and more often than not, I do not immediately take the car out for quick spin to dry off the pads and discs? If I'm heading out, I just head out. No big deal, like I said they stick pretty good. Never had that issue with any other vehicle I've owned. Haven't had a moment to look and see, but Mizra says it's in the owner's manual referring to this issue? My consolation I guess is I have a BW...;)....Thank you sir for trying to get it sorted out for me..

I found it was my parking brake sticking after each wash or rain storm when parked overnight causing my issue. It happened to ALL my performance cars (09’ Z06, 13’ Z06, 16’ Z06, 17’ ZL1, 22’ 5BW) except one that had CCB brakes, my 10’ ZR1 car. Nature of the beast!

If I didn’t drive after hand washing, when I parked each manual trans car back in my garage, I would leave parking brake off and use a wheel chock on front and rear of drivers front tire. If an auto car, I leave the parking brake off and car in park. No issues. I have washed my 22’ 5BW auto car now 4 times and by following my same practice, not once have I had sticking brakes.

Not sure what to think about one of the previous posts showing the front brake rotor marks. The one time I had seen something similar, I found it to be related to heating up the brakes with hard stops and staying on the brakes waiting too long to take off again.

All of my cars were not daily drivers, so I realize others that use these for daily drivers may not be able to use my methods.

All my other non performance cars (daily drivers) don’t have this problem as different brake materials.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Problem solved ;) Nice and dry.

First step in my evolution towards an a "non" ICE world. :(

Attachments

• EV Blower.jpg
    EV Blower.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 48
Curious if the z26 pads are working to minimize this wet weather rust/seize situation. Any better?

I installed these last night and bed them in. I'll know tomorrow morning if they stick or not since it's raining/snowing here all day.

I installed these last night and bed them in. I'll know tomorrow morning if they stick or not since it's raining/snowing here all day.
The Z26 is a ceramic pad. So by its very composition, it will not have the same problem as the OEM pad. The Z26 is not a performance pad. It's designed for low-dust, quiet operation.

Just out of curiosity, does this (sticking) damage rotors and pads prematurely? Any SME that can weigh in?

Just out of curiosity, does this (sticking) damage rotors and pads prematurely? Any SME that can weigh in?

IMHO, there is no damage. It's a bit of adhesion due to very thin layer of rust. When you power it free, the pad shape that was left on the rotor will be scrubbed off in the course of normal braking. I've never heard of a case where a chunk of the pad broke off or any thing permanent was left on the rotor.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back