Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Blackwings and Watches

I just can't fathom wearing a watch that costs as much as a car........unless you are financially comfortable enough to own one. My brother has a Rolex that he wears only when he goes out on special occasions and he admits that he worries about banging it around. I don't have that fear about my watches. The most expensive one is probably around $400 - $500. The memory of how and why I got the watch can be priceless. My G-shocks are probably my most worn watches. The Richard Mille watches (to me) are crap. You need 5 minutes to figure out what time it is. Those watches are more a piece of expensive jewelry and a status symbol. I watch You Tube and see there are so many very good fakes (or replicas) as some call them. This is my Swiss Legend Titanium, that if you fall in the water, the weight will drag you to the bottom !

Attachments

• 20230119_135708.jpg
    20230119_135708.jpg
    724.7 KB · Views: 44
I just can't fathom wearing a watch that costs as much as a car........unless you are financially comfortable enough to own one. My brother has a Rolex that he wears only when he goes out on special occasions and he admits that he worries about banging it around.
Absolutely respect that point of view, but from a converse point of view, you don't have to worry about flipping your watch upside down in a ditch when you're having a bit too much fun with it, or having it destroyed by an inattentive person futzing on their phone while on your commute. :LOL:

Side note on Rolex - part of the reason Rolex got to where it is today is because they're basically indestructible tanks. They built their rep on being hard-core instruments that explorers and adventurers would wear. Although the clientele changed they're still able to take quite a beating...

Absolutely respect that point of view, but from a converse point of view, you don't have to worry about flipping your watch upside down in a ditch when you're having a bit too much fun with it, or having it destroyed by an inattentive person futzing on their phone while on your commute. :LOL:

Side note on Rolex - part of the reason Rolex got to where it is today is because they're basically indestructible tanks. They built their rep on being hard-core instruments that explorers and adventurers would wear. Although the clientele changed they're still able to take quite a beating...
When I got my first “expensive” watch there was a tendency to baby it at first. What I did was just wear it every day doing what I normally would do. It did get some scratches and so forth, but now I just look at it like a tool. There is a big difference in entry level luxury watches and less expensive watches. The way it feels on the wrist and how it looks under different lighting conditions. I just enjoy certain watches too much to keep them stashed away. Some I will hold for “special” occasions, but those will be sold eventually and a new watch will replace it. In the end it’s a hobby that either one gets the bug or they don’t.

Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Diver.

Just like the Rift Metallic of Pegasus (my 5BW's name), the dial has a tendency to change colors depending on the light.
20230207_160616.jpg

Gorgeous Burgandy dial. I know that piece extremely well ;-)

View attachment 16746
I had the SS bracelet but the ex claimed it "was not in the safe & no where to be found" after I moved out during the divorce. 🤬

Yours also looks to be in much better shape than mine -- I used to daily it for >15 years & wasn't very careful with it. I would wear it working on my race cars, yard work, etc. The case & crystal have all kinds of micro abrasions on them.

I had the SS bracelet but the ex claimed it "was not in the safe & no where to be found" after I moved out during the divorce. 🤬

Yours also looks to be in much better shape than mine -- I used to daily it for >15 years & wasn't very careful with it. I would wear it working on my race cars, yard work, etc. The case & crystal have all kinds of micro abrasions on them.
I adore UN's rubber strap with titanium links. But on the burgandy dial, I preferred the bracelet. UN has a terrific service department in Boca Raton. A new crystal is not too bad if you ever need one.

I got to admit I have really been enjoying this thread and have gotten quite an education on watches from you guys.
If you guys are aware of, could you possibly include the size of the face? Just to satisfy my curiosity as these old eyes can't read those fancy watches with three different dials in them. Way too busy. I think my favorite so far was a Zenith somebody showed earlier. Very clean, simple and incredible illuminescence

Thanks - I agonized over the watch purchase even longer than over the car purchase (though thankfully it took a week to get once I decided compared to the 6 months for my car).

I love a good watch that has an intense "lume" for night. I saw a story where they used to use radioactive paint to mark the dial. The woman that painted the dials used to lick the tips of the brushes to get a nice point. Sadly, they did not live long after the radiation poisoning set in. Timex does make the nice Indiglo watches.

Happy Thursday fellas.

Panerai PAM372 here. OG, this one is listed as 47mm, which is very large for a watch, but that measurement refers to case size. The dial, I would have to try and measure that. Most Panerais are extremely legible, as the brand started as an Italian Navy instruments company, and visibility under water was the key design criteria.

372 - Copy.jpg

Now, here is a photo of the same watch in the CT4-V BW I briefly owned. Which allows me to highlight a great feature of the car most overlook... the sueded, soft touch door trim above the armrest. Perfect for placing your arm without fear of scratching a fine timepiece on abrasive material (y)

372-2.jpg

Happy Thursday fellas.

Panerai PAM372 here. OG, this one is listed as 47mm, which is very large for a watch, but that measurement refers to case size. The dial, I would have to try and measure that. Most Panerais are extremely legible, as the brand started as an Italian Navy instruments company, and visibility under water was the key design criteria.

View attachment 16769

Now, here is a photo of the same watch in the CT4-V BW I briefly owned. Which allows me to highlight a great feature of the car most overlook... the sueded, soft touch door trim above the armrest. Perfect for placing your arm without fear of scratching a fine timepiece on abrasive material (y)

View attachment 16770
Excellent! For me, that's the Blackwing watch .... (y)

Excellent! For me, that's the Blackwing watch .... (y)
A week ago I almost bought a PAM1370. The thing about Paneria watches is they don't hold value very well and the movements are not that great. But I like the look and the 1370 is still on my consideration list.

A week ago I almost bought a PAM1370. The thing about Paneria watches is they don't hold value very well and the movements are not that great. But I like the look and the 1370 is still on my consideration list.
Yup - Panerai has been kinda up and down on that. I was in Florence on vacation a few years back so it felt remiss not to pick one up in the original Firenze San Giovanni boutique. I got a PAM658 and the movement's decently impressive - true GMT with a micro rotor, two spring barrels etc

IMG_8950.jpeg

Yup - Panerai has been kinda up and down on that. I was in Florence on vacation a few years back so it felt remiss not to pick one up in the original Firenze San Giovanni boutique. I got a PAM658 and the movement's decently impressive - true GMT with a micro rotor, two spring barrels etc

View attachment 16776
They are kinda hit and miss in their product line. They introduced the P.900 movement in many of their watches as a thinner replacement, which is really not an in-house movement even though they say it is. The P.900 is a little disappointing as it's really a downgrade and I suspect was done to cut costs. Plus it doesn't have hacking seconds. Not a complete deal breaker for me, just wouldn't except that in a watch at that price point.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back