Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Best way to store rear seats?

GTANotch88

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
'22 CT5-V BW
When I eventually take delivery of my 5BW, I will be looking to swap out the rear seats. Yes, this may sound odd I know, but its what makes the most sense for me personally. I will need to put two child seats in the back for my boys(4&8) and I know the childseats over time tend to dent/damage the seats underneath, plus I'm sure they'll make a mess of the backseat regardless. So to address that, once I can 100% confirm the seat fitment is the same, I will be buying a used rear seat out of a regular ct5. Then I will keep my original seats in storage. That is also the main reason I stayed with the base interior. I can't image how bad my boys would probably destroy the suede or CF seat backs.

So my original question is, How should I store the rear seats once removed?

I assume wrap them in plastic and keep them laying down, supported from underneath, with nothing laying on top or pushing against the sides.
But what kind of plastic?
A large garbage bag or 2?
If a garbage bag, could they get too hot and stick the the seat?
Is there a better plastic like the stretch/cling film?
Do I want to have the plastic air tight or let it breathe?
Do I need to worry about moisture/ambient temperatures?
Should I treat the seats prior to bagging them up with a leather conditioner or similar?
Should they be cleaned/conditioned periodically, like every year or so?
Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks for any advice.

Disclaimer: I speak from a standpoint of no expertise. This is some of the things I'd do if I was in the same situation:

I'd consider buying those really large moisture grabber packets and put those somewhere in the bag holding your seats. Also, I'd use a clear material if possible (with some breathable properties) to check in on the seats from time to time but store the seats somewhere cool to cold and dark (but not damp - a hard combination). I'd probably use a leather conditioner but let that conditioner settle in for a few days before bagging up the seats.

I think most importantly I'd probably check in on the seats once every 2-3 months for the first year to see how they're doing and smelling and if it seems to be working extend those check-ins to maybe 2 times a year.

Something that would be important for me is being able to check on them periodically to make sure no rodents get to them. I recently saw a 2021 Mercedes SUV that a rat had made home base. The interior was destroyed from front to back. Scratches even on the headliner and door panels and the owner's manual in the underfloor space in the back was nibbled on. Underhood wiring was also a mess.

Haven't done what you're considering but if I were in this position I think I'd get I'd get 2 of the large moving blankets from Harbor Freight or similar and used them to wrap the seats. I'd want something that cam breathe and not trap moisture.

I do have 4 2lb bags of desiccant that I used to use when I would store any of my cars outside or in a trailer.
I do have options as to where to store them, as in the garage, an unheated basement, a heated finished basement, utility room, attic, finished attic, spare bedroom, etc.
The moving blankets are a good idea for the breath-ability.

Years back I had a "car capsule" for my one car where the manufacturer recommends not using any moisture absorbing products and they said it was rodent/insect proof. Think of a big bubble for a car with a fan inflating it. Worked great but the capsule has since been neglected and no longer usable imo. I may buy another to store a different car in, and if I do, I could put the seats in with that car since the constant air flow prevents mold/mildew.

I do have 4 2lb bags of desiccant that I used to use when I would store any of my cars outside or in a trailer.
I do have options as to where to store them, as in the garage, an unheated basement, a heated finished basement, utility room, attic, finished attic, spare bedroom, etc.
The moving blankets are a good idea for the breath-ability.

Years back I had a "car capsule" for my one car where the manufacturer recommends not using any moisture absorbing products and they said it was rodent/insect proof. Think of a big bubble for a car with a fan inflating it. Worked great but the capsule has since been neglected and no longer usable imo. I may buy another to store a different car in, and if I do, I could put the seats in with that car since the constant air flow prevents mold/mildew.
Car Capsule would be ideal especially to protect against rodent, insect and mildew/mold. The only drawback is that they are expensive.

I have a 7 and 10 year old. So just finishing with the car seats. I had 2 SS's (the loves of my life... don't tell my wife, especially on 2/14) and now drive an S6. I've just used seat protectors with the OEM seats (never swapped out) and have never had an issue with dents/fading/tears etc.... except for all the frigging crumbs everywhere!

I have a 2yo still in a car seat. I have a old truck as well, if I need a car seat, I take the truck… that or the wife’s car.

I currently have a 2010 cts wagon and the back seats show child seat marks from the previous owner. I now have a seat in it too and dont really care with that car. I could take my wifes car when needed but sometimes I'd like to take the whole family out and drive my own car.
I'll price out a good cover/protector vs. used seats and see what makes sense.

You can buy the thin padded seat protectors that go on the cushion and up the seat back. They’re designed to protect your interior against car seats. I used them on my cars when my kids were young and it worked perfectly. Now food and drink mess, that’s another story…..

You can buy the thin padded seat protectors that go on the cushion and up the seat back. They’re designed to protect your interior against car seats. I used them on my cars when my kids were young and it worked perfectly. Now food and drink mess, that’s another story…..
Just bought a set on Amazon thanks to your post. Was using a folded up towel for ours thus far!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back