Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Blackwings and Watches

Toyota GIF

@Throat Yogurt
I just lost my 💩 I am laughing so hard!

You Are Awesome GIF

I am a big fan of my G-Shocks. Used them for years in the military and law enforcement. Recently I got hooked on the Invicta Pro Divers. Here is my current collection. My Dad told me to have a watch to wear, not have a watch wear you.......like a Rolex. Here is my new Cadillac Racing watch. Its only a cheap $30 watch from Amazon. I already changed out the really pathetic metal band for a silicon band and feels nice on my wrist for a large case. My kids gave it to me, so its worth more than a Rolex !

Attachments

• 20230206_164245.jpg
    20230206_164245.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
  • 20221213_221045.jpg
    20221213_221045.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
My Dad told me to have a watch to wear, not have a watch wear you.......like a Rolex.
I think my 5BW is 100% wearing me.

As for the Rolex, they are very entry level for a luxury watch. They have more brand recognition than most watches, but there are many superior watches at the same price point that are very under the radar.

Interesting, well, I'm a Rolex fan and have other nice watches too... I have way more inexpensive watches than expensive ones..... I'm just a small time collector.... I just don't understand the hate and the let the watch wear me thing..... Yep, this thread is no fun no more.... Oh well.....
Vintage Rolex is 🤤 ... but with anything recent, all people (present company excepted) seem to wanna talk about is how much it cost and how hard it was to get. Also with people getting beat down left right and center all over the world for them, showing them off kinda loses the allure.

Interesting side question. What watch we you think most complements the Blackwing, like philosophically or stylistically? For example, Porche = Rolex all the way (same sales model with SS and GT), Tesla = Apple Watch, Toyota = Seiko, Lexus = Grand Seiko, Ford = Timex, Mercedes = Omega, Nissan = Invicta ....

I have a few ideas but curious what you guys think

Last edited:
Interesting, well, I'm a Rolex fan and have other nice watches too... I have way more inexpensive watches than expensive ones..... I'm just a small time collector.... I just don't understand the hate and the let the watch wear me thing..... Yep, this thread is no fun no more.... Oh well.....
I’m not a Rolex fanboy as I like a variety of watches and styles that simply cannot be met with a Rolex. That being said I have one inbound this week, the only real tool watch that Rolex makes, and I’m sure you can guess what I’m talking about.

This Bark&Jack commentary I found interesting.

Yep, a polar and I have some NATO straps on the way from Strapcode. Hopefully that will dress it down to my liking.
With a gray or olive NATO, 🔥🔥
Please do post a pic of that one!

Interesting side question. What watch we you think most complements the Blackwing, like philosophically or stylistically? For example, Porche = Rolex all the way (same sales model with SS and GT), Tesla = Apple Watch, Toyota = Seiko, Lexus = Grand Seiko, Ford = Timex, Mercedes = Omega, Nissan = Invicta ....

Hamilton.

Or Elgin but they are out of business.

Hamilton.

Or Elgin but they are out of business.
IMO, Ball watches would also be on the top of the list given their significance to the safety regulations set for railroads in the late 1800s. They were a family owned business up until the late 1980s when they were sold off, now headquartered in Switzerland.

I've got a few more but after @668LT4 last post I can't compete...

Why so many Rolex haters?
Nonsense good buddy. The thread is just to share watches, with Blackwings if desired. No competition. Does not matter if it is a Casio or an AP, a Seiko or a Rolex. Never has been important to me.

First thing that comes to mind is Kobold or Resco. They are made in limited numbers and can be hard to get like a Blackwing.

First thing that comes to mind is Kobold or Resco.
Those are some deep cuts... love it.

For me, what came to mind first was not necessarily an American brand, but
  • Brand with a really long history
  • Kinda died after the 60's but came back in a big way in the early 2000's
  • Really passionate fan base but sometimes looked down upon by Haute or Haute wannabe brands
  • Shouts kinda loud and has a bit of a muscular reputation

Wow........never thought anyone would know what a Kobold is. I bought of their first watches over 20 years ago. I am pretty sure it's a re-badged Sinn, but it was the perfect sports watch for me. I can't remember the model's name, but it only had 50 pieces in the original series. They probably figured it would be tough to sell more than that !!
Kobold_Chronograph.jpeg

Sadly, I am now too old to read the stopwatch piece, so I use my phone to time cooking on the grill. So when it finally needed servicing, I was able to get a dive watch that I've always wanted for less than service would've cost on the Kobold !! I was kinda surprised Kobold was still around. But I was definitely surprised they have nothing like this watch now, and their prices have skyrocketed.

Certina_Diver.jpg

I had not checked in on modern Horology in the past 20 years, but learned that ETA no longer sells movements to outside companies, and have apparently started innovating again. I did not know Certina existed, but it was the most attractive dive watch I could find. It also has an 80 hr power reserve. It was a touch choice, but I ultimately chose that over a glass back. It is truly a shame to not be able to see the "guts" of any mechanical watch.

20 years ago I could not choose between a sports watch and a dress watch, so I got both. This Nomos was a gem in the rough, coming from the then-new Glaschutte area of former East Germany. It was also dirt cheap compared to modern prices. I still think it is the most elegant timepiece ever. Its razor thin and keeps perfect time (if you remember to wind it).

nomos_front.jpeg

I have the 226570 in polar..
How do you like it? I actually don’t have any white dial watches (except for a 1950s Rolex that was my grandfathers and I rarely wear that and no doubt it needs servicing) and thought I would try to branch out. I initially thought I would get a blue dial Panerai or a Zenith El Primero but I just didn’t connect.

Vintage Rolex is 🤤 ... but with anything recent, all people (present company excepted) seem to wanna talk about is how much it cost and how hard it was to get. Also with people getting beat down left right and center all over the world for them, showing them off kinda loses the allure.

I might go this way:
Omega - Aston Martin
Porsche - Rolex or Panarai
Ford - GShock
Ferrari - AP
Rolls - Patek Philippe
Brietling - Bentley

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac