Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Automatic or Manual ?

Commonman

Seasoned Member
Despite every U Tube review of the CT5V- Blackwing preaching you have to "get the Manual" the fact remains that 59% of cars produced so far are automatics and 41% are manuals. I can see real advantages with either one. More content with the auto and more uniqueness and driver engagement with the manual. My question is do folks think the value of the manual will be substantially more over time than the automatic? Or is being the final ICE powered Cadillac with the brute engine and high performance running gear going to make it a classic regardless of transmission. I use the term "classic" optimistically, I know it is not assured.

There’s so many nice sedans with high output V8s and autos. I really prefer the interiors of many of those to the Cadillac. Pretty much every review will say the interior doesn’t hold up to the Germans and having an AMG right now I know that will be a downgrade for me. But the 6-spd, that’s a major upgrade I’m willing to make the trade for.

I think we are in the age of automatics being OK in the long term. They aren't like automatics of the past where they were sluggish and didn't inspire confidence at the limit. Manuals will be the go to for collectors for a long time, until we have a generation that doesn't really get exposed to manuals and therefor aren't as memorable and desirable to them.

For me personally, I have room and money for one car in my life and it needs to fit more than one function, so I went auto on my CT4 BW.

It’s not a matter of value retention.

There currently are several equal or better automatic sedans in the marketplace than a 5BW.
There currently is no other sedan being produced like the 5BW manual.

At the end of the day buy what moves you, and the auto is faster in every way, so get that if speed is more important to you than engagement. Either way this is your last chance EVER to get a new RWD sedan that pushes 680hp in a manual from any manufacturer. That may not mean much to some people, but such omissions are the building blocks of future regret. ;)

This is really the end of the V8 ICE manual cars. Eventually there will be manuals available in EVs, but that could be many years. Eventually EVs will be replaced by something else, but that’s going to be a while.

Let me put on my Manual Elitist Jerk hat here for a minute...

There are plenty of reasons to get a Blackwing with the slushbox. Those reasons include, and are limited to:
1. Your left leg was blown off in 'Nam
2. Your left leg was blown off in Iraq
3. Your left leg was blown off in Afghanistan
4. You don't deserve a car like this

But seriously, I have never understood buying a car that was designed first and foremost around driver engagement, and then intentionally filtering out a large portion of that engagement by choosing the auto. Yes, the auto is faster, but then so is a Tesla or any number of other cars that also don't have a clutch. Let's be honest, while you might track or drag your Blackwing, being 0.1% slower at either of those tasks doesn't matter in the least.

But I think it goes deeper than that. If you are actually putting down hard earned money and time to go through the goat rodeo of getting this car, then you are a car enthusiast. And it is my opinion that car enthusiasts who have the means to do so have an obligation to Save The Manuals. If a car has the option of a stick, you must get it. Even if an automatic might work better for you 51% of the time.

Finally, it is beyond a doubt that a manual-equipped Blackwing will be worth more in the future. But are you really buying your car as an investment? No, you're buying it to enjoy it. So allow yourself to enjoy it fully, and get the manual.

Or do whatever the F you want. ;)

There’s so many nice sedans with high output V8s and autos. I really prefer the interiors of many of those to the Cadillac. Pretty much every review will say the interior doesn’t hold up to the Germans and having an AMG right now I know that will be a downgrade for me. But the 6-spd, that’s a major upgrade I’m willing to make the trade for.

This says it all. If you are interested in an Auto, I would start shopping elsewhere.

Honestly if the auto came with supercruise for 2022 I might have gone auto, but I currently have the M6. For a 2023 the decision would be harder for me.

I'm gonna end up putting a ton of miles on it as a daily commuter so resale is gonna be probably not a factor. I've also kept every car I've ever owned and never sold a car in 20 years so.

If it was my main car I would have got an automatic, however since its a 3rd car I got it in manual. The manual will most likely hold its value better, if that matters to you.

Honestly I ordered one mainly due to life circumstances right now. I wanted a stick, but something I could pick up my kid in daycare if needed, take on a family trip or even out to dinner. There was really only 1 new car that kind of fit that bill for me and it was the 5BW.

Eventually I will probably sell it and move back into some mort sporty or "supercary" down the road.

I’ve had sticks so long starting with my first car in late 70’s(which we still have 70 Oldsmobile 442 convertible) through the 90’s with the only sedan with stick Ford SHO Yamaha base motor. Career had me driving manual’s for the last 35 years enough D for dummy 😎

The OP is asking about the re-sale value of the vehicle with the manual vs auto transmission.

I had and sold a 20' BMW M5 Competition just because Blackwing became available with a Manual. Like others have said there are plenty of fast sedans out there with a Auto. Not hateing on anyone that got a Blackwing with a Auto, I just prefer a Manual in my cars. Never give resale a thought as I get what strikes my fancy and sell it when something new comes out that I like better. YMMV

The OP is asking about the re-sale value of the vehicle with the manual vs auto transmission.
Which is an easy question to answer, the re-sale value of a manual will exceed that of an automatic, and there is lots of historical data to back that up.

In the meantime I'll be over here yelling at clouds with my MEJ hat on.

Kind of a no brainer if you are just looking at resale. How often in history is the automatic the more valuable offering?

Value in this market or future markets will hardly make a difference IMO.
Things will not change for some time to come

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners